Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Art Elementals as a Fantasy Army  (Read 1524 times)

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Art Elementals as a Fantasy Army
« on: August 22, 2023, 12:07:23 PM »
My most ambitious project ever ahoy. I've been thinking a lot about the role of art in tabletop wargaming, originality, and creative drive. My friends are (good-naturedly) badgering me to get back into Kings of War but to do an army that isn't plain-jane humans finally. I've thought about what army I would play for some months. I didn't want to make the mistake I made with the Second Songs and make an army that wasn't necessarily functional on the tabletop because the focus was on the conversions and basing.

Cue a sudden interest in Van Gogh and impasto paint style. The idea formed in my head, absolutely inspired by the incredible Warsinger's hot glue sculpture necrons, to do a fantasy army of paint elementals. I've been looking at the Prismari cards from MTG for inspiration, as I want to avoid the typical elemental monster styles commonly seen. Ideally, by the end, the army will evoke fire and water expressed through base elements and modern sculpture. I've not done sculpture since high school so we'll see how I fare. I'm going to try to combine as many stylistic mediums in this project as I can, to really push myself to do something I've never seen anyone do before. From the start that means combining traditional hobby acrylics and oil paints on the minis to make it seem like they're living paint creatures. Who knows where the road will take me?

I built and painted my last total conversion army in about a week of intense pain as a coping mechanism. This time I hope to document the creative process more thoroughly for your enjoyment, as it's fun to watch such things happen and the point of the project is creativity expressed through wargaming.

To begin, a humble snapshot of my first results playing with hot glue as a sculpting medium. It's not much but it's honest. I've already learned so much from my hour of interacting with it (I need glass so the glue doesn't stick so well). Go make something new!

"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Re: Art Elementals as a Fantasy Army
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 01:41:15 AM »
End of day 1: did a refresh crash course on the principles of art, and did what any novice does. I looked at what other people made first, then worked to try and make it my own. I sat down and sketched out a few designs for elementals. I tried to make what will be water elementals more water-centric with fire and vice versa for the fire elementals. Another goal of this army project is to make each miniature its own art piece, in which I blend water and fire, or whatever my best-achieved approximations are. I've never done modern art design before, so I'm very happy to say some of the later designs were of my own imagination rather than based on others' work! We'll see how many of these initial sketches turn out to be pipe dreams!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 06:28:13 AM »
A fascinating idea! I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 07:08:59 AM »
A very interesting approach.

In KoWv1 Forces of Nature was a great army - not played the more recent versions to know how it has changed. While my force had a solid core of Elementals it did have most of other troops too - but the elementals are certainly powerful units. You will want a few Druids to buff and manoeuvre them.

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 07:14:30 AM »
I, too, find this a fascinating idea. I’ll be continuing to watch this thread. I love the concept. 👍🏼

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 10:35:58 AM »
A very interesting approach.

In KoWv1 Forces of Nature was a great army - not played the more recent versions to know how it has changed. While my force had a solid core of Elementals it did have most of other troops too - but the elementals are certainly powerful units. You will want a few Druids to buff and manoeuvre them.

My current list has a few druids to act as the wizard artists! I'm on the hunt for dnd bard models to lend the army some more artistic flair. I'm going to paint the wizards with traditional miniatures painting styles, to highlight that the elementals are "made" of paint.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 11:51:55 AM »
First fruits! I considered taking the morning off, had a cup of coffee, and decided I'd rather make art than play a game. I started with a basic vertical shape, just to get an idea of how well the wire I have bends, how much glue will drip, etc. The wire is excellent to work with, but the glue does not hold up to gravity at all when even a little warm. Today I experimented with a wax paper pallet to try and make winglets of fire but quickly learned that I need to practice making such things and acquire a silicone mat, because hot glue (surprise) does what it says on the tin and holds things together!

Go make something new!

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 02:31:57 PM »
I've only really seen people use hot glue as 'slime/drool/snot' or pudding/slimes.  I haven't seen people sculpt with it before.  You've taken me down quite the rabbit hole, and I'm happy to watch your progress.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 03:19:25 PM »
I've only really seen people use hot glue as 'slime/drool/snot' or pudding/slimes.  I haven't seen people sculpt with it before.  You've taken me down quite the rabbit hole, and I'm happy to watch your progress.

You've gotta check out The Warsinger on Instagram. He makes C'tan shards from hot glue and cards stock and such. I wish he'd describe his technique, because he's the only hot glue sculptor of his skill level that I'm aware of, so I've been practicing based on what I can extrapolate from his work.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 07:35:32 PM »
Piney this is really interesting - an innovative way to approach the hobby. I don’t know much about the kings of wars lists: what other troop types will you need to represent? (Other than the elementals and paint wizards).

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 09:03:05 PM »
Piney this is really interesting - an innovative way to approach the hobby. I don’t know much about the kings of wars lists: what other troop types will you need to represent? (Other than the elementals and paint wizards).

So far just water and fire elementals and the druids. I've been thinking what else I'd do, and I'm pondering doing music bars and notes as air elementals, but we'll see. I'm open to suggestions lol.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 12:07:04 PM »
Massive progress today. I took yesterday off because work was so exhausting, I had no creative energy by day's end. Today was an enormous breakthrough. Shout out to my kitchen's sideboard plate for cooking utensils, you're a piece of hobby room gear now.

As you can see, a much cleaner peel on long, multi-bodied, shallow-bodied, and even perforated fan structures! Initially, I tried peeling them off with an impasto knife before realizing I, the fool, ought to be using an exacto blade. And gentlemen, the results are better than I could have hoped for.

As you can see, once dried the glue holds to itself perfectly, especially if the gun tip is used as a heat tool to re-seal the pieces. Individual splats can be quite narrow and even adopt a very natural flame-like curl. Accidental or deliberate holes in the fans don't seem to cause an upset in the durability of the piece. I am exceptionally pleased. My technical control of the gun needs practice, but with enough time I think I'm really onto something here.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2023, 01:15:04 PM »
One whole unit of fire elementals is built! I've found a way to make twisting sheets of flame by spreading glue thinly between two pieces of wire. That way, when I pry it off the plate the wire holds the glue in whatever shape I want, resulting in the luxurious twists below. I'm going to see how hard I can push this technique on the next model I make. The three rank up nicely, and this is the experimental stage, but I might see about making more prevalent shapes between figures if the results start looking too visually haphazard across units.

I'm a little trepidatious about starting oil painting, as I've never done it before and will no doubt need some supplies. I'd also like to pick a basing scheme before painting them.

How about a poll?

• A: tiled floor
  • B: wooden floor (maybe with the paint elementals springing out of canvases on the base?)
  • C: open to suggestion. Honestly haven't thought too much about basing

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 11:45:49 AM »
I like the idea, but how easy is to paint onto this material?

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 12:24:17 PM »
I like the idea, but how easy is to paint onto this material?

I have no idea :)

But to quote Godrey de Boullion in Kingdom of Heaven, "We can find out together."