Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Living in Interesting Times  (Read 34628 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Living in Interesting Times
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
Can't see a problem with what the moderators have done here, I've been here since 2007 and think they've done the forum a favour by getting rid of a negative influence. Good job mods 👏 👏 👏

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
Bit of a non story here tbh, don't have any problems with the forum always been good on here. People come and go on forums and if they are disruptive will not be missed overly.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »
I think a lot of the excitement has been generated by the huge bargains on offer as I sell off some of my kits!

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107750.0

What? Hey, I never said I was above exploiting free publicity to fund my exotic lifestyle!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ben Waterhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
I think a lot of the excitement has been generated by the huge bargains on offer as I sell off some of my kits!

What? Hey, I never said I was above exploiting free publicity to fund my exotic lifestyle!

I like the cut of your jib Sir!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 04:51:11 PM »
You crazy guy Cubs.

Actually, what a good idea.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »
What rewards indeed? Not quite the plastic gnome but...

When Alex handed over the keys to LAF, I said to my chum Mark Copplestone 'I've been given LAF you know? They love your stuff on there'. 'Should I do a welcome to the new ownership figure?' he said. 'Yeah, sounds good, what figure?' replied I.

Here it is, the International Adventurer. This is a Lead Adventure Members only miniature, you'll have to be a member to buy one. It'll be about 2 weeks before it's turned to metal, and before it's available to buy I do a prize draw. We'll randomly pick 10 LAF members (no Mods) and send them a free casting of the International Adventurer.

Look for a proper announcement soon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:03:15 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »

Exploiter!  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »
This has been a very sad business for me. I considered St____ a friend, though we hadn't spoken much in recent years. Maybe out of fellowship I should have fought his corner harder in the moderator discussions. But fellowship runs both ways. He didn't show me much consideration with his constant attempts to derail threads on the board I moderate and turn them into political slanging matches; with his consistently angry and confrontational demeanour, or his downright rude and abusive posts. It got to the point where I was receiving swearword-laden PMs accusing me of protecting him by other members he had upset, just for trying to give everyone a fair shake. But he consistently ignored my requests to let things lie. I didn't really appreciate being put in that position by someone I considered a friend.

So should I have fought his corner harder? Well maybe, but by that point he had worn out all the goodwill there once was and I was exhausted by his nonsense. Fellowship only goes so far. I don't know what happened to make him seem so angry all the time, because he never used to be like that. So yeah, I'm sad that it came to this, but I can't say I disagree with the decision.

Oh, and as for the accusation that we are a bunch of right-wing corporate fan-boys? Well, that's just fake news.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »
Too old to be called a boy? Nah, roun 'ere you'd get called an old boy . . . . . .

I think there have been a lot of 'coincidences' that have led to all of this underlying feeling recently. I'm not suggesting that they are all connected but it may seem that they are all from some perspectives. From my point of view I have witnessed the following things:

- Thread getting locked on the frostgrave thread, which was eventually and fairly explained.
- Another thread getting locked, moved and then removed asking about why it had come to be locked and by someone who could be seen as having a vested interest - prior to the explanation being given.
- Someone else had posts deleted, removed without reason given, raise that concern and then had their post removed.

Now, prior to the recent banning, which I am not in a position of knowledge to back or not, I may have locked horns with said person in a thread. Now, some of my posts were deleted as well. I'm not overly bothered, but no reason was given by message or anything.

Now, I had never experienced anything of the sort like that on LAF before so it was a bit of a surprise to me.

I do think that there are lessons to be learned. With the two related frostgrave posts, would it not have been better to merge the question post with the main thread, thus respecting the poster and then lock the thread so that it was clear their question had been answered without the need to delete it altogether?

Modding isn't easy. But it certainly will be more difficult if you have a set of strict principles to stick to. Again, I am not passing judgement on that, I have enjoyed LAF as much as anyone over the years. And it certainly retains appeal.

I say that as a mod of another forum which I helped to support and yet I visit here too.

Just to be clear, I'm not stating a complaint, just trying to underline why some folk may be feeling a bit uncertain. It isn't all just about one single action I don't think. Just several that have occurred in a short space of time.

One suggestion may be to call the frostgrave section 'official' or something like that so people are aware it is not a place to just shoot off their complaints. Perhaps that could be allowed to be somewhere else?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
Big up the moderators. The way you enforce the clearly defined rules is what makes this place such a great place to visit.

It certainly saddens me to hear the kind of aggro you appear to have gotten behind the scenes. There’s a few references about ‘much worse abuse on other forums’ like that justifies minor nonsense and abuse on here. The only reason we don’t have that here is down to the diligence of the moderator team here, I for one am very grateful for that.

I also think it’s incredibly poor form to jump on Nick before he’s been allowed to do anything, either positive or negative.

Yet another shit stirring post amongst several this week.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
@ mcfonz

I'm an ex-mod here and what you've mentioned has always been the way we've done it. We'd remove objectionable posts, posts quoting those posts and posts relating to those spats, as a matter of course; it saved peoples' blushes 'the morning after'. We'd lock posts that were close to becoming spats, but leave them visible. Nothing new, no new direction or anything like that; business as usual.

As for the ban, I recall that the person concerned was the 'co-respondent' at the time of the last ban, four years ago and came within a whisker of going at the same time. I've experienced him as a moderator and judging by the complaints we used to get, he wasn't a favourite of many. If I was asking a question about it, it would be "What took you guys so long?".

Who knows, when word gets round, maybe we'll see some old faces coming back.  :)     

Yet another shit stirring post amongst several this week.

Indeed and on the same topic too. I wonder when it becomes considered spamming?

commercial-oriented right-wing fanboys

I genuinely take great exception to being called 'right-wing'.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:54:11 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »

lol You're such a pisser-

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »

*Other than me offering Cubs money to help fund his playboy lifestyle....

Cub's Playboy Lifestyle Kickstarter, Entry level £100.000
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:59:25 PM by Hammers »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
I think the mods do a good job.  I read another thread which explained why what happened happened . No need for any conspiracy theories.
And +1 to Cubs, his post was very funny.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
Cub's Playboy Lifestyle Kickstarter Entry, level £100.000

I approve, but I may have to cut back on the hookers at those prices.