Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread  (Read 60503 times)

Offline 1000foot

• Bookworm
    • 1000 Foot General
Re: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
Elbows, your game is looking great. Are you planning on creating some blind playtest versions?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2020, 03:15:35 PM »
No major plans for that at the moment.  I have a decent group here obliging me with testing, and when it's further along I may send a couple copies to friends around the country, etc.

Right now it's a pretty versatile game that seems to lean toward the right amount of difficulty...but many more games will be needed.  The goal is probably to be done by the end of 2020 (with the basic game, not my collection/dungeon or possible expansions).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »
Must have missed the last update - those wide shots of the dungeon are excellent

:)

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! I've been looking for a dungeon crawl ruleset for years and am yet to find something that really ticks the box.

I'd love to see more of this should it ever become a product or more than one man's struggle with Dungeonforge :lol:

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:58 AM »
Thanks guys,

With regards to the game...it's my usual fare; I build a game I want to play - but because I insist on top quality appearances/etc. I put a lot of effort into the cards, and components.  Because I use print-on-demand stuff for my games, it only makes sense to release it to the public if it's "solid" enough.  This means the games are not written with wide appeal or mass-market goals/aims.

At the rate I'm going it is likely the game would be available by the end of 2020, and I'll be sure to post up some overviews of it when it's closer to that.

I did another couple of games this weekend - though I'm excited by the second version of my cards should arrive by week's end!

The party starting its second (and final...) quest:

Our party perishes attempting to enter the final room and escape via the staircase...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2020, 08:17:27 PM »
Going to have another run tomorrow...the big change?  Version 2 stuff has shown up!  So many revised cards (over 300 at the moment).  Revised monsters, traps, chambers, art across the board, etc.

I'll expect another 2-3 versions before it's properly ironed out.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
Another dungeon crawl last night...another dead party.  Though this time we were close!

The abandoned and haunted Tavern has a sinister secret...

How the game ended...a Giant...chasing a Goblin King...chasing our last Wizard...who in turn ran into cave spiders and was devoured...

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2020, 08:53:28 PM »
Unlucky wizard. I see it's a circular dungeon, so Benny Hill music could've been played. Damn spiders.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2020, 09:56:40 PM »
Fantastic looking setup as always. I'm blown away by the quality of your components for your games too. I've bought games off the shelf where less effort has been applied by even large publishers.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2020, 12:36:13 AM »
Very nice looking. Those cards look great! I love the Krass mini as well. I must add him to my list from Reaper.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2020, 04:33:10 AM »
Thanks guys,

Just a heads up - Krass ships with a different sword.  It was a small metal joint I wasn't wanting to deal with so I gave him a random skeleton hand/sword (and picked a mediocre sword!).

The dungeon did indeed have a couple of options, but at the end our Wizard was going to try to escape in order to save the party (if one Hero survives the other Heroes survive as well, albeit while losing all of their money, items, armour, treasure, etc.).  The other exit was actually in the room with the giant...so he decided to try to run all the way back out of the tavern.

One of the game mechanics is that a Hero Party activates a random encounter whenever they roll certain dice - this is infinitely easier when the party is small...or a single hero. This mechanic is intentional, in order to keep the party relatively close and not have everyone running off on their solo adventures.  The Wizard actually ran into a Sorcerer in the Tavern...fell back into the caverns to ready himself for the fight...where he triggered the spiders.

The Quest room had actually had a giant chained up by a Goblin King.  We were so busted up we decided to free the giant (using keys we had located earlier) hoping he would kill the Goblin King...  Little did we know he'd attack everyone.  So he kicked my Thief across the room, killing him and then started chasing the Goblin King...who was chasing our Wizard.  It was a bad time. :D

PS: Regarding the components, thanks!  That is the goal...even if it's a simple game I've designed to run for friends I always want the presentation to be top notch.  I'm a one-man army when it comes to make the games, but I just spend a lot of time trying to get the stuff to look professional and exciting.  It's a part of the game, seeing good looking or attractive components. 

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2020, 08:44:59 AM »
I completely agree. You need the components to look good. I've done similar for the old Warhammer quest. I think I may have used a photo of one of your models in it (used internet images) I imagine your background images are from your own models?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
Yep, mainly because I can't afford to buy art.  I'd love to have a gorgeous old-school art look or something cool...but photos of my own miniatures are free.  The cards are small enough that my "okay" painting is enough to get by.  It does mean, however, that I need to paint/build every single thing that I want in the game...which is time consuming. :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2020, 06:12:58 AM »
Yet motivating I'm sure. I've not painted anything for a good few months (other hobby aspects taking precedence)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2020, 12:48:04 AM »
I may be stagnating painting figures, but an order from Dwarven Forge showed up and...I painted it.

A relatively boring order consisting of a bunch of elevation pieces, so I can start with some variety inside the dungeon.

An hour or two later, it was done: