Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196632 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Master of the Order
« Reply #810 on: October 24, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
Wow, Myth and Myth II, that's some nostalgia there.  The coversion/kitbash looks good to me, and the plaques will probably look fine painted up.  I'd be tempted to break with the source material and maybe add some more detail to them (glyphs or ideograms?) but the current scratch-and-dent look is fine too.

I'm a little vague on the Journeymen lore at this point, but was it "seven" tiles or "several" depending on their rank or something?  Seven feels like it would be awfully crowded, unless maybe they carry some of them down their back as well.  Gold is really heavy but ~180 pounds of it per tile is still taking up some space.

Good thing they're supernaturally strong enough to carry all that load, because otherwise I suspect they'd be magnet for ever mugger, bandit, and ne'er-do-well for miles around.  :)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #811 on: October 25, 2021, 06:22:51 PM »
Wow, Myth and Myth II, that's some nostalgia there.  The coversion/kitbash looks good to me, and the plaques will probably look fine painted up.  I'd be tempted to break with the source material and maybe add some more detail to them (glyphs or ideograms?) but the current scratch-and-dent look is fine too.

I'm a little vague on the Journeymen lore at this point, but was it "seven" tiles or "several" depending on their rank or something?  Seven feels like it would be awfully crowded, unless maybe they carry some of them down their back as well.  Gold is really heavy but ~180 pounds of it per tile is still taking up some space.

Good thing they're supernaturally strong enough to carry all that load, because otherwise I suspect they'd be magnet for ever mugger, bandit, and ne'er-do-well for miles around.  :)

It's quite a blast from the past, but such is inspiration :) Glad it looks OK so far. I might experiment with glyphs, interesting idea!

Bungie (the creators of Myth, Marathon and eventually Halo...yes, that Halo) had a massive obsession with the number 7, and would work it into their games textually and visually wherever possible. The Journeymen carrying seven gold tiles around their necks was one such crazy example - didn't make a lot of real-world sense, but then that's fantasy :)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #812 on: October 26, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »
Great work throughout.  The tiles may look better if you followed the second picture where they get smaller as they go higher.  This would form a triangular sort of effect accentuating the triangle of the robe and focus up to the face of the model.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #813 on: October 26, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
The master is so kickass. Truly a crowning piece for your army. Dark, majestic, imposing, somber, heroic without being overbearing. All in all, a great job!

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #814 on: October 26, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
Wow, Tyr is another level of imposing! Truly magnificent.

Never played Myth, but I like the concept of the journeymen and the modeling of the plates looks great.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #815 on: October 26, 2021, 08:35:16 PM »
So good!  :-* :-* :-*

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #816 on: October 29, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
Great work throughout.  The tiles may look better if you followed the second picture where they get smaller as they go higher.  This would form a triangular sort of effect accentuating the triangle of the robe and focus up to the face of the model.

Interesting idea. I'll experiment a little.

The master is so kickass. Truly a crowning piece for your army. Dark, majestic, imposing, somber, heroic without being overbearing. All in all, a great job!

Wow, Tyr is another level of imposing! Truly magnificent.

Never played Myth, but I like the concept of the journeymen and the modeling of the plates looks great.

So good!  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks a lot - glad he's effective! I think I'm going to go back and repaint his sword though, it's a little bit flat for me.

Finished a couple direwolves to use as Quadrupeds in Saga: Age of Magic, and Barghests in Oathmark. I already have plans to do a third, as a kind of pack alpha, with all-white fur:

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Black Order - Direwolves
« Reply #817 on: October 29, 2021, 11:28:16 AM »
excellent. love the bases.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #818 on: October 29, 2021, 07:14:01 PM »
I must be on my way to earning "most renditions of a single character in one lifetime".

No, I haven't reworked Tyr again, but I have retouched his sword, as it was really noticeably flat in texture and appearance. I wanted a battle-worn, notched look to it, like it's seen more years of war than its bearer has of life.

Also improved the contrast on the blade handle, Tyr's fur pelts and some of the other metals.

And next on the painting block - finishing off the Hearthguard for SAGA. At the end of this lot, I'll have 2pts on foot with hand weapons and shields, and 3pts with great weapons.

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #819 on: October 29, 2021, 08:25:23 PM »
Blimey, that's some attention to detail on the basing.

Well done and please, more of the same.

Cheers

Ry
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #820 on: October 29, 2021, 10:20:19 PM »
very cool.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #821 on: October 30, 2021, 08:37:13 AM »
epic base  :-*

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #822 on: October 30, 2021, 10:20:36 AM »
Fantastic paintjob :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #823 on: October 30, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »
You continue to impress mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #824 on: October 31, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »
Love the new additions, especially the rework of the rework of Tyr  8)