Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689344
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70687 times)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
mine got shipped 2 days ago. Should be here any day now!

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2019, 07:17:40 AM »

Mine arrived earlier this week.   Very pleased with the purchase.   Lots of useful options and additional detail.    The necks are moulded in a similar way to the Gripping Beast Vikings and will seemingly permit easy cross-kit bashing, swapping of heads etc.  Presumably the Saxons will adopt the same approach.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2019, 02:18:32 PM »
Mine arrived today! I am very impressed!  :-*

Edit: The heads are incredible.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:00:08 PM by Tonhel »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »
I don't suppose any of you folks have some of the Oathmark plastics to compare these to? Preferably the Humans or Elves. 

I am hoping that there is parity in their sizes.  I want to make warbands for various rule sets out of them, and more variety in parts is always better.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2019, 05:05:57 PM »
Here's a quick comparison from my work bench. I'd say Victrix are about a mm taller and their weapons more realistic in scale, but I wouldn't have a problem mixing these in the same force.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2019, 06:06:28 PM »
Thanks Ogrob. 

Heads and hands appear to be pretty similar in size.  Height difference is no big deal. I will probably use weapons from the Oathmark figures in mixed bands.

Very helpful.  Again, thank you.

If anyone has any unpainted comparisons, I would appreciate those as well.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2019, 04:42:52 PM »
So it begins! Normans :-*

They said the following about it:
Attached are sketches of the first 2 Norman figures. This sets will be quite extensive with armoured, unarmoured, archers and cavalry all needing to be done.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:07 AM »
Just looking at the Norman sketches and I'm a fan!

i don't mind the head attached to the body idea as it might be a way to model 'aventials' of any description realistically, although having said that the Perry's managed it extremely well on all their HYW boxes.

We shall see.

Kind Regards

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
I like the Normans a lot. The Conquest Normans are pretty decent, but if these have the detail of the vikings that they made, then they'll be a cut above.

That being said, you can't really make Norman foot first, can you? I mean, who's using Norman foot for anything? Especially Norman foot with spears and hand weapons!

Thanks
n

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2019, 06:17:58 PM »
This is her famous stockings ,So they'll be plenty of detailing in the legs.Which is an interesting design point as these wool leggings can sag quite a bit under the bum and below the knees.
I'm interested in these as I saw the Vikings at Partizan and if they come in the same quantity as the Vikings do.I can definitely see a new project.(I can see them fitting with my existing Normans 90% citadel and foundry 10% gripping beast.)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2019, 06:37:57 PM »
I like the Normans a lot. The Conquest Normans are pretty decent, but if these have the detail of the vikings that they made, then they'll be a cut above.

That being said, you can't really make Norman foot first, can you? I mean, who's using Norman foot for anything? Especially Norman foot with spears and hand weapons!

Thanks
n

True.

But they said the following:
Attached are sketches of the first 2 Norman figures. This sets will be quite extensive with armoured, unarmoured, archers and cavalry all needing to be done.

Can you imagine Norman cavalry with the same movement detail as their latest cavarly set.  :-*

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2019, 03:59:37 PM »
First render of a unarmoured Norman: :-* :-* :-*

Here is a montage of the first Norman figure. There will be a choice of kite or round shields so they can be used as Normans, Bretons, Franks, Ottonians etc… The 4 unarmoured figures will be sculpted first, then 4 armoured figures and then the command figures.

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
  • "Me and _my_ army! Kachunga!"
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2019, 11:32:33 PM »
The Victrix plastics are imo the best historical plastic sets. Imo better than Perry HYW/WotR.

Now that's just "crazy talk" . ;)  ( Still though, I hope they're nice. I really want to do 5th Century Britons.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2019, 06:01:41 AM »
Now that's just "crazy talk" . ;)  ( Still though, I hope they're nice. I really want to do 5th Century Britons.

Not meaning to take the last post too seriously but I think they're simply different. Both Victrix and the Perry's have their own style. They're both fantastic when compared to some of the weaker plastic sets out there.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »

Hehe. :D

Ofcourse the Perry HYW mini's are beautiful, but owning both I do think the Victrix have more dynamic natural poses and most importantly they are for me easier to paint. More depth in the clothes and etc... . The Victrix Viking faces are also more expresive.

It seems that in the future there is a possibilty that Victrix would do early HYW. So than we can compare a little bit better. ;-)