Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lair of the White Wyrm, Chapter 1  (Read 8077 times)

Offline ghostfetish

• Lurker
The Lair of the White Wyrm, Chapter 1
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:24:06 PM »
This was our first IHMN game and, to make things more complicated, we also designed the White Snake Company from scratch using Lady Kate’s Marvellous Maniacal Enumerator. For whatever reason – probably the fact that they have no projectile weapons? – the White Snakes got trashed. That being said, Mesmerism managed to snag Mohan a good few times, as well as a few Incorrigibles, and Lord Curr was nearly killed by a Snakeman. We’ll have to try balance things out a bit for Chapter 2! Does anyone know of any useful attribute/rules for large monstrous creatures?

April, 189-:

Summoned by a letter from a distant colleague – the mysterious Oxford University Professor of Esoterica, Dr. Leonidas Ophiuchus – a young Lord Curr and his band of Incorrigibles depart from London in order to investigate strange occurrences in the abandoned hamlet of Hobbsbottom. Accompanying Lord Curr is his trusty manservant Modan Singh; Lady Felicia Oxbridge, an airy socialite known for pistol tricks; her older brother Gonville Oxbridge, a veteran of the Nile Campaign of 1884-85; and three handpicked Incorrigibles.

After arriving, the first thing the Company notices is how empty Hobbsbottom is… A town this old (it dates back to the English Civil War, at least) should have more residents. As they explore the hamlet’s edge, however, the sound of a distant accordion draws their attention to a nearby ancient stone circle.

It is the White Snake Company, a band of dark Morris dancers known for their involvement in arcane and unsavory practices!

The Incorrigibles and the White Snakes prepare for imminent conflict.

After taunting the Incorrigibles (“The coils of destiny tighten blindly around you!”) Angus Overdale, the team squire, darts up a ladder into an old brick general house, throwing a gas grenade directly at Lord Curr and two of his Incorrigibles.

Lord Curr returns the favor by blasting his elephant gun up the stairs at Angus, although he narrowly misses.

Meanwhile, the Charming Man, a mesmerist of some repute, works his strange magic over Mohan, who – overwhelmed by the mystical force – promptly pushes Lady Felicia back against the well, knocking her temporarily unconscious.

After first blood is drawn – a Morris dancer, shot dead in the hamlet center – two hideous Snakemen slither onto the battlefield, shocking Gonville to his core (“Great Scott!”).

Mohan, recovered and overcome by rage at his actions while mesmerized, turns to strike one down with his machine gun.

Three Incorrigibles volley fire at the dark Morris dancers, causing bloody chaos.

Crouched behind a haycart, the Charming Man continues to chant his dark spell.

A terrifying Snakeman and a Morris dancer charge Lord Curr and his Incorrigibles directly! But the line holds steady.

Having dispatched the first Snakeman, Mohan, an Incorrigible, and the groggy, but recovering Lady Felicia turn on Angus Overdale. He hasn’t a chance, and a mournful squawk from his accordion announces his passing.

As the final Snakeman shrieks in rage, the Incorrigibles regroup in order to remove its license to slither.

At the last possible moment, however, the Snakeman grabs the nearest Incorrigible – Lady Felicia – and drags her into the well. There is a scream and a thud. Lord Curr and his companion rush to the structure, looking down into the darkness, where all they see is a huge, glinting eye, cold and reptilian…

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:32:22 PM by ghostfetish »

Offline ghostfetish

• Lurker
Re: The Lair of the White Wyrm, Chapter 1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
There we go. Ignore this post!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:32:59 PM by ghostfetish »

Offline Darkvernon

• Student
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
Brilliant!!!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
I always suspected Morris Dancers were a front for dire secret practices....now the truth is out for sure.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
A marvelous tale!

What shall become of Lady Felicia?
Will she become the new Queen of the Serpentmen, or lunch?

I shall await development...
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »
Lovely story telling and figures.  Well done!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline butchyboy73

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 04:32:58 AM »
Thrilling stuff! I love those Morris Men, who makes them?

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 05:57:28 PM »
Being from the other side of the Pond, I have to ask, what is a Morris Dancer?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 06:18:46 PM »
Superb! I never thought of using my Morris Men in IHMN. Genius idea, consider it stolen emulated. What a great looking game, love it.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 08:40:01 PM »
Being from the other side of the Pond, I have to ask, what is a Morris Dancer?

We have a lot of them over here too.  There are quite a few dance teams around New England, and always several of them dancing at dawn on May Morning on the banks of the Charles River here in Cambridge, Mass.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
Is this Lovecraft with an English accent? Looks like fun.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 02:32:21 AM »
Crooked Dice have lovely sets of Mummers Procession and Mummers Men, and others perfect for the Dark Secret of Harvest Home:
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/children-of-the-fields/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
love the board with the wind-swept faux fur - very effective, and captured to great effect in your photos.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »
I have wavered over buying teddy fur mats. It looks too wild to me, however I have seen some people use electric clippers to shorten the fur for gardens and paths and leave it longer for fields. I also suspect that my cats would regard it as bedding  ;)