Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690506
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28441 times)

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:40 AM »
Well, if Robert is selling up, I suppose somebody needs to keep this thread alive. So here’s some Grenadiers. They are intended to be the Grenadiers of the Florida Brigade, so pretty much 60th. I can’t imagine they would actually have had the ‘Just off the parade ground look’, Florida being pretty hot n humid, but they will suffice for the moment.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »
They look cracking!! Nice unit. :)

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »
Very nice Alan - as you say the baton has been picked up !

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2021, 05:48:24 PM »
Lovely, very realistic colour work there!
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2021, 08:24:49 PM »
Lovely looking grenadiers, as you say may not have been in this uniform in Florida, but they do look the part.

Paul

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2021, 11:44:39 AM »
The collection has been sold .
Some great work here from many brilliant painters .
Hopefully you can all keep the thread alive to encourage others.
Best wishes

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2021, 01:09:42 PM »
Your well-staged pictures of these superbly painted armies kept us company since 2018.
Thanks for sharing!
Wishing you all the best!
Dinos
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
I hope whoever was lucky enough to purchase them will continue to post photos of games with them as they were a fabulous collection and a great incentive to my own 28mm AWI British army, thank you for sharing and good luck
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2021, 09:01:55 AM »
I echo those comments, it would be great to continue to see the collection. All the best Robert. 

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2021, 05:05:46 PM »
Next off the painting table, 33rd, modelling the ‘just off the boat’ look, but they’ll suffice until I get my act together and produce some campaign look figures. Need to get some flags but pretty much ready for the table.

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »
Cracking stuff Alan 👏👏👏

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2021, 02:47:15 PM »
Excellent work Alan.

Paul

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2021, 07:22:17 AM »
A progress shot of the next unit. First finished base of my second regiment of North Carolina Militia. Hopefully the full regiment will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2021, 09:42:45 AM »
Very nice sculpts and fine painjob!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »
I've been pondering for a few weeks - if I went down the road of having some figures developed - and that's a big IF, I personally usually try to avoid musicians, drummers etc in my units if I can. From the gaming point of view, they don't add anything and I see them as a wasted figure, from the visual point of view though, they can complete a unit. Would a range of figures be more, or less, attractive if musicians were absent?

I don't know about more or less attractive, for the latter half of the war they would certainly be more accurate without them.  At some point during 1778, the British re-adopted a practice from the Regular units sent to Canada for the F&I War, who had armed all their adult drummers, bar one - who was retained as an orderly drummer for the unit CO (an extra drummer from the senior regiment in a brigade also supplied one for the brigade commander) - and sent the juveniles home to participate in recruiting.  This would allow you to field units without "musik" - ie drummers and fifers - but you could use up any such figures on vignette stands, next to a mounted officer, performing the "orderly drummer" role (see what I did there?). 

I'm not sure what Highland regiments did with their pipers, who were also felt to have a morale impact on the enemy as well as their comrades, and so may have been retained - again though, my guess would be that they would accompany the CO of the battalion.  Incidentally, in complete contrast to the accepted "wargamerism" that pipers were not proper soldiers, but either civilians hired by company commanders, or a man from the ranks earning a bit of extra money, both the 42nd and 71st (at least) employed their pipers as the equivalent of fifers - ie there were two of them attached to the grenadier company of whichever battalion they were serving with and were listed as "drummers" on the Muster Roll.

(ps: I've sent you a PM about something.)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.