Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 198908 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Border Patrols
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the replies, ladies and gents.

I posted a picture of the model in question to the Frostgrave Facebook group at the weekend. It seems that it’s been withdrawn from production and it isn’t known what the creator of the model is going to do with it.

I actually never played the original games; it seems that they just flew under my radar since I love me some RTS games.

Damnation and hellfire. I'll be in touch with Nick about the miniature, but I guess there's little chance.

Ha - I kept checking both GOG and Steam for them but it seems I need to find them the old-fashioned way. Thanks for the advice, will have to look into that someday.  :D

To my knowledge Nick is nicknorthstar here.

Thanks a bunch for the help, Fiona. About Myth, PMed you.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: The Black Order - Border Patrols
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
Don't overdo it.  ;)
I'm notoriously undetectable, whether it's posting online or walking up on people.

Would've probably made a decent ninja...

Hahaha okay I’ll behave  :P

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Shroud of the Reaper Tournament
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
Time for an update!

The Shroud of the Reaper

The Black Order attended its first Kings of War tournament last weekend, the inaugural Shroud of the Reaper event in Bexley, London UK. It was a blast - a great event with extremely good organisation attended by some amazing painters and gamers. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in the area next year. I've written a brief report on the event as follows.
________

Format

The event held four games in store for the attendees, using the Control, Secure the Field, Eliminate and Dominate scenarios from the Clash of Kings 2018 rulebook. Armies were set at 2000pts with all the Clash of Kings items, formations and characters allowed. Pretty standard as Kings of War events go.

Army List
The Black Order's army list was pretty simple - lots and lots of knights with infantry support, and ranged capability in the form of a Living Legend unit of Rangers:

As you can see, I ran both Brotherhood formations and threw in an extra regiment of Order knights with Pathfinder, as well as knights-errant (Abyssal Hunt in Kings of War parlance). I wasn't sure my list had enough punch to it, but at least there was some redundancy built into it with the high unit count, and plenty of Pathfinder meant I should be at an advantage in combats fought over difficult terrain.

This event also saw a free character introduced to each army list - the Reaper, a shadowy individual with access to Lifeblast (Windblast with added damage), Ensnare, Stealthy and the Weakness spell. And its attacks in melee had the Blast (D6 wounds) rule. The Reaper turned the tide of more than a few games over the course of the day!

Round One - Trident Realms of Neritica

The first game was fought against a Neritican force, my first game against this army and quite a surprise at first as almost the entire opposing force had access to Ensnare. My opponent's list ran something like this:
- horde of Depth Horrors
- horde of Naiad Wyrmriders
- horde of Naiad Ensnarers
- horde of Gigas
- troop of Riverguard
- Coral Giant
- Kraken
- Siren
- Leviathan's Bane (x1)
- two troops of Thuul and a Thuul Mythican boosting them

The Black Order was fortunate to turn the Neritican left flank early on (as seen above), as the knights-errant cleaved their way through the Depth Horrors, whilst the Order's established knights took down the Coral Giant on the right flank. Whilst the Naiad Ensnarers held the centre valiantly, the Gigas fell early on to Bane Chanted Order knights, and from there the Black Order slowly ground down the foe for the first victory of the day. 7-3 to the Black Order.

Round Two - The Herd

The second game saw another army the Black Order hadn't faced before - namely the bestial Herd. With Pathfinder on everything, the Herd are at least the equal of the Order's cavalry in difficult terrain, and much more dangerous than its infantry. The scenario was Secure the Field, in which both generals each chose a piece of terrain to secure. The Herd list ran something like:

-two regiments and one horde of Spirit Walkers
-two regiments and one horde of Guardian Brutes
-one Stampede
-a pair of Shaman (shamen?)
-a Guardian Champion
-an Avatar of the Father

This game went much less smoothly for the Order. The Herd defended their piece of terrain (the red forest at the top right of the map) with everything they had, whilst the Order chose the dessicated hill in the field's centre-bottom. Right from the start the Order was severely outnumbered in terms of Unit Strength and didn't have the shooting ability beyond the Rangers to really scratch the Herd's masses.

A tentative attempt to draw out the Herd's fast-moving hard hitters met with disaster as the Order's light cavalry were scattered, a regiment of knights routed and the Order's right flank left wide open. From there the Herd largely held its ground, using its superior numbers to sit on the objective and wait for the sun to set on the field, heralding the Order's defeat. 14-8 to the Herd.

Round Three - Undead

The third game saw the return of a hated foe in the guise of the most foul of the Dark's servants - the living dead. With the objective of slaying the enemy's three most valuable units whilst holding the centre of the field and protecting its own men, the Order had a challenge ahead of itself. The Undead legions comprised roughly the following:

- a shard of the dread necromancer Mhorgoth
- a legion of Zombies with the Brew of Sharpness
- a regiment of Soul Reaver cavalry with the Chalice of Wrath
- a troop of Wraiths
- a regiment of Mummies
- a Revenant Horde with the Mace of Crushing
- a Revenant King on a winged wyrm
- a pair of Necromancers with Surge and Bane Chant

This game went largely the Order's way until the later stages, when the Revenant King on his winged beast managed to hold up the Order's left flank long enough until the Soul Reavers and Zombies could weaken the Order's centre. The Mummies on the right flank managed to tear apart a regiment of knights and threaten the Order infantry holding the central objective, with the result that on the final turn there was everything to play for. Unfortunately, a critical dice roll on my part (wounding rolls against the Mummies) was made just as the timer on the clock ran out and was therefore disallowed, leaving the Order to face a 6-6 draw with the Undead. A very close game against a good opponent and full of learning experiences for the Order's leadership!

Round Four - Varangur

The final battle took place against a horde of warriors ripped from the pages of history following the Varangur ruleset. This army was one of my favourites at the event, and showed that with some imagination almost anything can be used in Kings of War - especially historical armies which fit well into the existing rules. The Varangur fielded the following:

-a horde of Bloodsworn
-two troops of Night Raiders
-a regiment of Shieldwall
-a regiment of Horse Raiders
-a horde of Direfang Riders (Elephants!)
-a regiment of Sons of Korgaan (kataphraktoi)
-a King on Chimera
-two(?) regiments of Thralls

With the final scenario being Dominate (hold the centre ground), the battle started somewhat cautiously.

Both sides tried to outflank the other, resulting in the following redeployment:

By this point the Order's light cavalry had engaged on the left flank and the Rangers had taken out some of the light infantry ranging ahead of the main Varangur line. The presence of the Varangur cavalry and King on the right flank was a big threat, but thankfully they were somewhat isolated from the support of the Direfangs and the mounted Sons by the derelict tower in the middle of the Varangur formation.

From here, things got very hairy indeed for the Order, as the yeoman cavalry were routed by the Varangur skirmishers they had been sent to clear out, and the ever-present threat of the Direfangs and Sons meant that the Order's cavalry couldn't commit without risking a fatal counterattack.

However, all was not lost. The knights-errant routed the Varangur horse on the right flank, and as the foot knights held back the Varangur King, the knights-errant were able to reform to join the main battleline and threaten the Varangur centre once more. On the left flank, the Order's cavalry recognised that the critical moment and come and levelled lances for a devastating charge into the Bloodsworn's ranks. Although the Varangur counterattack wiped out a regiment of knights, the Bloodsworn buckled and broke beneath the onslaught of the Order's mounted knights. Although the Direfangs and mounted Sons remained a threat, the Order now held the centre - and as sun set over the battlefield it was the Black Order's banners which stood unchallenged over the field.

Final Placing

With two wins, one draw and one loss, the Black Order finished 8th in its first tournament. I was fairly pleased with this result - if I'd been more economic with my use of time in Round Three that might well have been a 3-1 result rather than 2-1-1. I also fought two armies completely new to me (Trident Realms and Herd) and came away with a healthy respect for both. The combination of the Siren's Call and Ensnare in the Neritican list definitely is worth watching out for, and the Herd can field a good amount of powerful units for a fairly cheap price. Undead, as ever, remain a threat chiefly through the use of the Surge mechanism, which can completely reverse a situation if you're unprepared for it. Varangur remain a threat due to their high Nerve, high defense, and solid offensive capability. I'm lucky that in Rounds Three and Four the games went to turn 7, otherwise I might have been looking at a loss or a draw.

Armies

There were some beautiful armies on display at the event - I've included the ones I managed to grab photos of here:

An amazing Orc army and one of my two picks for best painted - have played this one before (several times during the Edge of the Abyss campaign in 2017) and it's a tough one.

The Neritican army from Round One. I loved the scratchbuilt Coral Giant (top left) and the Forgeworld Kraken (top right).

A tough-looking Dwarf army - liked the converted Steel Behemoth in particular.

The Herd force from Round Two. The painting standard here was unbelievable, and I loved the use of Mierce Miniatures for the characters and monsters.

A Twilight Kin force (how often do you see them?) which finished 3rd overall if I recall. Great models and really nice paint scheme.

A couple pics of another Varangur army at the event - I've played this army before and I love the paint scheme and the modelling that went into it. My second vote for Best Painted and a really well-themed force overall. Again, the big gribbly from Mierce proves that Mierce are an outstanding source for centrepieces for a wargaming army.

An Undead force I didn't get to fight - but check out that resurrected Minion!

A formidable Dwarven shieldwall.

One of the coolest armies at the event by far, this. A Salamanders force with an incredible themed Reaper model on palanquin at the back. I loved the use of orange and thought this was one of the most characterful armies at the event.

The Undead horde from Round Three - look at all those Zombies! Nice objective markers too.

The historical Varangur from Round Four. Special mention to the Reaper front and centre - the use of a Roman legionary from Victrix was a really nice touch here. I'd love to fight this army again, it was beautifully painted and well themed.

And finally, the Order's own. Regrettably I didn't get a better army pic than this as I was moving between tables and honestly didn't think I'd get a second look for the Best Painted award. Typically, as fate would have it, a number of the other players at the event were either overly charitable or missing their glasses and I left the event with this:

...which was a nice surprise to say the least.

Overall Shroud of the Reaper 2018 was a great event. I had some great games, learned a ton of lessons, played some cool people and really enjoyed myself. Big shout out to Bexley Reapers and the organisers for making it a memorable day. The Black Order will return in 2019 for sure.

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
Re: The Black Order - The Shroud of the Reaper Tournament
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
Brilliant pictures!  And while I can see what you mean about the competition, I still like your knights best.  I think it is the base-work that pushes it over the top.

Thanks for the update.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
You're a great painter, but I too think its the bases and the theme that makes the army pop.
Every model fits the theme and its a good theme to boot.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2018, 07:40:45 AM »
Congrats on the award, recognition well earned. Thank you for sharing the pictures and report, some lovely looking armies there. Sounds like a great time was had by all!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
I think the cohesiveness of your basing and paint scheme really makes your army look so good. A well deserved award. Some brilliant armies at the tournament though, thanks for sharing.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
Well done on winning best painted - your army does look good. But as you say some of the others are very nice looking armies too.

Are war engines no longer worth taking in KoW? I'm struggling to see any in the armies you have photos of?

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
Cheers all. Yes, I think the cohesion and basing scheme (and maybe insignia too) helped to push it over the top. It's definitely made me a lot keener to improve my painting skills, that's for sure.

You can see where I'm trying to take it next over here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111064.0

Well done on winning best painted - your army does look good. But as you say some of the others are very nice looking armies too.

Are war engines no longer worth taking in KoW? I'm struggling to see any in the armies you have photos of?

Yes, there weren't many in this tournament. The issue seems to be that since most hit on a 5+ they're rather inconsistent in damage output. So you either take multiples (usually 3) or none. I'm running 3 onagers in my Romans list linked above.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
That is very well deserved. You are too humble. Your force is absolutely great and while the others are also very well painted yours does definitely take top spot (salamanders a close second) I like the wraith in your army. Well done.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2018, 09:10:49 PM »
That is very well deserved. You are too humble. Your force is absolutely great and while the others are also very well painted yours does definitely take top spot (salamanders a close second) I like the wraith in your army. Well done.

Very kind of you, beefcake - cheers mate. Looking forward to getting back to this log soon, been taken over by the Romans recently.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
All quiet on the Northern front here for a while. The Black Order isn't dead - in fact it's been quite active in Kings of War recently, with battles fought on the International Campaign Day and elsewhere in Central Europe. It's also been engaging Northern raiders under the SAGA ruleset. I'm planning a big rework for the Order's background, including a map and actual story, and some new characters and units soon. My time's been pretty taken up with raising a Legion (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111064.0) but in the meantime here's a teaser pic of a recent Saga game against the heathens:

And this is the Order's current home, in Prague, near the part of town translating to 'Highcastle':

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:27:18 PM by Knight-Captain Tyr »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
What a great looking event! All the armies look great too. Love seeing such a group of dedicated enthusiasts!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2018, 11:06:42 PM »
As summer draws to an end and the long march to winter begins, the Black Order’s rangers prepare for their first forays into the frozen North.

WIP, counts as Swain’s villein rangers, and will count as Northern Alliance hunters once Vanguard drops. Fur needs some tidying up and then ready for paint.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Ranger WIPs
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »
I've been very distracted by the Romans of late, but am getting back to the Black Order, now.

As the Order exists in its own universe, I am writing up lore and background for the Order - and the world it inhabits - at present. However, I like to use the Order in a variety of games, namely Kings of War and Saga, and very soon that list will include Kings of War: Vanguard. If you haven't checked out Vanguard, I recommend doing so - it's being billed as the spiritual successor to Mordheim (a title frequently used these days I'm aware).

So, recent additions to the Order have either reflected their status in Kings of War, or the development of their 'vanguard company', which as the name suggests is the band of elite warriors and outriders the Order uses to scout ahead of the main force and perform commando-style operations in games of Vanguard. To this end, I'm working on building unit cards for every warrior in the Order's vanguard company, with the idea being that each card corresponds to a named individual. I'd like each card to reflect the rules of Vanguard (and be close to Mantic's unit cards) but also hold some flavour text. Haven't got a WIP of a full unit card yet, but here's the first knight of the vanguard company and his flavour text.

I used Perry, Fireforge and Frostgrave Barbarian bits on this guy - quite pleased with how they came out :)

Tostig of Yursgrad

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:22:46 PM by Knight-Captain Tyr »