Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone know of a brush designed for the sole purpose of painting dots??  (Read 1370 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
As the title says!

I'm sure a year or two ago someone made mention of a brush that's made with the sole purpose of painting small dots, and they posted a link to such a brush. As I recall it had short bristles and a point, I would imagine the bristles are quite tough, so as to keep the brush in shape. Don't think it was on this forum, I think this person was using it to make the pea dot camo pattern on Flames of War SS.

Anyone help out with this one? Pretty sure I didn't imagine it!  :?

Many thanks!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
I use felt tip pens, something like Sharpies (i.e.permanent) though I have, on occasion,  had to use washable ones. They were given a light spray of varnish & have lasted through quite a bit of wargaming.
There is a wide variety of colours, as well as point sizes.

Offline digid

• Bookworm
For larger dots on miniatures, I have used the sharpenable erasers that look like a pencil.  Sharpen them in a good pencil sharpener then Cut the tip off flat with a razor for the dot size you want.  Spread some paint out on the pallet dip the tip of the eraser to the model and you get a perfect round dot. The softness of the eraser allows it to conform to slightly uneven surfaces. I have bad best success with the white erasers vs the pink.

I have also done flowers in a similar way. I had some brass tubing that was oval. I used it to cut out the shape from a white eraser that I had cut down to about 3/16 inch thick. I sharpened the edge of the tubing then pressed it through the eraser cookie cutter style. I then glued the resulting piece into a small piece of the same tubing, and used it to put the pedals on the flowers. Basically you are just making your own rubber stamps with this method.

Dale

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
That/those.

For a slightly larger dot just cut the tip back with a very sharp blade.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Never heard of a dot brush, though I believe there is a brush specifically for painting hair.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
All good ideas guys! Thank you  :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
You might be thinking of a spotter brush - its what I use for doing eyes and such and has short bristles that go into a point.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Re: Anyone know of a brush designed for the sole purpose of painting dots??
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
Like this! : https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/pro-arte-series-107-prolene-spotting-brushes.ir

Yes! That's what he was using!

Thanks.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »
In the model train world we have varying sizes of "micro brushes" for doing detail work.  Might check those out.  I don't think they were originally for modeling work, maybe for the electronics industry.  But they work.   

Here is a link to some:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LFATYw5siKU/Wps9TVKoqpI/AAAAAAAADpg/Yg_G9kz5H6YSyMgRAsngZ3q_JVnq7gauACEwYBhgL/s1600/IMG_0624.JPG

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
You know , chaps , when I read this title I had to go and check the calendar to make sure it wasn’t April the 1st . A brush for painting dots ? Would that be a fine tip brush ? Just a guess ....

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
Those "dotting tools" are also quite useful as sculpting tools...

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »
I sometimes just cut a point onto a matchstick to dot on leopard skin effects and so on. But 10mm is forgiving on the matter of simpler tools.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.