Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's railway misadventures.  (Read 32029 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Andy's railway misadventures.
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2022, 10:58:47 AM »
That engine next to your bike looks an awful lot like a Dutch 6400 series btw (with some subtle differences here and there; they certainly look like cousins)!

Cousins indeed, not siblings. That is because both were made by MaK, the Dutch one being a diesel-electric (DE1002 derivate) and the privately owned being a G1204 diesel-hydraulic driven.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2023, 07:56:31 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments. A combination of work and cowardice and being distracted by Pulp Alley meant I had a rather long hiatus, but I'm now working on passenger trains:

This will hopefully eventually be a driving carriage for passenger trains, once I've figured out how I'm going to make the rather complex shapes. It's supposed to be loosely based on the German Railways class 628, (Wikipedia link) although I doubt there will be much evidence of this by the time I've finished...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2023, 08:13:58 PM »
Looks very promising  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2023, 08:27:56 AM »
That's some excellent plasticard work! I can see the inspiration; you should be pretty close once it's finished I reckon! 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2023, 06:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. One advantage of building a narrow gauge version is that I can just claim any mistakes are "because it had to be redesigned to fit the smaller gauge".

Completion is a bit slow because I keep getting distracted by Pulp Alley model making and playing solo games, but I'm currently traing to sand the roof to an acceptable shape...

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2023, 06:25:45 PM »
Your plasticard work is very impressive  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2023, 02:05:17 PM »
More progress on the driving trailer:

Unfortunately I can't find any modern figures that fit a train in the 28mm figure range so I had to use architectural models. At least they'll be hidden in the carriage.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2023, 09:34:59 AM »
Looking good; great progess 8)

And 1/50 architectural figures are fine for a lot of purposes. I've seen several instances of them being used as zombie hordes for example, or non-combatant NPC mobs.

Besides; when they're inside a vehicle and not side by side with more heroic miniatures (on bases), they should look absolutely fine :)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2023, 09:35:02 AM »
The Driving trailer is slowly gaining a roof...

Because I know I can’t cut that accurately, I went for the tried and tested method of gluing lots of assorted offcuts of plastic sheet to make a solid slab which I could later sand to be flush with the sides. Or as near as makes no difference anyway.

This wasn’t perfect even after sanding, so I got out the filler to fill the holes and then some. I’m far from expert in this, as can be seen above, so my usual method is to apply great wodges of the stuff where I need it, and sand it off later. Accordingly I made a lumpy mess all over the roof and ignored the project for a day. And then put it off a bit longer.

Eventually I go on with it:

This removed at least half of the carefully applied filler, but it also made the roof a vaguely roof like shape, and left it at almost the right shape so I quit before doing irreparable damage. I can hide any slightly mismatched joins eith the colour change from sides to roof.

It has to be said, “finescale” is not a word that can be applied to my style of model making, and neither is “Subtle”, but it seems to work.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2023, 09:48:07 AM »
Looks good to me  :)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2023, 10:56:23 AM »
... so I quit before doing irreparable damage.

Always the most important skill to learn, it does seem to have worked it's looking good.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2023, 11:15:57 AM »
I really love this project, splendid scratchbuilding work!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2023, 09:16:16 AM »
Yup; doing just fine there 8)

The roof looks pretty good, and the gap on the front can be filled up easily. It's really coming together!

Will you be doing another one for this one to pull? And are those actual LED's for headlights?

As it happens though I've been in one of these, or something very reminiscent to it, this summer when vacationing in the Black Forest... :)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2023, 10:06:49 AM »
As it happens though I've been in one of these, or something very reminiscent to it, this summer when vacationing in the Black Forest... :)

Very clever build so far. The head is indeed resembling the standard gauge DB 628 series, while the body is clearly not and looks more like a LINT. All in all it is recognizable as something typical from rural Germany...  :D

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2023, 08:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement...

Will you be doing another one for this one to pull? And are those actual LED's for headlights?

This will be hauled by a railcar I built some time ago, which looks completely different; in fact one reason this is so German is that I needed something to balance the "Swiss" appearance of other stock.

They are LED's and one day I may even connect them...

Where were you? You could have dropped by...

Very clever build so far. The head is indeed resembling the standard gauge DB 628 series, while the body is clearly not and looks more like a LINT. All in all it is recognizable as something typical from rural Germany...  :D

Thanks. I'm trying to make it look lie a 628ish driving trainer which has been converted recently to make it barrier free, rather like some older trams in places like Freiburg or Dresden.