Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:20:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696212
  • Total Topics: 118747
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Car Wars  (Read 11861 times)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: Car Wars
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »
I need to give that a go myself.  I thought the box just had the models in it, but the rules are included too.  When I saw it, I first thought it was a brilliant looking kit for playing Car Wars.   lol

http://www.aberrantgames.com/warlands.html
Brand new game, (back end of last year) with stuff lined up to come out in the future. You buy a box with rules and cars in. I haven't bought it yet, but its only a matter of time!
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
I used to love that game back in the mid/late 80s, we played it at least once a week for quite some time.

Was anyone else ever stupid enough to use the Car Wars Tanks rules?

No, but we did try a bus with a tank gun out front and a tractor/trailer rig with the trailer loaded with as many linked heavy rockets as would fit! Bus lost control when it fired and rolled - the rocket rig shredded the first thing that it got a broadside on!

Pdfs are okay but I can sympathise with wanting to have the "proper" rulebook

vT

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »
Many many years ago I used to play Car Wars with some old buddies. We used a lot of Matchbox & Hotwheels modified with kit parts from HO/OO scale models. Don't know if I still have any of them around any more. Maybe packed away in a box in the basement. Just found an old toy pirate ship down there I forgot I had. 
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +117

Offline Stratos

• Bookworm
  • Kaiju Kaos is coming!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
http://www.aberrantgames.com/warlands.html
Brand new game, (back end of last year) with stuff lined up to come out in the future. You buy a box with rules and cars in. I haven't bought it yet, but its only a matter of time!

Warlands is great!  :)

The new Quick Reference Guide (with more advanced rules than are currently in the Driver's Manual and Data Dump #6) will be out in free PDF format within the week.  The two rsin cars - the Maxwell Interceptor (Mad Max's car) and Valiant are at Aberrant now awaiting the metal bits.  They should be available for purchase via direct sales by the end of Feb.

Offline terrain_sherlock

• Schoolboy
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 05:08:54 AM »
Some random info:

Wreckage : Fantasy Flight Games makes / made this (I got mine on e-Bay so I dunno).  It's a tabletop game (no grid), fairly simple mechanics : the fluff is battling it out to get prizes in gasoline from spomsors..

Overdrive Arena: a german-developed game, but issued by Testor's (the paint people), now OOP  but available on e-bay.   A bit more complicated, with siimple but effective car-building rules.. and gaingn experience as drivers.

The box comes with two 1/43 cars, some paints, and a selection of weapons and armor.  1/43 works well with the 28mm Street Violence figs or Copplestones Future Wars, Combat Zone etc.   

The fluff for this game is .. well.. join the "Motor Mayhem International" league..    Oh.. never mind.. you'll never use it.. but it does have rules for
forming teams..

JADA 1/64 Battle Machines:  (I posted the following also on TMP..)
A Review of Jada 1/64 Battle Machines for use with Dark Future (GW),
Wreckage (Fantasy Flight) and Axles & Alloys.. or any Mad Max type game.

The cars are 1/64.. which runs a bit bigger than Hot Wheels.
Examples (from the first link)

The taxi in the bottom row middle runs
2" hub-to-hub, 3 1/4" overall

The truck in the bottom row right runs
2 1/2" hub-to-hub and 3 23/4" overall

for comparison, a Dark Future plastic Interceptor runs
1 9/16" hub-to-hub, 2 3/4" overall.

However, the Dark Future 20mm figures fit well with the Jada..
(but Stan Johansen says they fit well with true 25mm..)

All Jada cars are screwed together, not riveted, the guns are also screwed on.. so disassembly (and re-assembly..!  is a snap.  The car bodies are made of metal..  which is thicker (2x.>?) than Hot Wheels, and thus any gun-mount holes youo make
are deeper..(this is a good thing..:-)  The guns and lover body and other parts
are polystyrene plastic. 

The detail is good (the rivets are there, etc..) and the paint job is very good
(no shiny decals..!) ..   Still, there are probably parts you'll want to custom paint.  I haven't done anything extensive, but I tried acrylics on the taxi, without priming.  Worked well.. so painting and weathering should present little problem.

I saw these on another TMP post, and ordered them.  The are sporadically available at Wal-Mart, etc.. but I got excellent service at the link below:

http://www.collectablediecast.com/Set_of_12_Battle_Machines_1_64_Wave_1_p/ja12111-w1-12set.htm

Jada site:

http://jadaclub.com/index.php?cPath=394_395

Enjoy..

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:13:39 AM »
Was anyone else ever stupid enough to use the Car Wars Tanks rules?

Erm, yeah, that'd be me. We started doing bigger and bigger (and sillier and sillier) CW Tanks battles, and then I discovered Dirtside II, said, "Damn, this is what we *should* be using to play future tank battles!" and was suddenly a miniatures gamer.

I spent far more time building vehicles and designing maps than I ever did actually playing Car Wars, though. I think most of us did, it was not an easy game to actually play...

Offline Stratos

• Bookworm
  • Kaiju Kaos is coming!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
I highly recommend the Jada Battle Machines.  They're awesome for all the reasons mentioned above and the guys who make them (Jada Toys) are great too.  They're perfectly scaled to Warlands.

Speaking of Warlands, a new Quick Reference Guide was posted Tuesday as a free download at http://www.aberrantgames.com/downloads.html -> it gives you a good feel for the game.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »
Here's a comparison of Jada to some other cars

Looking at the Jada site, they just plain have some nice 1:64 scale cars.
http://jadaclub.com/
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
Just noticed this thread..........Hmmmm brings back memories.
I loved Car Wars and sill have some original sets floating around somewhere.

There was another game that came out for a short while called "KRASH" by Cell Entertainment. It was a simple car combat game with white metal 1:64 cars and loads of weapon load-outs ( which I have used for various conversions)
Anyhow,this thread kick-started my interest in auto-combat and I especially like the Jada cars. Any suppliers in the UK????

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Stratos

• Bookworm
  • Kaiju Kaos is coming!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
I especially like the Jada cars. Any suppliers in the UK????

I'm actually shipping some to DaneofWar.com for use with Warlands.  I'm buying them at retail here and shipping them over.  I would check WalMart and Target there in the UK.

BTW: Go to www.AberrantGames.com/warlands for new pix of our first two resin cars for Warlands!  And the full PDF rules will be available for $9.99 (hopefully) by the end of the month.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 08:13:38 PM »
Now that I've gotten into 1:72 scale figures, I wanted to see if the folks at the local game store wanted to give it a go again.  Having civies with guns on the board would make things a little more interesting, or at the very least extra points for running them over.   lol

Offline Stratos

• Bookworm
  • Kaiju Kaos is coming!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
Now that I've gotten into 1:72 scale figures, I wanted to see if the folks at the local game store wanted to give it a go again.  Having civies with guns on the board would make things a little more interesting, or at the very least extra points for running them over.   lol

Warlands has Pedestrians!  :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
Just noticed this thread..........Hmmmm brings back memories.
I loved Car Wars and sill have some original sets floating around somewhere.

There was another game that came out for a short while called "KRASH" by Cell Entertainment. It was a simple car combat game with white metal 1:64 cars and loads of weapon load-outs ( which I have used for various conversions)
Anyhow,this thread kick-started my interest in auto-combat and I especially like the Jada cars. Any suppliers in the UK????

Regards
PM

I got mine through Bungle over on Frothers PM so worth sending him a PM, PM. :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.