Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28427 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: diorama gaming anyone ?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Great looking collection! And some pretty amazing terrain! I'd love to play on that!

Gorgeous! A real fest for the eyes!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 07:43:37 AM »
Sorry, all the superlatives have already been used.  So, basically, what the others all said.

(Are these 40mm?  I thought I recognised some of the poses.)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
That is a gorgeous layout you have there!!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Montefortino

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »
Very impressive, not just the terrain but also the figs!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Thats a beautiful spread, Lysandros.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
Now that's just bloody awesome...
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 05:37:44 AM »
I needed something to get my AWI “mojo” back and this is it! Thank you! It all looks fantastic (and so many ideas to think about)!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »
Once again thankyou . Yes they are all 40mm. Here some French AWI which were not used on the table . I have 2 brigades .
Please forgive my pic quality.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:15:30 PM by Lysandros »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »

Please forgive my pic quality.

Pic quality? Sir, I praise your modesty! What can we say about fig quality!!! Marvellous!

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »
Just thought I would explain what I mean by diorama game .
I have been greatly influenced by the Epic brilliance of Peter Gilder . Seeing his  Sudan/Naps was groundbreaking , the ACW completeness of his Callum game was inspirational. Today I look to arguably the greatest collecter of figures today Bill Gaskin as my main influence .
Also ł love the detail and rich texture that model railway set ups achchieve . Generally far superior than wargames . I understand many have to be pragmatic but the richness of depth is sadly missing in our hobby . For me figures /landscape go hand in hand . One without each other leaves me personally as Mr Jagger " l can't get no satisfaction " . I understand that clubs night /competion gaming are very important to many and practical . For my taste it is underwhelming .
I game but the joy for me is the look . Every move a sort of film set of the mind . The game is rather unimportant as I don't care who wins or losses . Just to see a miniture scene every move . Really it is just a vechicle for everything to blend together .
Thank you for my thoughts and would be very interested in your views .
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:43:25 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 11:02:47 PM »
Fantastic work and I like your philosophy that drives your vision. I agree 100% with you but I've rarely managed to create such good looking terrain. I can set up a nice looking table with good portable terrain, but I just don't seem to have the skill to make a truly great table. I wish I could.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 06:28:18 AM »
So glad you took time to 'define' what you mean by diorama gaming because I was a bit bothered by referring to your bases as dioramas - beautiful though they are.  To me, a diorama needs to tell a story.  But your overarching goal of a gorgeous game sits very well with me.  I seek something similar to you though allowing for some of that pragmatism to creep in so not quite at your level and in my much much smaller chosen scale of 15 mm (or 18 mm sometimes).

What companies 40 mm are you using?  I ask because if I ever need to go 'up scale' I plan to skip to 40 mm.  And, getting older, that may need to happen but not quite yet. 

Helps that this is my favorite period, the AWI, of course.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »
What companies 40 mm are you using?  I ask because if I ever need to go 'up scale' I plan to skip to 40 mm.  And, getting older, that may need to happen but not quite yet. 

They are a real mix , Roughly 45% Fronk Rank, 35% Trident , 20% conversions  but usually nothing complicated. 
I know Sean Judd who scuplts the Trident 40mm
who kindly passed on many figs that were never released or one offs . Alec at Front Rank started 40mm as a commercial venture but also for himself . I have asked Alex if he would sculpt Highlanders in trews pay him upfront but he is reluctant as commercially 40mm has been a damp squid.
Both have there strengths , l think you have to be selective. Front Rank excel as formed lines units and Trident work as skirmishes, Indians etc.
The rules are blurred as my French Line are Trident with some head swaps for variety.
Doug of MSC has visted me in Blighty but at the time l hadn't bought the farm with its extra space for  my set up .l think he is not too far from you
Kind regards

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:40:29 AM by Lysandros »

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
Fantastic stuff Robert - you finally got it out of storage ! - it was worth the wait - I love your French - did you ever get the legion cavalry done ?
Ian

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »
Some raggaty Rebs .