Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690857
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Crusader Miniatures review  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Crusader Miniatures review
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:52:41 AM »
Well, after careful consideration, and much chit chat from y'all, I broke down and got a box of the Crusader Germans for early WW2, as well as the 75mm antitank gun.

Pros: I love the sculpting of these figures. Simple, not overly adorned, yet relatively accurate for an early war German force.Good, expressive faces, well cut detail, and they fit well sizewise with Pulp Figures, so they won't look out of place with the figures I already own.

Cons: And this is a big one - I have to ask if anyone else had this issue - these figures had the worst case of moldlines I have seen since the early 90's Games Workshop, first run Clan War, and late edition Grenadier just before they went away. I almost sent them back, it was that noticeable. I am almost scared to see what it does to the faces, as I sue a lot wash and drybrush in my painting, both of which cause mold lines to pop. I spent 2 1/2 hours this evening taking the lines off with a file as best I could, and that was just for 27 figures. It is almost as though they had an ape pushing these molds together. These models do not deserve this poor of casting. I don't know who does the casting for Crusader, but I would sack him immmediately if this is the standard he works by. I am very tolerant of model flaws normally, but this was almost too much.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Crusader Miniatures review
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:49:35 AM »
They are nice (I have a lot of these).

If the mould lines are bad then I'd send them back. None of mine have had any mould line problems at all and, in fact, Crusader have been one of the companys who I've come to trust in this regard. Give them a quick shout and I'm sure they'll sort you.

Out of interest, were they bought in the uk, us or elsewhere?

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:26 AM »
I bought them through the US distributor. I wouldn't try to send them back now - too much time invested in getting the moldlines off. We'll see how they turn out.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »
Crusader have always been a joy to buy and occasionally paint  ::). One of the main reasons was that they were nearly mould line free, be it Ancient Greeks or British airborne. I would definitely follow Keith's advice.

Thank you for the review. I simply love Crusader.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »
Crusader in the US are supplied by Old Glory who are well known for their casting quality and quality control. Both are bad. I would have sent them back straight away. But, as you say, you've already spent the time on them. It would be a shame if this put you off the range, all my Crusader figures have been fine.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
I've painted a couple of hundred Crusader figures cast by OG from various ranges, including the ones you have, and haven't come across this. I know you don't want to send them back now, but you might consider an email to let them know. It could be there is a new guy casting or the mold is shot.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »

I bought several blister packs of Crusader Miniatures figures when they first came out and then again not so long ago. I did notice a small difference in the quality of the casting though. The first batch was well cast with almost no flash at all while the last time I ordered some, there were a LOT more flash and 2 or 3 figures (out of 40+) show miss alignment of the moulds. These figures were ordered from Crusader (UK) at first then from Nick at North Star (also in UK). I think that the moulds may start to show a little "wears and tears" but I think that’s quite normal considering the age of the figures… I never come across Crusader figures that were so badly miscast except the 2 or 3 in my last order. I would also recommend that you e-mail them… maybe the batch you get slip thru the quality control…
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
Well then, lucky me, I guess, getting these. I'll email them, then. I was surprised when I realized it in the first place as I was mounting them on bases just how much off they were. It has been a long time since I had minis I could click a fingernail on the moldlines of.