Forum > Railway Wargaming

Andy's railway misadventures.

<< < (2/17) > >>

Michi:

--- Quote from: Andy in Germany on April 05, 2018, 06:14:32 PM ---I always wanted by own V160 (which I know as Br218 as I came to Germany in the early 2000's)

--- End quote ---

BR 218 was only the latest version of the single-engine hydraulic transmission diesel, there were many predecessors which looked exactly the same at first glance. That's why we call it the V160 family ("Verbrennungsmotor (combustion engine) - 1.600hp").

You might be aware that there was a narrow gauge BR 251/252 too - very similar to the V100 family and rather close to your home...  ;)

Andy in Germany:

--- Quote from: Michi on April 05, 2018, 06:56:35 PM ---BR 218 was only the latest version of the single-engine hydraulic transmission diesel, there were many predecessors which looked exactly the same at first glance. That's why we call it the V160 family

--- End quote ---

My sloppy communication as usual. Yes, I know there were several types, what I was trying to say was that by the time I was in Germany the only remaining classes as far as I remember were the Br128's with the distinctive 'ears'. I briefly looked at HO models then decided that at those prices I could build an NG model, and still feed the family for several weeks...

I did look at the Br251/2 as well, but I preferred the V160 shape, and besides, with lots more being built I have a better excuse for variations.

The little red Krokodil is loosely based on the V29 diesels though

Michi:

--- Quote from: Andy in Germany on April 06, 2018, 05:56:54 AM ---The little red Krokodil is loosely based on the V29 diesels though

--- End quote ---

Yes, I noticed that.  :D

Andy in Germany:

It's been ages since I posted anything here, although that's partly because of work and othe pressures, and I'm getting distracted making ever more unlikely machines for Pulp Alley.

I’m moving at a speed that a glacier would probably consider tardy on this project, but I have finally managed to complete the sides and even attach them to the frame.

Appropriately, I’ve built the sides thick enough to be an ice breaker, partly for strength and partly because it made it easier to be sure the angled sides would be the same on both sides of the locomotive. I tend to think this is even more critical than getting the ends perfectly identical because it is relatively difficult to see both ends for comparison when the loco is on a model, whereas it’s quite common to see it end on.

The thick sides also made things like the steps and handrails easier to fit. I used recessed handlebars on this model, not because I’m such a model making genius but because I thought it may be easier to get them straight, or if I didn’t I could hide the fact more easily with some weathering.

It’s worked for the most part, just about. Although somehow the body has managed to twist a small amount, it isn’t noticeable if you squint…

The original Henschel locomotives have a slight horizontal curve on the lower and upper parts of the nose which I’d like to repeat on the model, but I’m spending ages worrying about it instead of just getting on with the job. It would probably be more sensible to just make a straight end like the Bulgarian Railway locomotives I started with, so I can finish the model and then build the second example as a more ‘pure’ Henschel, giving me two similar but not identical locomotives with slightly different capabilities.

Either way, it’s about time I stopped messing about and got on with it…

Ultravanillasmurf:
Nice start on the locomotive.

That is a nice railcar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version