Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28450 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 22 10 18
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »
Very nice.  Can I ask - how are you structuring your Queen's Rangers force? 

The AWI version of the QRs DID have some riflemen later on, but only a squad (typically 12-16 men, under a sergeant - and they were mounted in the Southern campaign!), so your 12 guys are a 1:1 representation of the actual rifle component.

Thanks, that’s very useful to know. At this stage I’m working off the core force lists in the Sharp Practice rule book, which calls for groups of either 6 or 8 Loyalist skirmisher riflemen. So in this instance I’ve just acquired an initial 12 of these Perry figures to meet that need. They are, as you’ve noted unmounted, but I shall assume for game purposes they have dismounted for action (well, that’s my excuse anyway).

As Loyalists and Regulars units would have served together, is it a stretch to assume a group of Ranger riflemen might have worked alongside Regulars in a small action, say serving as scouts and skirmishers?

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »
The riflemen actually took part in a mounted charge with the hussar troop at Spencer's Ordinary, sadly resulting in the death of Sergeant M'Pherson, who commanded them.

The QRs worked alongside the 71st in the South (an action called Point of Fork, against von Steuben and some Virginia troops).  However, there's no reason why you couldn't organise some other QR infantry - a couple of groups of grenadiers or highland company would look good. 

In fact, you could say that the QRs were made for SP2 (or is it the other way around?).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 27 09 18
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
thanks, not in oz, but similar ones on sale here in the uk, but that style / quality is starting to get a bit painful in the prices dept.

Queen's Rangers are the bees-knees btw. Lovely painting

Sorry, just realised you had asked for a link, I went through my purchase history and found it, here it is:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GJ06-Mini-Flocking-Static-Grass-Applicator-SCENIC-MODELLING-NEW-/173100057492?hash=item284d914394

My first one was about half the price, I couldn't say this new one is twice as good, but it is better.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:53 PM »
In fact, you could say that the QRs were made for SP2 (or is it the other way around?).

So Brendan, tell me, are you working on a commission from the Perrys by any chance? Every time you provide me with one of your gloriously comprehensive replies I’m off to the Perry website deciding what I need to buy next. Not only that, I’ve yet to get my existing AWI forces on the table for a game (although I’m pleased to say I hope to rectify that next weekend). That said, a Loyalist Force made up of QRs is very tempting.........

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
I do actually "work" for them - mostly Alan - occasionally (and very beneficially, they are a most generous pair). 

I'm actually looking at a QR force for SP2 myself, at the moment - although I have yet to decide which of the three distinct versions I'm going for: the initial one, under Rogers and then Weymss as a conventional infantry battalion; or the middle period under Simcoe when the Highland company and Hussar troop were added; or the final one, with the expanded corps from 1780 to the end of the war, wearing the later uniforms (including the iconic leather caps) from the Murray watercolours.  Decisions, decisions.....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:10:04 PM by Baron von Wreckedoften »

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2018, 03:12:42 AM »
The QRs worked alongside the 71st in the South (an action called Point of Fork, against von Steuben and some Virginia troops).  However, there's no reason why you couldn't organise some other QR infantry - a couple of groups of grenadiers or highland company would look good. 

I see the Perry’s do QR grenadiers and lights, but would the highland company have a different uniform, or just some variation to the uniform to distinguish them?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
The Highland company was originally raised in "highland dress" (which everyone has taken to mean the slightly different coat, sashes worn over the shoulder rather than around the waist, kilts, blue bonnets, broadswords, etc) and quickly became regarded as a second "light company", although it was occasionally used to guard Simcoe in action.  Given that all other Highland regiments adopted overalls for campaign dress fairly quickly after arriving in N America, I would use the Highland flank company figures at porte arms (pack AW 11, pack AW 8 for command - put a musket/fusil in the right hands of the two ensigns to give extra officers or sergeants) to have them in the same pose as all the other QR figures - assuming you like that sort of thing, it allows you to use the marching "late" highlanders in overalls as 42nd/71st/76th/whichever.

Also, if you're representing the QRs in their pre-leather cap days (1775 to early 1780), when they wore what Simcoe described as "miserable contract hats", I would go for pack AW 57 as they are in a broadly "high porte" pose, without packs and give the hats some white lace.  The uniforms of the grenadier, light and highland companies would be the same for either period.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2018, 01:02:54 AM »
So now that I have enough miniatures for a game of Sharp Practice I've just needed to add a bit of terrain.  Not least of which is the ubiquitous split rail fencing. I've posted a tutorial for this on my blog and you can see it here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2018/11/making-split-rail-fences.html

These will all hit the table this weekend for the first outing for Sharp Practice in the AWI. Can't wait.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 02 11 18
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
The fences are little gems and the house has painted up very well too , it’s now on my to buy list . 😁

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 02 11 18
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2018, 02:07:06 AM »
Nice to finally pull all these elements together over the weekend and play my first game of Sharp Practice. A learning game as much as anything but our familiarity with Lardie rules meant much was intuitive and play flowed at a good pace. I've written an abbreviated AAR here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2018/11/first-game-of-sharp-practice-during-awi.html

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 05 11 18
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »
It must have been an amazing feeling to finally get these to the table. Sharp Practice is a really great game, and your project is awesome! :)

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
Just goes to show you don't need a "traffic jam" of units to have a good game.  Nice to see the toys out on the table and giving pleasure to both players.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »
Great looking fame

Cheers
Matt

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2018, 03:44:24 AM »
Great work you have done here and a pleasure to view.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
Love it, for some reason, I also started my foray into SP2 with AWI, and loving it, especially the Perry sculpts. The plastics make great line troops and the Foundry and Perry metals have so many lovely characters to add.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---