Forum > Interwar

Interesting forthcoming Osprey on Latin America

<< < (2/3) > >>

Arlequín:
I wouldn't single out this book though, there are a few in the range that have been equally 'ambitious',  Medieval European Armies being the one that comes immediately to mind, albeit that's about thirty or so years old.

The two newer Spanish Civil War ones are almost as hopeless as the original single volume one, despite being written by a Spanish speaker and with original source material reasonably available. He was the guy who wrote The Bay of Pigs book though, so y'know?

I always like the pictures.  :)

carlos marighela:

--- Quote from: Arlequín on March 15, 2018, 07:50:01 AM ---I wouldn't single out this book though, there are a few in the range that have been equally 'ambitious',  Medieval European Armies being the one that comes immediately to mind, albeit that's about thirty or so years old.

The two newer Spanish Civil War ones are almost as hopeless as the original single volume one, despite being written by a Spanish speaker and with original source material reasonably available. He was the guy who wrote The Bay of Pigs book though, so y'know?

I always like the pictures.  :)

--- End quote ---

Ah, the Bay of Pigs Osprey!  My fave. Written by a Cuban-American Brigadista fanboi. So balanced, so well written....such a twat. I look forward to future works. Torture Centres of the Argentine Navy, Elite no 792 Death Squads of the Salvadoran Civil War, etc, etc.

The David Nicolle one on the Portuguese overseas empire was another huge disappointment. Ambitious? Four hundred years and four continents all in forty-eight pages. Still the Embling illustrations were vaguely nostalgic at least for those of us able to remember Playboy magazine in the 1970s.

Arlequín:
David Nicolle knows his armour and weapons, but is not so hot on how they were employed and given to flights of fancy. Gordon Rottman is consistently good, albeit that he's lived a lot of the era he writes history about. He's probably my favourite, which gives away how anally detail-orientated I've become. Leigh Neville is another good one, granted he's a recent conflict guy, which is somewhat easier to source, but he's thorough though all the same.

Sparrow:
Although not anything to do with “inter war” the Osprey efforts on the Thirty Years War are a great example of the best and worst. The 2 volumes in the Swedes and the book on Lutzen are brilliant and a “go to” on the subject if (like me) you struggle with text in German or Swedish. The books on the Impeial Army are just awful.

Since my mother told me “if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all” I’ll refrain from further comment.  ;)

Arlequín:
... but I am led to believe that the book on the Tercios was quite outstanding? There's authors and Authors I guess. Should be some editors in the mix though somewhere too.

It does annoy me a bit that I do have to cross-check any particular title for truth, as best as I'm able at least. I used to take it all on trust, but having uncovered several glaring errors in one a while back, I'm suspicious of them all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version