Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28461 times)

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 18 06 21
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2021, 08:30:29 PM »
Very nice work on the terrain.  One small objection is to the cross on the church - in the Colonies crosses as decorations were uncommon at this time (too Popish) but otherwise they look lovely.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2021, 05:40:22 AM »
Very nice work on the terrain.  One small objection is to the cross on the church - in the Colonies crosses as decorations were uncommon at this time (too Popish) but otherwise they look lovely.

Yeah, don't disagree but it comes moulded to the church exterior, it would take major surgery to remove. This congregation will have to be papists and punished for their sins!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2021, 05:51:00 AM »
As part of bringing the thread up to speed I've dug out some more images of various projects that I've worked on in recent months.

I've put together scatter terrain and potential booty for foraging parties and raids. The barrels are from Renedra and the animals are from the Warlord plastic sprue and a very useful set it is - a few of the chickens can be seen pecking the ground in the vegetable garden. Talking of which the cabbages were made from paper roses sold in stationery stores in the wedding invitation section. They are a bit over scale but let's just assume the local farmer is aiming for a prize at the local agricultural show.

I made up some of the Renedra wattle fence enclosures thinking more of games set in Dark Age or Medieval periods but they could come in handy for almost any period. That made me realise the basing for the animals was a little too regular in shape and so I took by Dremel to them and formed them into more naturalistic shapes so that they would sit better in the enclosures. I think this works a lot better now.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 19 06 21
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2021, 06:10:12 AM »
One of the fortunate things about living in Australia is how little the covid pandemic limited face to face gaming. Aside from about 10 weeks I've been able to play face to face for most of the last 12 months. Sharp Practice has featured in that gaming and I'm pleased to say I've really started to get a handle on the rules. It reached a point back in September of last year when we played two games in succession that I felt we'd arrived at a watershed moment in the learning curve. I wrote up a report on the games and what I thought I'd learned from the process in a post you can read here http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2020/09/coming-to-grips-with-sharp-practice.html

As always it was great to put terrain and figures on the table and actually play.

My regular opponent and I joined a new club last year and that's introduced us to many new gamers. More recently we hosted a four player game of the Sharp Practice scenario in the most recent Lard Magazine - The Magistrate's Daughter. An excellent scenario for four players and one with several objectives for all players which made for a very entertaining game with plenty of action for everyone.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:32:46 AM by TacticalPainter »

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2021, 06:46:56 AM »
What he said!   8)

yep, just done the same, thank you.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
That is a beautiful board and wonderful terrain.  Great work.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
Nice, very nice.

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2021, 04:46:22 PM »
You have done a lovely job with the minis you've painted for this project. AWI is probably my favourite black powder period. I concentrated more on the campaign in the south. The Perry Southern Militia minis are really stunning (in my opinion). I bought way more of them than I needed.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2021, 01:21:53 AM »
I've wanted to add some loyalists to the collection, so far all I have is a dozen of the Perry Queens Rangers 'riflemen skirmishing'. I've since discovered that the QRs had a unit of only 16 riflemen and the information the Perry's used to create this group was based on misinformation and confusion over a Canadian unit. For now I've used them mainly to stand in as generic loyalist riflemen or QR light infantry.

I've wanted a more general group of loyalists and Giles Alisson's excellent blog Tarleton's Quarter suggest you can make these using the Perry plastic continental bodies and the round hats that come with the plastic British regulars. I've used the British arms with muskets at the trail and gone with green jackets with white facings. Any thoughts on whether these would also pass as QR centre company men?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:44:18 AM by TacticalPainter »

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 20 06 21
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2021, 01:42:27 AM »
The most recent addition has also been my first mounted figures for the period and this brings this thread up to speed with the project so far. These are the Perry 17th Light Dragoons and lovely sculpts they are too. While I'm happy with the end result for some reason the painting of these turned into a terrible chore and I began to fear they would never be finished. Pleased to say I got there in the end.

Ironically their first time on the table was not a game of Sharp Practice, but one using the Muskets & Tomahawks 2 rules. My regular opponent enjoys the Studio Tomahawk rules and was keen that we give these a try to compare how they play against Sharp Practice. As you might expect given Studio Tomahawk's track record the rules are tight and give a good game experience. Whether it's a good historical game I'm less certain.

Some things struck me as just plain wrong. The rating for British Light Infantry give them an Aggression rating of 7+. That's a measure of their close combat prowess rolled on a D10 where you have to roll the rating number or higher for a hit. British regular infantry (centre companies) are rated at 6+ and Grenadiers at 4+ (making them a veritable steam roller when it comes to hand-to-hand). I can't understand why the Lights are rated so poorly, not just against the other British line units but more so when compared to American Militia which are also rated at 7+. It would make more sense to me to have the Lights rated slightly better than the centre companies but not better than the Grenadiers, so perhaps 5+. The American Militia at 7+ would then seem about right. I had a few other issues that meant overall I found more granularity and depth in Sharp Practice than M&T2.

As for my Light Dragoons and their first time in action, they put in a late appearance and exacted a bloody revenge on a Continental officer who had just slain my Rangers officer in hand-to-hand.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:44:31 AM by TacticalPainter »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
Excellent additions to your force.   :-* :-* :-* :-*   I love the Light Dragoons, but why 9 models may I ask?

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2021, 10:24:47 AM »
Excellent additions to your force.   :-* :-* :-* :-*   I love the Light Dragoons, but why 9 models may I ask?

Sharp Practice has groups of eight plus a leader. Perry sell the Dragoons in sets of three with one set a command set. Conveniently making up the nine I need to start off with.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't familiar with SP2. That worked out pretty well then. :D :D

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
The QR hatmen look good to me.  So do the dragoons!  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »
Continuing the excellent work.  QR are very good.  Also the terrain is great - really makes the photos come to life.