Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 90254 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
The foremost thing that hold me back from entering in any given year is that I'm to slow a painter to finish 5 figures in a week... :(
Also my motivation to paint stuff was pretty low in the last few years...
Last year I wanted to enter but the combination of the format change and the more-than-usually restrictive themed rounds put me off.

The LPL (and the BSC) was always a highlight of the year for me and I will be sad if it will be finished, but I can understand the reasons behind a decision like that.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2019, 09:14:26 PM »
For years I've always wanted to take part in the LPL, but three things have always held me back.
1) Work commitments
2) Poor health
3) Inability to photograph miniatures!
My health is still a problem, but to be honest, I know that taking part in something like the LPL would force me to learn the photography skills that I currently lack, so that would certainly be a good thing. While I've never been a participant, though, I've always been an avid audience member, and have voted consistently for years. I realize that it's a lot of work for the organizers, so thank you all for everything you've done over the years. Hopefully it will continue for a little longer, even if the format changes. I know that a bi-weekly schedule would be something I could manage much better than a weekly one, but perhaps interest would wane over those longer spans? Difficult to say.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2019, 09:19:59 PM »
I think I would be more likely to participate if it was more spread out. Two weeks between challenges sounds good. A bit more radical would be a challenge per month, running across pretty much the whole year.

I like the sound of that :-)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »
Good question Gordon. It takes some organising, and the last time out - despite the ever increasing forum membership - there was a much reduced field of participants (in numbers, though absolutely not in quality) and considerably less LAF members bothered to vote on the matches each week. All of which is somewhat disappointing and makes one wonder if it has perhaps run its course. I hope not. But let’s see what other people think and then we can decide if there’s enough interest to attempt an LPL13!  :)

As Richard pointed out, we had a steady decline of voters in the last LPLs and only a small base of participants in the last run, very far from what has been seen here some years ago. And it's mid of February when the first members even asked about any interest in another round ... Personally I don't think it has anything to do with "restrictive themed rounds" or the (experimental) knock-out rounds. In my view the LPL has had it's day and is now overlapped by the massive daily diet of hundreds of new miniature pics on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
But anyway, if another LPL will be run, I could offer to handle the calculations again and will support the organizing team. I'm excited to see the great LPL-fanbase discussing things here ...

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
Can’t commit to entering, although I would be tempted and if numbers were low I dare say I would, but I always look forward to LPL Sunday’s and getting to see new entries.

It’d be a shame if it were not to happen again as it’s become a bit of an institution.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »
If extending it to a two week schedule got more entrants then great. I don't think a once-a-month competition through the year would work as it would be too long waiting for the next round.

If it was made into a fortnight, why not split the rounds - so half the contests get released for a week of voting in the first week, then half of them in the second week? Still gives people the same amount of time to paint, same deadline, and the scoring stays the same, but encourages interest across the two-week window for each round.

I was a bit discouraged by the change to the format last year, just because it dropped a lot of people after the first six rounds and I preferred the original format. That being said, I still entered...

I don't mind the themed rounds, although perhaps the parameters could be a bit broader or more generic?

Appreciate it takes a lot of work for the organisers, but I do think it brings something different compared to the mentioned blogs, facebook, instagram etc. though. The thing with the knock-out, if that is kept, why not have those who don't get through put into some sort of 'B' final knockout alongside the main final? I know that makes more work but might keep interest up?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2019, 02:58:22 AM »
I tend to vote every week though sometimes not until the last day.  I enjoy the excellent painting and photography.  I didn't mind the elimination round and top qualifiers only finishing it off.  I have not participated for other unrelated reasons.  I salute those who manage to participate year after year - that is a real feat.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
I am camping on projects for this years edition already.
Bought yesterday models for 4th week lol

Never considered possibility of its non happening :o

I dont agree that FB floods us with comparable pictures.
LPL charm and why I entered after several years of just drooling is the way it tells stories with those photos.

Thing rarely seen outside..

Wonders that some of the masters like Dr Prof and Cpt did put my modeling and painting to much higher standards (I know I will never reach their level but by aspiring to it I grow as a modeler

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2019, 03:53:50 PM »
I am camping on projects for this years edition already.
Bought yesterday models for 4th week lol

Never considered possibility of its non happening :o

I dont agree that FB floods us with comparable pictures.
LPL charm and why I entered after several years of just drooling is the way it tells stories with those photos.

Thing rarely seen outside..

Wonders that some of the masters like Dr Prof and Cpt did put my modeling and painting to much higher standards (I know I will never reach their level but by aspiring to it I grow as a modeler

I agree. The LPL has a unique profile compared to what\s posted elsewhere. It is much a competition in making eye candy styled photos for wargaming publications. I think the drop in participation has to do with the fact that  it is rather taxing to produce 10 such entries over ten weeks. Stageing and photography adds to 'the burden'. Perhaps that's what we should we should try to adjust. Perhaps.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts so far. Please keep them coming  :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
Always love to see the entries. The skill and output of participants can be a bit daunting, but I have been thinking of joining for several years.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2019, 05:13:41 PM »
I really enjoyed the old school fantasy painting club (first one I've actually managed to participate in.)
But the LPL is beyond my ability to commit too. As its a foregone conclusion that life would get in the way. But Ive throughly enjoyed watching those who can .
I'm not even sure I'd be able to commit to a scaled down version.
Slighty hypocritical I know but I'd like to see it return.Even in a revised form.

Mark.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
I've always wanted to participate, even though my painting could be described as 'good wargaming standard' at best. The ability to commit to multiple rounds is a problem with real life, work, family etc. Is there a theme for this year?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »
Individual rounds have themes (generally three in each LPL) rather than the league as a whole. One would assume that won't change if we have another one, but you never know.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
Individual rounds have themes (generally three in each LPL) rather than the league as a whole. One would assume that won't change if we have another one, but you never know.

Well, as I have recently moved continents, and I'm only just rebuilding my lead pile, I would have to have plenty of notice to purchase minis. There's very little in there that isn't WW2 in 28mm, or Ancients in 15mm.