Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread  (Read 60546 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »
Great job. I like the leather you've done.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
After almost losing my will to ever paint again after the goblins...I painted...another goblin.

This guy was normal sized though, and I enjoyed painting him (super fast and easy).  I also painted my favourite Minotaur sculpt (from a Mythic Game's board game)

Most importantly, after 17 years of misfires...I may have landed on a vague concept for the dungeon crawl game I've been building.  Playtested a new idea this weekend and it was pretty fun.  Will maybe start down this road finally.

(and no, not using my sexy Dwarven Forge stuff for playtesting - way too time intensive and this is very early days, just testing our some core mechanical concepts)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Honestly, sometimes I wish I stuck with 2D tiles. Maybe not as sexy, but by the stars easier to store, set up and play with... Even now, it looks great!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
Yep, there will be room for both.  For quick pick-up games, 2D tiles are far better, particularly with larger miniatures.  Every now and then I'll bust out the full 3D mega dungeon (as annoying as 2" hallways can be).  Also for rulebook pictures and promotional stuff, you can't beat it.

I think, in retrospect, if I had the choice to do over again, I'd go with some of the luxury flat tiles that you see people doing.  Really intricate base tiles, but no walls.  It's somewhere on lead adventure, but the guys who do the amazing WHQ tiles in nicer 3D style with gorgeous paint, etc.  That's probably the best method.  Particularly if you added some random chunks of 3D wall just for visual impact.

I admit I can do "more" with my dwarven forge, and I'll be having some levels so a visual game should look stunning.  These were test pics I took a while ago (read: five years back)

These had probably been posted in my older initial thread (killed by photobucket, etc.)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »
I'm so glad you posted your old pics again. That bottom one with the kit bashed knight fighting that elemental is one of my favourite pics but I couldnt find the thread after the photo bucket apocalypse.

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »
I'm so glad you posted your old pics again.
Agreed! Those are some incredible photos  :o

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2019, 01:27:36 AM »
Cracking stuff!  :o

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2019, 07:13:57 AM »
Thanks, I'm actually planning to do a whole new spread, it's been years.

I did snap a bunch of shots for some card-test shots (starting to design the art for the dungeon game).  They always look better with a proper dungeon background.

Should be a lot of stuff coming up in this thread as I progress!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2019, 07:31:05 AM »
Nice bunch of minis  :-*
Where's the cockatrice from?

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2019, 08:03:38 AM »
Nice bunch of minis  :-*
Where's the cockatrice from?

I was going to say the exact same things; lovely miniatures and ask where's the cockatrice from? It looks like the Massive Darkness one?

It's really nice to see those dungeon shots, very nice work.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2019, 06:54:04 AM »
Yep, it's the Cockatrix from Massive Darkness - it's actually the miniature which convinced me to get in on the Kickstarter.  I never even opened the actual box game (sitting on the shelf behind me).  It was for a half dozen or so of the bigger creatures.  I have a few more to paint.  Flogged the rest on eBay.  And yes...I saved the Unicorn. :D

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »
Cheers. It's one of the nicest I've seen, though it's not cheap to buy on its own!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
Inspirational and incredibly engaging work. Love it all. Please post more pics!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
Cheers. It's one of the nicest I've seen, though it's not cheap to buy on its own!

Yeah I don't recall if it was a KS exclusive, but it was definitely an add-on.  Sometimes you can find them for reasonable money on eBay (the monsters, not the Cockatrix as I haven't searched for it!) ...actually at a glance, yeah doesn't really exist but it is from a boxed expansion.  That's a shame.  The minotaur above (my favourite minotaur) was from another Mythic game.  I managed to get it for $9 on eBay though so I was super happy!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »
Ugh...orcs.

So I previously had painted some Wargames Factory orcs, and didn't much care for the look.  I sold them off, and then tried to find suitable replacement ones.  I picked up some cheap Bones Orcs on sale because they were Tre Manor sculpts and I love his stuff.  Well they're Bones material and I really didn't enjoy painting these guys.

So of course, the day I'm finishing their bases I stumble upon the Reaper "Dungeon Dweller" line, a small line but one of really nice classical style sculpts...in metal, and not super-mega-expensive.  So...I ordered the replacements for these three before I even finished painting them!  I'll try to flog these dudes to soak up some of the cost, but I never thought it'd be hard to find good looking quality orcs!

Anyway...three new temporary residents of the dungeon.  Bones is really not ideal even on larger 28mm figures.  It's hard to get at the mold lines and the teeth on the big guy are just a nightmare I couldn't clean up.  Thankfully the inbound replacements are metal!