Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CV 3/33 availability  (Read 7806 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Re: CV 3/33 availability
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »
Beautiful work on these, Helen. Any officer would be glad to have them in his command:)

-Alex

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »
OK

What model do you require. CV3/33 or CV3/35?
They are different in very subtle ways.
I have a completed CV3/35 tankette going off to the casters in the morning, it will be complete with two crew. and its a very nice little model.

I will back date the master to the CV3/33. and do a couple of flamethrower variations too.

Nigel H
Anglian Miniatures

This is very good news indeed!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
Sorry, Helen. I tend to regard "chaps" as non-gender specific!  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
I don't think they did scare the Ethiopians all that much. They took out at least two by close assault, if I remember right. Presumably Haile Selassie's troops were armed with tin-openers!  :)

I also read that the Ethiopians had PaK 35s, sold to them by Hitler, who had had a tiff with Mussolini and wanted to spite him. Now the PaK 35/36 was ridiculed as the "door knocker", but I still wouldn't want to be shot at by one while driving around in one of those toy tanks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:05:40 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
Well, they certainly don't qualify as "modern" in the 1940's. But I guess in the Spanish Civil War they were used to some extent and against militias they should be able to do their part.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
I don't think they did scare the Ethiopians all that much. They took out at least two by close assault, if I remember right. Presumably Haile Selassie's troops were armed with tin-openers!  :)

I also read that the Ethiopians had PaK 35s, sold to them by Hitler, who had had a tiff with Mussolini and wanted to spite him. Now the PaK 35/36 was ridiculed as the "door knocker", but I still wouldn't want to be shot at by one while driving around in one of those toy tanks.

Sadly, most of the PaK 36s arrived in Djibouti, where they were promptly interned before they ever got to the Ethiopians. As I understand it, very few if any made it through. However, the Ethiopians did have other anti-tank weapons (such as the Bofors gun), and they did have a small number of Fiat 3000B tanks, sold to them by the Italians  a few years before "all the trouble".

The most common Ethiopian anti-tank tactic when dealing with a CV was to rush it from the side and tip it over with brute force. Seems to have worked on more than one occasion.

There was also a version mounted with a 20mm Solothurn, which could be used successfully in hull down positions against the lighter
early war British armor, but it was only used in North Africa. The Hungarians experimented with a version armed with their own
copy of the Solothurn (a slightly improved weapon), but were less than impressed, and didn't bother to deploy it to Russia (though they did deploy plenty of the standard L3/35s.)

That said, the CV was very useful when used in its intended role - as a scouting and anti-infantry vehicle - and not used to engage tanks. Nevertheless, if I was an Italian tanker, it would probably be my last choice of command, if I had any say.;)

-Doc
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:50:46 PM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »
Well I knew that they took them out in "melee", but tipping them over? How embarrassing!  lol

We have to write a special rule for that for Triumph and Tragedy!

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
Well I knew that they took them out in "melee", but tipping them over? How embarrassing!  lol

OK
How about, jumping on top, hammering on the hatch shouting "open up" in Italian, then beheading the commander when he sticks his head out!!!
Or, rolling boulders down a slope to try and knock the tanks out, or blocking the road, and then attacking the stationary tanks with spears thru the vision slits, and metal poles to try and lever the tracks off!!!

All anti-tank measures used by the Abyssinians :o o_o

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »

OK
How about, jumping on top, hammering on the hatch shouting "open up" in Italian, then beheading the commander when he sticks his head out!!!
Or, rolling boulders down a slope to try and knock the tanks out, or blocking the road, and then attacking the stationary tanks with spears thru the vision slits, and metal poles to try and lever the tracks off!!!

Wilbur Smith in his Cry Wolf describes all these anti-tank methods (I think he has forgotten to mention the beheading, but the rest worked somehow.

Nice collection you have Helen!

But your new avatar is better!
argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
You know, I've had "Cry Wolf" knocking about for years and have never read it. I'd better bump it to the top of the list, once I finish my current O'Brian.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »

OK

Wilbur Smith in his Cry Wolf describes all these anti-tank methods (I think he has forgotten to mention the beheading, but the rest worked somehow.

Nice collection you have Helen!

But your new avatar is better!

Thankyou Argyris,

I actually wore an armband similar to this when I was on the island of Bougainville during the Peace Monitoring in 2000.

Here is a link to PMG Wiki:

http://www.opbelisi.com/

I've meant to get a copy of "Cry Wolf" for the purpose of just that an also that a girl is in a Rolls Royce armoured car  8)

Helen
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:33:20 PM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »
I always assumed I was a person who basically knows what's going on in the world. After reading your link, Helen, I was put to shame realizing how little I know about people trying to help other people in the world. Respect!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »
I always assumed I was a person who basically knows what's going on in the world. After reading your link, Helen, I was put to shame realizing how little I know about people trying to help other people in the world. Respect!

Thankyou, one of many.

Helen