Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:37:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 198829 times)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Black Order - Draugar in the Woods
« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »
Indeed - this is glossy rulebook quality stuff.

Thinking about it, this thread has the makings for a rules-agnostic gaming supplement with scenarios, background, painting and modelling tips all strongly thematically linked.

Might be a venture worth pursuing if you're that way inclined.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Draugar in the Woods
« Reply #721 on: May 19, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »
Thanks a bunch, guys!

I'm working on something along the lines of what you mention, Muzfish, so hopefully that will see the light of day at some point.

In the meantime, I've something new to share finally - the biggest piece of terrain I've ever worked on, the Godhead of Erain Tor. It'll see in-game use as general terrain (or as an Oathmark in, well, Oathmark). It started life as a bunch of foam offcuts, so I'm pretty happy with how it came out! Any criticism welcome.

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - The Godhead of Erain Tor
« Reply #722 on: May 19, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
Looks great! Yours was a big inspiration for the standing stones I did last week. How did you do the moss? I might need to go back and add some to mine.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #723 on: May 19, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »
oh, that's brilliant   :-*

in keeping with the rest of the thread!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #724 on: May 20, 2021, 10:39:50 PM »
REALLY appreciate the how-to on the shields... always fun to watch others techniques.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #725 on: May 20, 2021, 10:46:33 PM »
DAMN....I didn’t realise it was that big....cracking paint job as always, but it will look even more imposing on the tabletop than I previously thought.

Great work!

:-*

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #726 on: May 21, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »
great piece! Nicely done.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #727 on: May 22, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm looking forward to giving it some game time.

With game stores reopening, I've had the opportunity to continue the super slow-burn Vanguard campaign we've been playing. Got a couple more pictures this time.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Vanguard Campaign Report
« Reply #728 on: May 23, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
...and if that's not your thing, next week I'm finally getting to play Oathmark for the first time!

Finished off the movement tray for the Archers of Yolwood in preparation:

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #729 on: May 23, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »
Oathmark is more my jam indeed, hope the see some photos!

I do like the campaign maps you do as well.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #730 on: May 28, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
Looks great! Yours was a big inspiration for the standing stones I did last week. How did you do the moss? I might need to go back and add some to mine.

Sorry mate, just realised I forgot to reply. It's actually just sponge! Using this tutorial: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-how-to-create-dosh.html

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #731 on: May 28, 2021, 04:46:50 PM »
Sorry mate, just realised I forgot to reply. It's actually just sponge! Using this tutorial: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-how-to-create-dosh.html

Cheers mate, bookmarked that for future reference.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #732 on: May 29, 2021, 09:08:21 PM »
First ever game of Oathmark! Played 1000pts yesterday with my Black Order force against a friend's dwarven slavers. We tied it into a Vanguard campaign we've been running, so thought I'd include the campaign map at the start.

We came from a Kings of War background, so Oathmark felt quite different - I really like the alternating activations system (also present in Vanguard so not that different) - but some things like charge mechanics really felt quite unusual. Not being able to wipe a non-disordered unit on the charge is a big difference to KoW! I think I like it though, it forces a little more forward thinking in terms of coordinating units together.

We probably played a few things wrong, but for now here are the pics:

Our campaign map - so far it's been for games of Vanguard (as you've seen in this thread), which is a skirmish system for 8-12 or so models per side. As this is a larger engagement, we thought we'd break out the Oathmark rules for the first time, as the Black Order pursues the dwarves of Zygrad's Slavers toward Gjolgumnir Caves...

Deployment. The Black Order advance up toward the mouth of Gjolgumnir Caves, to see the Slavers have already begun to funnel out of the ancient tunnels.

The Black Order force. A block of Linebreakers led by a Knight-Seneschal (human prince), a Warrior block with a champion, and 15 archers. Activated/disordered tokens I made using Battle Brothers art.

Zygrad's Slavers, masters of the underways! Two warrior blocks of 10 each, an archer unit of 10, a lvl 2 spellcaster, and monstrous halfbreed cavalry (using the rules for human heavy cav).

Quick shot of the bespoke unit cards/wargear cards I made with flavour text

Slaver close-up. Warriors to the left, handgunners (archers) to the right.

Halfbreed heavy cav on the far edge of the flank...

Turn 1 - the Order advances. The Warriors failed their Activation roll so just trudged forward.

Turn 2: The Linebreakers surge forward, while the warriors and archers turn their attention to the halfbreed cavalry advancing on the flank.

The Linebreakers get a charge on the Dwarven warriors! Oathmark's wheel + charge mechanic was a bit new to us as KoW players, but it worked well here.

The Linebreakers lose a warrior to dwarven axes, but inflict two casualties in return, and Calid Valiev, the Knight-Seneschal, decapitates the dwarven captain leading the enemy army.

Meanwhile, the Warriors brace for a charge from the heavy cav.

The Linebreakers drive back the foe. Took us a while to figure out how the 6" pushback works, but it's quite effective!

The heavy cav inflict serious casualties on the Warriors, disordering them, but in return lose three of their number to Black Order discipline. It's enough to drive the Warriors back, however...

Turn 4-5: The Linebreakers pursued the dwarves in a disastrous charge that killed none of the enemy, and ended up forcing my Linebreakers back 6"! A volley of fire from the dwarven archers kills a handful of linebreakers in a devastating round of shooting, as the spellcaster also peppers the humans with Fireball. Not looking good...

Turn 6-7: Not good at all. The Linebreakers lose two more combats and are eventually routed by the Dwarves. Some horrific dice rolls see the Warriors thinned down further by the heavy cav, and despite the Archers killing the last heavy cavalry, the Warriors are then encircled and driven back by the dwarves. Victory to the slavers!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Oathmark Picture Report!
« Reply #733 on: May 29, 2021, 09:39:40 PM »
Good report! I have definitely been caught out doing that same move, taking a charge with a strong unit only to be caught out and worn down.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Oathmark Picture Report!
« Reply #734 on: June 02, 2021, 10:19:22 PM »
And, second game! Got a game in against another guy just starting out. That's 4 of us interested now - which is a crowd!

Lessons from this game: heavy cav hits hard, but attracts a lot of attention. The 'Sniper' strange event is brutal. Do characters with Shielding (1) really give it to a whole unit that doesn't natively have the rule? Shooting (and especially magic shooting...) is really good for softening up enemies before a charge.

When you activate multiple units with a Command (x) character, can you resolve their activations in any order?