Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196650 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Slay the Pagans!
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
Thanks a bunch, chaps 'n' chappesses.

Popped a cherry yesterday with the completion of my first wargaming board. I say 'first' but really it'll be a while before I do another one. I made this specially for Vanguard (although it could work for Rangers of Shadow Deep, Frostgrave, SAGA or maybe Mordheim). I won't lie - there's a TON I would do differently now. I definitely learned a huge amount making this board, and the flaws are probably glaringly obvious. But I'm glad of the experience and hopefully I'll get some good games and good pictures on this before I start the next one. Pointers and comments are, of course, welcome as always.

So here's a few pics. Hopefully I'll get the chance to use this for the conclusion of the Vanguard summer campaign here in Prague!

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Re: The Black Order - Winter Board
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »
Very nice set up.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
Great set-up!  :-* I'm jealous!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2019, 07:11:29 AM »

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: The Black Order - Warriors of the Chapterhouse
« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »
Another great unit.

Good work on the terrain boards - very cold looking! As with all terrain boards the biggest problem is the edges between the boards - perhaps do some simple scatter pieces (like the bases of the trees) to help hide the edges, without having an impact on game play.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »
Great stuff as always!  Curious if your source(s) for this :

Got the inspiration for this pic from reading up on the Teutonic Knights' campaigns against the Lithuanian pagans during the 14th century

are in English?  If so, I'd love to give them a read.  The usual easy access sources are pretty thin on information regarding that theatre/period and I've always wanted to know more.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
That desaturated yellow is fantastic 😎
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
Another great unit.

Good work on the terrain boards - very cold looking! As with all terrain boards the biggest problem is the edges between the boards - perhaps do some simple scatter pieces (like the bases of the trees) to help hide the edges, without having an impact on game play.

Thanks! Yes, those are quite big problem areas. I wish I had the space to do a single board with no need for gaps. I'm definitely going to work on more scatter terrain to remedy this. I think were I to make another board I'd certainly spend a lot more time trying to 'match' the edges.

are in English?  If so, I'd love to give them a read.  The usual easy access sources are pretty thin on information regarding that theatre/period and I've always wanted to know more.

You got me - I'm afraid the "sources" in question are from a couple ancient history books I dug out whilst staying with family in London recently - the names of which totally escape me - and various online sources. It's fair to say my original statement wasn't academically rigorous. If you're interested I'll try to dig out the books again next time I pass through the UK.

That desaturated yellow is fantastic 😎

Thank you! I wonder if it's a screen issue - I paint the shields and heraldry with Flayed One Flesh and Screaming Skull, so the actual effect (to my eyes in person at least) is more of an off-white, bone-like colour? Certainly that was the intention - now I'm wondering how yellowed they look to most people :))

Appreciate the comments - I'll take a few close up pics soon to try and show the unit from a few different angles.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2019, 07:26:55 AM »
This project continues to be excellent and inspirational.

Any chance you could do a tutorial or two? Modelling, painting, photography... even the photo manipulation and graphics. It's all excellent and I (along with others I'm sure) could learn a few tricks from you.

Thanks,

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Seconded. It would great to learn your brilliant techniques
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2019, 01:51:52 PM »

History of the Lithuanian Crusade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Crusade
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Baggage Train Ambush! (Battle Report)
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2019, 08:49:09 PM »
Cheers mate. I realise the pics are a little blurry. Working on that.

With the completion of the first 18" square for my gameboard, I've been inspired to try out some Breazer-esque shots, and thought I'd share the first one here.

____

Nightfall

Amazing thread! I'll keep following with interest. And the kitbashed figures are very dedicated.

Though I have to ask something completely different, who makes the skeletons/Undead in the above picture, please?

Cheers,

Fenton
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
One of the poses looks a bit GW, and some of them look a bit like Otherworld (who make friggin' gorgeous skeletons)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
Seconded. It would great to learn your brilliant techniques
This project continues to be excellent and inspirational.

Any chance you could do a tutorial or two? Modelling, painting, photography... even the photo manipulation and graphics. It's all excellent and I (along with others I'm sure) could learn a few tricks from you.

Thanks,

That's a huge compliment, thanks - what would be most useful? I'm still learning a lot about the photo manipulation (not near Breazer's level yet) but would be happy to do something else if it's useful. Just give me an idea and I'll see what I can do.

Amazing thread! I'll keep following with interest. And the kitbashed figures are very dedicated.

Though I have to ask something completely different, who makes the skeletons/Undead in the above picture, please?

Cheers,

Fenton

Cheers. Those are exclusively Mierce Miniatures from their rather excellent Jutes line. :)

Sharing another pic, this one of the Chapterhouse Guard command cadre:

________

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #254 on: August 16, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
Inspirational. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis