Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A first WW2 Chain of Command Game (played to a conclusion 26/03)  (Read 1519 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Despite having the rules since their first release I'd never played WW2 Chain of Command (though I had played some SCW and WW1 games).
So finally my chum and I got the toys out and started with a small patrol game.
Only got one turn played so far but it was good brisk fun and we seem to be getting the hang of things.
we've left it set up to resume next week.

More on the blog:
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/chain-of-command-us-v-germans.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:36:13 AM by TWD »

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
Re: A fisrt WW2 Chain of Command Game
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »
Welcome to Chain of Command.....best WW2 ruleset at this scale that I've played!

Big fan of your Blog......nice shots of the game! And yes Chain of Command is quite subtle in its game play and those who perfect period tactics early on tend to do well....like my regular opponent  :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:53:05 AM by LordSpode1879 »
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: A fisrt WW2 Chain of Command Game
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
That’s a good start.  I posted answers to your questions in your blog.  Be careful getting stuck in a firefight against units with better firepower. It normally ends badly, the game rewards fire and manoeuvre.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
Re: A first WW2 Chain of Command Game
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »
If you don't quickly achieve fire superiority it's easy to get bogged down.   Sounds obvious but it's way too easy to get sucked in trading blows with an opponent with better firepower.......a lesson I have learned the hard way  lol

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
Re: A first WW2 Chain of Command Game
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:27 AM »
We finished the game off

Despite heroic charges, the Americans fell under the weight of MG42 fire...

http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/chain-of-command-us-v-germans-2.html

Offline Tim

• Librarian
Re: A first WW2 Chain of Command Game (played to a conclusion 26/03)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
Thanks for the report, it's always interesting to see a WWII game without armour!

I quite like the fire markers (not familiar with COC or what they represent) you are using, where are those from?
--
Tim

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:58:24 AM »
Enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »
Thanks for the report, it's always interesting to see a WWII game without armour!

I quite like the fire markers (not familiar with COC or what they represent) you are using, where are those from?

CoC is very much Platoon v Platoon with only occasional supporting tanks and the like - so armour's the exception in these games.

The fire markers represent shock - which has an attritional effect on units, making it harder to move, shoot them etc. and eventualy will cause them to be pinned or flee.
I think those ones are actually from the old GW Battlefleet Gothic game.
They're a bit more intrusive than we'd like, but they do the job until we can fettle something else.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
My regular opponent has the subtle nuances down pat already ...me not so much  lol!

The game is centred around period accurate formations ...which along with the rules encourages and rewards period accurate tactics.

Glad you enjoyed the game and I'm looking forward to reading more of your AAR's!