Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690470
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70832 times)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
Saxon Huscarles:

One word: Magnificent!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2019, 03:36:58 AM »
I don't like the mail: it looks like spaced out washers or scale armor, though tidier than a certain GW figure.

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2019, 05:17:06 AM »
I like these. Victrix are late to the game, but I'll buy boxes of all their Dark Ages releases.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
I don't like the mail: it looks like spaced out washers or scale armor, though tidier than a certain GW figure.

I agree, whats the point of digital sculptsif you cant have some decent chainmail....

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2019, 03:22:43 AM »
The chainmail is so lazy you'd think they've never actually seen it in a computer game, tv show, or in the real world, and they got an idea of what it might from a drunken conversation in a pub after a great footy win and are working from that mental image.

Out of all the work they do, the chainmail is so lazy and poorly done it beggars belief in this day and age.

I like the figures though :)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2019, 08:21:14 AM »
I agree that the chainmail is the weakest part of the mini, but overall these are imo the best plastic mini's for Vikings / Saxons yet.

It's the same chainmail as used on the EIR Auxiliaries and when painted it looks good.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
The Vikings can be pre-ordered! :-*

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
I agree that the chainmail is the weakest part of the mini, but overall these are imo the best plastic mini's for Vikings / Saxons yet.

It's the same chainmail as used on the EIR Auxiliaries and when painted it looks good.

That's probably why they are made that way... regarding the quality of the sculpting in general, I don't think that the "poor" depiction of a chainmail is something they overlook. More like a way to represent it in a way that will "look good on the table top", IMHO.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
That's probably why they are made that way... regarding the quality of the sculpting in general, I don't think that the "poor" depiction of a chainmail is something they overlook. More like a way to represent it in a way that will "look good on the table top", IMHO.

Agreed. Once painted it won't be an issue, and these aren't finished models so they still have time to modify it.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
Agreed. Once painted it won't be an issue, and these aren't finished models so they still have time to modify it.

Yes, they are finished. I already pre-ordered a box.

I think once the chainmail is painted it's fine. Imo the best range of plastic Vikings yet.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
Yes, they are finished. I already pre-ordered a box.

I think once the chainmail is painted it's fine. Imo the best range of plastic Vikings yet.

I thought they were renders, not the finished product.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
I'm sold. Really like their poses, the detail. Probably will end up with at least one box of each...
Leadhead

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »

The Saxons above are renders. The Vikings were just posted to Victrix facebook, and that last shot is real plastic. They're up for pre-order now.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
The post image is a test shot of the final product from their Facebook post. In the final product the straight lines of chainmail that run across the body then straight along bent arms is still there, but less pronounced than the initial renders.

Roman image included for comparison

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2019, 01:56:29 AM »
The post image is a test shot of the final product from their Facebook post. In the final product the straight lines of chainmail that run across the body then straight along bent arms is still there, but less pronounced than the initial renders.

Roman image included for comparison

Looks the same to me... :-I

The Roman Auxiliary's mail looks better, so what happened this time? Seems like the Nordics are wearing off the rack mesh shirts at a rave. lol Didn't notice it in my last post, but what's with the v-neck like border? I know of some mail shirts, usually Eastern ones, with a slit around the neck area and a means of fastening, but I've never seen something like this on Western Dark Age mail and the same applies to the vandyked border on the lower half. It looks like whoever did the render grafted the rings onto a regular shirt and didn't alter the neck opening. Am I the only one fed up with these pendants? What if I wanted to use these figures as Christian Vikings or Pagan Saxons? Unless it's an historical personality, leave the religious iconography for the customer!

I sold off most of my Gripping Beast Hirdmen sprues, as they looked staid, but those had much more "natural" looking mail and so did the preceding Perry WotR/Continental Mercs: those also have staggered not joined rings, but they go in alternating directions, giving the impression of connected pieces. This is the sort of quality that GWanboys lambaste, despite looking no different... lol

I'll eventually pick up a box, since I like the dynamic poses and bits of gear, but expected better... :-[

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:02:20 AM by Condottiere »