Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28548 times)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »
Cheers
All 40mm ,

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »
Another nice addition to your collection.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:55 PM »
Thinking aloud about the Front Rank AWI range, if one wanted to make up Saratoga British line units would it be better to use Saratoga caps on Continental bodies or on British fusilier bodies?

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »
The 23rd Welch Fusiliers are excellent.

Paul

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
Thinking aloud about the Front Rank AWI range, if one wanted to make up Saratoga British line units would it be better to use Saratoga caps on Continental bodies or on British fusilier bodies?
I have used continental line ( no lace) in cut down coats and British light infantry hats . Arguably the British had started taken off the Lace on uniform.
It works for me.
As first unit in picture below)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:39:20 AM by Lysandros »

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
Excellent

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2020, 06:13:58 AM »
Lysandros, for the British, you seem to prefer the march attack positions. Is that merely a preference or do you find the Front rank charging/firing poses too crowded when mounted on bases?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2020, 01:08:34 PM »
Lysandros, for the British, you seem to prefer the march attack positions. Is that merely a preference or do you find the Front rank charging/firing poses too crowded when mounted on bases?
It's just an all-round practical pose. It can look ok attacking and defending. Charging pose is so limited to attack only. I do have 4 Brit units charging but look hopeless defending a fence. I do have 5 Continental firing lines , mainly because in they are defending, while only one Brit .

Colonials in firing pose (1st pic)
Brits advance ( front line in charge pose)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:22:59 PM by Lysandros »

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2021, 06:09:32 AM »
   @Lysandros

I have been pondering the issue of AWI Scots in trews or gaiter-trousers which would sync up with the size and bulk of Front Rank 40mm AWI.

You mentioned you didnt mind the same pose for all the enlisteds and seeing your Guards unit gave me an idea.

Although I have not experimented specifically with the Scots heads from the Sash and Saber AWI Highlanders in trousers set, it seems to be the case that Sash and Saber heads sit well on Front Rank bodies. The opposite doesnt hold true but it may be worth a try to get a set of the S&S AWI Highlanders heads and try them on the FR Continentals in short coats and gaiter-trousers.  Just a thought.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
I've been pondering for a few weeks - if I went down the road of having some figures developed - and that's a big IF, I personally usually try to avoid musicians, drummers etc in my units if I can. From the gaming point of view, they don't add anything and I see them as a wasted figure, from the visual point of view though, they can complete a unit. Would a range of figures be more, or less, attractive if musicians were absent? Would highlanders without a piper, or infantry without a drummer, be acceptable?

This is just to gather a few more thoughts before I spend money my that wife would otherwise spend on vases and other assorted household clutter!

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2021, 05:40:06 PM »
Well Alan,
If you have spare cash you could buy Robert’s entire collection instead - as he’s now put it up for sale 😉

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2021, 06:17:05 PM »
Really? I don’t have that much cash!!

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2021, 03:51:00 PM »
I've been pondering for a few weeks - if I went down the road of having some figures developed - and that's a big IF, I personally usually try to avoid musicians, drummers etc in my units if I can. From the gaming point of view, they don't add anything and I see them as a wasted figure, from the visual point of view though, they can complete a unit. Would a range of figures be more, or less, attractive if musicians were absent? Would highlanders without a piper, or infantry without a drummer, be acceptable?

This is just to gather a few more thoughts before I spend money my that wife would otherwise spend on vases and other assorted household clutter!

I think that there are arguments for both looks. It's nice to have musicians but you wouldnt miss them. Ironically, the more of a march attack position the unit is in, the less it might need musicians.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2021, 03:51:58 PM »
Well Alan,
If you have spare cash you could buy Robert’s entire collection instead - as he’s now put it up for sale 😉

I would imagine that 40mm collections are a limited market to sell into.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2021, 05:49:46 PM »
That is just spectacular.  I did F&IW skirmish for a bit using Song of Drums and Tomahawks, and the beautiful 40mm Trident minis.  Once of those collections I regret selling in hindsight.