Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196719 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: The Black Order - Kit Review (Spanish Heavy Inf, Fireforge)
« Reply #630 on: January 31, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review - I must confess my finger has hovered over the “add to basket” button several times but no longer

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Kit Review (Spanish Heavy Inf, Fireforge)
« Reply #631 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:36 PM »
Finished off some Oathmark movement trays over the weekend, and yesterday some custom nameplates from Versatile Terrain arrived! The first of many. Got 4 each for my Black Order and The Dark projects, with more to come for characters if I get on well with them. Any thoughts?

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Black Order - Oathmark and Name Plates
« Reply #632 on: February 03, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »
Very classy looking nameplates. Brilliant for long term display.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Oathmark and Name Plates
« Reply #633 on: February 06, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
In case nerdery of the highest order isn't already apparent throughout this thread, I went and made custom unit cards for my units in Oathmark...

To be honest, I really just wanted an excuse to mess around with more flavour texts!

(In the interests of legality, I've removed unit stat numbers from the cards but will add them for ones I print off for personal use)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Oathmark Unit Cards
« Reply #634 on: February 06, 2021, 09:42:19 PM »
Lovely. You seem to be enjoying the prep for Oathmark at the very least, hope you end up enjoying the rules as well.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #635 on: February 07, 2021, 10:58:32 AM »
Lovely. You seem to be enjoying the prep for Oathmark at the very least, hope you end up enjoying the rules as well.

Cheers mate. I am definitely going a bit over the top on the preparation front, I think that's what lockdown is doing to me - all that desire for gaming and no place to go, ha!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #636 on: February 07, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
Love the nameplates  :-*

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #637 on: February 07, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
I just bought the Rulebook last week... I've heard mixed reviews and I've never played a rank and file before, but im addicted to rulebooks and love to try out systems... will also like to hear your thoughts on how it plays... the nameplates are an awesome addition!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #638 on: February 07, 2021, 05:01:39 PM »
I just bought the Rulebook last week... I've heard mixed reviews and I've never played a rank and file before, but im addicted to rulebooks and love to try out systems... will also like to hear your thoughts on how it plays... the nameplates are an awesome addition!
Where did you heard mixed reviews? I only found good about it, and everybody from who I know, who played it, liked it. Would really interest me, what are the negative thoughts about the game.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #639 on: February 08, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »
Where did you heard mixed reviews? I only found good about it, and everybody from who I know, who played it, liked it. Would really interest me, what are the negative thoughts about the game.

The reviews that I read that were not so much negative, but passive about the game were people saying that they couldn't get into the lore because it didn't make sense that you can play any faction mixed with other factions causing a giant "casserole" of armies on the table... That and they said some of the army lists were too similar and didn't offer enough options. I've not played it yet so I can't judge... and obviously this didn't sway me away as I bought it. I actually like combining factions, but i'll probably keep historically bad guys with bad guys and so on... I've not read anything bad at all about the actual mechanisms of movement or combat. Again, I'm excited to dig in.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #640 on: February 08, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
The reviews that I read that were not so much negative, but passive about the game were people saying that they couldn't get into the lore because it didn't make sense that you can play any faction mixed with other factions causing a giant "casserole" of armies on the table... That and they said some of the army lists were too similar and didn't offer enough options. I've not played it yet so I can't judge... and obviously this didn't sway me away as I bought it. I actually like combining factions, but i'll probably keep historically bad guys with bad guys and so on... I've not read anything bad at all about the actual mechanisms of movement or combat. Again, I'm excited to dig in.
I would guess, that those people didnt play Oathmark at all... I dont really understand, how can mixing of armies be a problem. Its an option, not a must. The diversity of the armies can be a problem at first look, but with re-skinning units (orc=barbarian) most of these can be solved.
Please let us know, how you feel after the first game!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #641 on: February 08, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »
There isn't really any lore but that probably is a conscious decision in order to make the game as flexible as possible. It isn't linked to any line of minis so a more robust lore would start to infer the type of models to use.

As well it has a fairly comprehensive campaign system that lets you build your own Kingdom and that would be limited by a background that was more specific.

It isn't a game with a lot of diverse factions. It is a game that lets you easily build narrative rich campaigns and games. You can build heroes a d distinct units and have fun with that.

That is where the focus of the game is. Letting you build your own fun

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #642 on: February 08, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »
There isn't really any lore but that probably is a conscious decision in order to make the game as flexible as possible. It isn't linked to any line of minis so a more robust lore would start to infer the type of models to use.

As well it has a fairly comprehensive campaign system that lets you build your own Kingdom and that would be limited by a background that was more specific.

It isn't a game with a lot of diverse factions. It is a game that lets you easily build narrative rich campaigns and games. You can build heroes a d distinct units and have fun with that.

That is where the focus of the game is. Letting you build your own fun

That is what sucked me in! I like very flexible systems.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #643 on: February 09, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »
Hello,

In relation to Oathmark rules.  I have been following the campaign presented by the War Corgi youtube channel.  Watching these reports encouraged me to get the books and I learn the rules by watching them play. 

Maybe it can provided insight if the rules are for you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrSlfYPoYf4&list=PLTy6mEYZbw7KuSNiNriLc4xI6D8Dqi4lX

Thanks

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #644 on: February 12, 2021, 11:58:46 AM »
Kitbashed a grizzled Guard Captain from the Fireforge Spanish, Russian and Templar kits.