Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:57:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28523 times)

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »
Front Rank is up for sale? Dark days for Front Rank enthusiasts; darker days for 40mm fans.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2021, 09:52:29 PM »
Yep, I'll have to put some orders in pretty quickly I think. Hopefully someone will pick it up, but if I had that kind of money I'm not sure I'd buy a wargames company!

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
After what seems like ages, another militia regiment. God I’m a slooooow painter!!

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #243 on: June 25, 2021, 11:54:39 PM »
Absolutely beautiful painting  :-*
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #244 on: June 26, 2021, 09:26:53 AM »
Neatly painted, excellent shading and impressive flag!
A collector's item!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2021, 09:17:06 PM »
Another excellent unit.

Paul

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments. The flag is actually a Flags of War product, which Iain scaled up for me.

I wish 8 could paint faster, it’s taken me 2 weeks to paint 18 faces on the next batch, which will be 5th SC regiment.

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »
Well this is an interesting discussion that I feel I have come rather late to.

As proprietor of Triguard Miniatures, the ranges formerly sold as Trident and Vanguard by Doug at MSC, I should probably have some things to say.

It is interesting to hear what people feel needs adding to the available ranges for the period. At this stage my focus is not on expanding the AWI range, as there is a lot in it already. However, I have discussed with Sean the sculptor, some medium term additions for the AWI range, specifically those Hessian dragoons without horses, dismounted British, Loyalist and American dragoon figures, and some French artillery crew.

What I do have about to hit the website, is AWI Spanish. As someone mentioned, there aren't any major battles to refight, but there is potential for skirmish actions around the sieges that took place. I have just finished "Pensacola" by Wesley S Odom; not a great read, but it does contain lots of information and ideas for smaller scale actions.
I'm now looking for some examples of Chikasaw, Choctaw and Creek Indians to understand whether or not the existing woodland Indian figures are suitable.

From my own gaming perspective, I have been focusing primarily on the FIW, painting up (and commissioning) both the British/American and French sides. We have recently gamed both FIW and medieval periods in 40mm at two local conventions, playing Rebels & Patriots and Lion Rampant. Great fun, and I will post some pictures soon.
My next project is an AWI one to help make the ranges more visible here, New Zealand, and hopefully to a wider market. I'm looking at skirmish level games focusing on the Siege of Pensacola, the Battle of Johnstown, or perhaps aspects of The Forage War (battle of Millstone Creek, etc.).

As far as marketing goes, I currently advertise in WS&S and will begin advertising in Toy Soldier Collector & Historical Figures from the next issue, 101. The customers I inherited with the business seem to be split fairly evenly between gamers and modelers, and I guess that is one aspect of 40mm figures that makes them different to other scales. That fact makes things both easier and more difficult, but does increase opportunity.

Now after a 40 year career in IT, I have had to come to terms with the figure manufacturing process and learn all about marketing (which really goes over my head) to make this thing work. There are lots of opportunities going forward, and plenty of room to develop 40mm as a scale familiar to gamers, and I hope I can have some impact on that.

As far as the ranges goes, any feedback is appreciated, and I will post updates here when it comes to new additions.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »
@Phillius

Speaking of Indians, how about a few Indian civilians? Men, women, children and elders?

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »
@Phillius, PM sent.

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2021, 08:13:20 PM »
I only collect 40mm and it’s been quite a journey trying to get the figures I need to complete my collection - my advice ? Finish your French & Indian Wars and then produce 28mm ranges from then on - 40 mm is a niche that has had its day - and I’m only talking about running a business here - I love 40mm - it’s the only scale for me but it will never pay as much as 28mm will - fact
Ian

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »
5th South Carolina. I used the image below to base the uniform on. Whether it is correct is another matter, but it works for me. Flag to be added, probably just a plain blue with a white crescent, maybe Liberty in white.

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2021, 02:53:35 PM »
Fabulous paint job 👏👏👀

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2021, 01:23:26 AM »
As a counter-point to Ian's comments, I think 40 mm, rather than having had its day may be in its infancy.

Why? 

Lots of gamers are aging and so is their eyesight and many will want to continue with their hobby but need bigger figures to do so.  Could be totally off base but that is what I see. 

If I go upscale, I will skip right over 28 mm and head straight to 40 mm.  Of course, I just down scaled from 15 mm to 10 mm for one period - Vietnam (saved me at least $1,000 with what I collected).  So that leap to a larger scale is 'out there on the horizon' somewhere.

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »
Excellent work Alan.

Paul