Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70302 times)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
I understand it takes long but i'm a bit sad it will be at least untill februari before they are ready for selling. I'm really impatient when it comes to getting my hands on these minis.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:50 AM »
Interesting to see the arm cut off mid bicep, where the mail ends basically. Alleviates the shoulder join we sometimes get on plastic kits. Clever stuff, but so simple you wonder why it hasn't been done before - or maybe it has, I don't buy much plastic historical.

Looking forward to these so much, I was hoping for a Vapnartak release, but having waited years for decent plastics, I can wait a couple more months.  :)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »
Conquest games did the same thing with their normans :)

One of the oft voiced critiques of the Conquests plastics is the lack of compatibility with other plastic sets because of their arms. Looks like they're now compatible with Vitrix.

It limits the poseability of the miniatures, but for chainmail I think thats an OK trade of as its a pain to resculpt.

The terrible shoulder joins are one of my main issues with Oathmark dwarfs.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
Besides the Conquest Normans, the elbow split for the arms can also be seen in some recent Gripping Beast cavalry sets (e.g. Late Roman cavalry).

Outside historicals, the GW Bretonnian infantry (2003 release) also uses similar structure - not sure if any later GW set repeated it.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
Can't be doing with the half arms - that's disappointing :(
As said, they severely limit the kit-bashing potential with other manufacturers and sets, and even what you can to with the figures within the set itself. Couldn't get on with the Conquest figures because of that - although these look to be way better figures. The Conquest archers in particular were extremely crudely done with some very weird poses and stances as a result.

Against that, eight figures and a good variety of heads arms and accoutrements on the frame is pretty generous compared to some recent cheapskate offerings from Gripping Beast and Fireforge, so well done for that Victrix. Not quite Perry standards of generosity with as many as 14 different bodies in some recent sets. But then we have yet to see what's on the command frame for this set.

I'm sure I'll get a box anyway. But speaking as someone who has done a huge amount of modelling and kit-bashing with 28mm 'historical' plastics over the last few years, I've never had a problem with shoulder joints, not even on the unclad Perry Zulus, so I really wish they'd just gone the orthodox route with these and done whole separate arms... But we shall see how they work out in practice.

I do also like the fact that they've included some differently sized shields. That's a nice touch. I doubt dark age shields were all exactly uniform in size.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:36:16 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2019, 04:47:56 PM »

Indeed.

I've never had a problem with shoulder joints, not even on the unclad Perry Zulus, so I really wish they'd just gone the orthodox route with these and done whole separate arms... But we shall see how they work out in practice.

The naked torso Gauls that Victrix did are seamless at the shoulder join, so that's not really an issue.  Out of the 50 or so I've assembled so far, I've only needed to stick some filler in one figure and my guess is if I'd noticed when I stuck it together I wouldn't have had to do that....

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
Several Victrix ancients also use the integrated shoulder/partial separate arm approach.

For my part, I don't find them terribly difficult to kitbash - arms from other sets just need to be clipped at the appropriate place, and their arms can be added to other kits with a little greenstuff or spare plastic bits.

Posability is an issue, though, and I have to agree that I generally haven't had issues with the traditional separate shoulders on other models. The poses look fine, but I like customizability in plastics.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:08:07 PM by Whitwort Stormbringer »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2019, 05:27:43 AM »
I can see cutting the arms below the short sleeves being the right call for chainmail though; that tends to be the most noticeable and worst to fix gap on other sculpt with the same issue. Why they cut off a few other arms at the shoulder or hand seems strange though. Looking at the posing of the figures, there doesn't seem to be anything that couldn't have been achieved with a more uniform cut-off point.

Also looking at all the poses, it's a shame all but one have the right shoulder raised. That is something you won't fix with little effort and some putty any time soon. Great for shieldwalls, but if you want some people more standing around, marching or just in a different pose (raising the shield, a low strike), good luck...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2019, 06:47:21 AM »
With their EIR romans they did an advancing set and an attacking set. I'm guessing was to allow natural looking poses for both action and more relaxed soldiers. For vikings it would be nice to have a running set and a shieldwall set.

Generally I like the regular shoulder join, its only on models in chainmail that the elbow join makes sense to me.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
As said, they severely limit the kit-bashing potential with other manufacturers and sets, and even what you can to with the figures within the set itself. Couldn't get on with the Conquest figures because of that - although these look to be way better figures. The Conquest archers in particular were extremely crudely done with some very weird poses and stances as a result.

Against that, eight figures and a good variety of heads arms and accoutrements on the frame is pretty generous compared to some recent cheapskate offerings from Gripping Beast and Fireforge, so well done for that Victrix. Not quite Perry standards of generosity with as many as 14 different bodies in some recent sets. But then we have yet to see what's on the command frame for this set.

I'm sure I'll get a box anyway. But speaking as someone who has done a huge amount of modelling and kit-bashing with 28mm 'historical' plastics over the last few years, I've never had a problem with shoulder joints, not even on the unclad Perry Zulus, so I really wish they'd just gone the orthodox route with these and done whole separate arms... But we shall see how they work out in practice.

I do also like the fact that they've included some differently sized shields. That's a nice touch. I doubt dark age shields were all exactly uniform in size.

you could always cut the shoulder part off to create different poses with other plastics. So it will be a little bit of a one way conversion streak but you can get creative and still get a lot from this kit i'd say.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
Victrix post some updates every now and then on facebook. I havent been able to get a reply on when we can expect to see the miniatures in their physical shape. Does anyone have more info or a good estimation on this?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
Just spotted a reply from them saying 2-4 weeks on the Vikings and 6-8 on the saxons.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
Here are the latest renders for the Saxon command frame.  :-*

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
I've been waiting all year for them to do another free shipping offer.  I guess business is good enough now they don't need to provide such an incentive.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2019, 05:43:29 AM »
I am looking forward to these to build my Bretons and Anjou-Maine armies, best get my gripping beast plastic stuff painted and sold! lol

Cheers
Matt