Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Forge of Ice "Pterro-Man" sculpt, in progress.  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
Forge of Ice "Pterro-Man" sculpt, in progress.
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
Here are a few pictures of one of my upcoming releases, a "Pterro-Man", in progress.  (A bit rough at the moment, but well over half finished).  The pics are a bit rough, too, but they were snapped at the table of the local college pizza place, so I think the pictures turned out rather well, considering.  :)

The head is nearly finished, the crest will be extended a bit.

There's a nubbin of wire sticking out of the palm of the hand, but it'll be removed before the sculpt is sent off to casting.

In person, this looked really good, but looking at this picture, the left leg just doesn't look... correct, to me.  I'm not sure what's up with it, maybe it's too close to the other leg, or turned a bit too far inward...?  I'm not quite sure how to articulate my unease... the toes maybe need to be splayed even further outwards...?

The left wing is probably the least finished part of the figure, but this pic with me holding it in place gives you I think a good idea of the general pose.

The "Pterro-Man" is being sculpted by another talented local guy named Jack Wolfe.  Working with him has so far been a real pleasure, a definite collaboration - this will be his first 'professional' sculpt, and he's been really open to my input and willing to take direction in a way that is really important to ME, as a client looking for work-for-hire.  I want an artist to give me what *I* want, not what they think I should have (I've had some nightmare encounters with "artists for hire" in the past).

I'll also add that both the sculptor and I are aware that there are some visible fingerprints on the sculpt, and those will all be either removed or covered up before the sculpt is 'finished'.  There are some large sections of the model that don't have 'finished' skin yet.

Input, questions, comments?

-Alex
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:16:15 PM by Alxbates »

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Forge of Ice "Pterro-Man" sculpt, in progress.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
Cool! Very much up my alley.

I think, given that the whole figure seems to be in a "turning/looking to right" pose, the left leg is alright.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
I agree. We'll have to see the finished green to say whether or not something looks wrong but as for now I don't see any fault. Remember that the kritter is probably a little clumsy walking on it's legs as the size of the wings seem to point in the direction that flying is its main way of movement.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »
I've got some updated pics to post, just need to edit them - I'l get them online as soon as I can.

-Alex