Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: STAR BREACH: The Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (CoOp/Solo Expansion! Pg15)  (Read 45084 times)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Sweet! Thanks for the new packs, I'm printing out all the rules this week and then its go time!
I've decided to use my Infinity models for my starter games as they don't see enough play, because as much as I love Infinity... It is way to taxing on the brain  o_o.
It look simple enough to have a small lvl of UC for a couple of solo games to iron out the rules and take them up to my group to convince them to have a go.

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
In light of your excitement for campaign play and multi-player rules, I am absolutely thrilled to announce that our Organized Play supplements are here and ready to download! Tournament rules, Campaign rules, and a MASSIVE Starfall Scenarios Pack are now all available on the website (FOR FREE) and ready to help you and your gaming crew organize community games of Starfall. We'll be also announcing our first prize support company for summer season 2018 in just a matter of days, and the new Starfall Forum is up and running as well!

Great to see the new supplements!

I tried to register on your forum, but got an error about the length of my password, even though it was longer than the minimum.

Anyway I quickly looked over the new supplements, and I like them, especially the idea of the gradually evolving Alpha during campaigns.

I noticed a small discrepancy with the rules for earning AP in the Campaign rules. Page 4 and pg 6 seems to cover the same process, but on pg 6 the rules seem more general, "applying 4 wounds or more" vs "eliminates by half the wounds or more (rounding down)." I'm pretty sure you mean for the pg 6 version to be the final one.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Sweet! Thanks for the new packs, I'm printing out all the rules this week and then its go time!
I've decided to use my Infinity models for my starter games as they don't see enough play, because as much as I love Infinity... It is way to taxing on the brain  o_o.
It look simple enough to have a small lvl of UC for a couple of solo games to iron out the rules and take them up to my group to convince them to have a go.

So jazzed to hear you'll be playing soon, Darathar! I am super jazzed to see your fantastic models in play for Starfall! I hear ya on Infinity, btw. I was instantly turned-off by it at a convention when I watched three friends debate over a single action for like 10mins straight.

I think you'll pick up Starfall super-quick with only a couple of small games, no doubt. Building warbands can, intentionally, take a long time because there are some many fun combos and options, but the game itself moves at a really decent and smooth pace. Maybe start with 60uc per side and go from there. Once you have the order dice and attack/dodge roll system down, it's all strategy and fun from then on! Do take lots of pics and let us know how everything goes!  :-*
Creator of Star Breach and NCO Tabletop Games: starbreach.com

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Great to see the new supplements!

I tried to register on your forum, but got an error about the length of my password, even though it was longer than the minimum.

Anyway I quickly looked over the new supplements, and I like them, especially the idea of the gradually evolving Alpha during campaigns.

I noticed a small discrepancy with the rules for earning AP in the Campaign rules. Page 4 and pg 6 seems to cover the same process, but on pg 6 the rules seem more general, "applying 4 wounds or more" vs "eliminates by half the wounds or more (rounding down)." I'm pretty sure you mean for the pg 6 version to be the final one.

Hey Kontuz! So glad you're getting right into Starfall! That's a GREAT catch on the rules, and thanks for letting me know early on! The ruling is actually meant to be the "applying 4 wounds or more" wording (as it's much easier to track). I had updated it in one spot, but missed the other. I just fixed the inconsistency and uploaded the new document! Thank you again!

Also, did you manage to get into our forum, finally? Would love to have you there!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Sooooo.... this is awesome...

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
I'm putting together a quick "Path" themed warband to get a handle on how to build lists in SF. I have a general question, do the psychics take all known abilities of their school, unless otherwise restricted, and at no additional cost?

The band I'm working on has 8 uc to spare, and no optional equipment left to buy, is there anything I can do to soak up these credits?

[Removed comment on training rod, it's melee only.]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:07:39 AM by Kontuz »

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
I'm putting together a quick "Path" themed warband to get a handle on how to build lists in SF. I have a general question, do the psychics take all known abilities of their school, unless otherwise restricted, and at no additional cost?

The band I'm working on has 8 uc to spare, and no optional equipment left to buy, is there anything I can do to soak up these credits?

[Removed comment on training rod, it's melee only.]

Hey Kontuz! Glad to hear you're jumping into Starfall!

All psychics, unless specifically noted, know and can attempt to cast all of the abilities listed in their Psychic School. Also, unless noted, these abilities do not cost the player any extra UC to use. The psychic typically knows all of his abilities listed and can attempt to cast them without cost.

The Path "Peacetime" is a super fun warband, but can be a tough one to learn the basic rules with, as they rely upon a lot of psychic power and close combat. The Path "Wartime" is a great warband as well, but definitely drops the psychic power and close combat reliance for more guns and troops. Not sure which selector you're going with, but sorry to hear you have 8uc left over! Since Open Play Matches can be fluid with UC limit from match to match, maybe create a match-up where the opponent to your Path list is limited to the total your Path warband is currently at.

Enjoy your game and be sure to let us know how it goes! Cheers!

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
Thanks for the reply. I rearranged a few options and was able to spend the complete 120 for the peacetime Path warband. Got a spare Android out of it, just under that 48 uc limit! :)

I'm planning out an Inquisition warband as an opposing force, and I've come up with a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Are psychic attacks allowed as fire actions in response to assaults? For example, attempting to "Push" the attacker out of charging range, or over a ledge, etc.

Can figures switch between primary and secondary weapons on the fly? Eg, advance fire with one weapon and focus fire with the other.

If a player can choose what to equip for primary and secondary weapons, are there any limitations on what can be called a secondary or primary weapon?

If a figure has already lost its primary weapon, does the School of Order power Dismantle destroy any secondary weapon?

Can a figure equip two Scripts of Retribution and reroll each attack twice? If it had one Script of Retribution and one Script of Balance could it also reroll twice?

Would the skill Weapons Mastery not apply to focus fire, but Deadeye 2 would?

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Thanks for the reply. I rearranged a few options and was able to spend the complete 120 for the peacetime Path warband. Got a spare Android out of it, just under that 48 uc limit! :)

I'm planning out an Inquisition warband as an opposing force, and I've come up with a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Are psychic attacks allowed as fire actions in response to assaults? For example, attempting to "Push" the attacker out of charging range, or over a ledge, etc.

Can figures switch between primary and secondary weapons on the fly? Eg, advance fire with one weapon and focus fire with the other.

If a player can choose what to equip for primary and secondary weapons, are there any limitations on what can be called a secondary or primary weapon?

If a figure has already lost its primary weapon, does the School of Order power Dismantle destroy any secondary weapon?

Can a figure equip two Scripts of Retribution and reroll each attack twice? If it had one Script of Retribution and one Script of Balance could it also reroll twice?

Would the skill Weapons Mastery not apply to focus fire, but Deadeye 2 would?

Glad to hear you made it work! The Path peacetime is probably the most limited warband selection wise-apart from maybe Hunters- as it really focuses on the Jedi..er...Knight and his abilities. Fantastic questions, all of which I can help ya with!

1) Yes. As it’s a legit “Fire” order, this can certainly include attempting to cast psychic abilities. Just remember the focus of the ability must target the assaulting model and any initiative mods still apply. Push (or Halt) is a fantastic idea for this situation!

2) Yes. The soldier may fire with any single weapon or grenade equipped. Mechs get to fire both weapons equipped.

3) On page 3 of the latest warband anthology (the one with errata 2), there are listed clear instructions on how weapons should be slotted in “Primary” and “Secondary” slots. Be sure to check that out.

4) I don’t have the anthology on hand atm, so I can’t quite remember the exact wording of either script. I would say it’s legal as long as there are no other restrictions listed. I have not clarified if only one relic can be used in a “Down” order or multiple. For now, go with multiple being legal, as it makes sense to me and that’s how it would be played as written. Should be fine.

5) I believe that’s correct. Weapons Mastery intentionally only mentions “Fire” order and not “Focus Fire”, as Focus Fire implies a serious concentration on a single shot (two shots for mechs) and is this excluded.

Hope those answers help! Stoked to see what you come up with!

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
3) On page 3 of the latest warband anthology (the one with errata 2), there are listed clear instructions on how weapons should be slotted in “Primary” and “Secondary” slots. Be sure to check that out.

Thanks, I had the latest version, just overlooked that. So I guess secondary weapons are always safe from Dismantle, since it calls out primary weapons and grenades.
4) I don’t have the anthology on hand atm, so I can’t quite remember the exact wording of either script. I would say it’s legal as long as there are no other restrictions listed. I have not clarified if only one relic can be used in a “Down” order or multiple. For now, go with multiple being legal, as it makes sense to me and that’s how it would be played as written. Should be fine.

The entry for Script of Retribution is:"Once per scroll taken, when the soldier who bears this script rolls an attack roll, after the opposing player rolls his dodge roll, the controlling player may choose to re-roll his dice result."

I can see taking the Script of Redemption:
"Once per scroll taken, when this soldier executes an order that results in rolling 2D6 for any reason, the controlling player may choose to re-roll his dice result."

And combining it with any other scroll to get two optional rerolls for 3uc.
Hope those answers help! Stoked to see what you come up with!

I'll post the warband rosters on your site once I get them formatted.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Thanks, I had the latest version, just overlooked that. So I guess secondary weapons are always safe from Dismantle, since it calls out primary weapons and grenades.
The entry for Script of Retribution is:"Once per scroll taken, when the soldier who bears this script rolls an attack roll, after the opposing player rolls his dodge roll, the controlling player may choose to re-roll his dice result."
I can see taking the Script of Redemption:
"Once per scroll taken, when this soldier executes an order that results in rolling 2D6 for any reason, the controlling player may choose to re-roll his dice result."
And combining it with any other scroll to get two optional rerolls for 3uc.
I'll post the warband rosters on your site once I get them formatted.

Yup yup! That all sounds good to me! Excited!

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
I posted the two warbands I worked up on the StarFallTT site.

Next step is to put minis together for at least two lists and see if I can't scare up a game sometime next month, in between everything else that's happening.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Just created the "Starfall Warband Research Project" which is an opportunity to make your Starfall battle reports this summer really work towards the overall balancing and fun of the game! Sign-up is easy! Follow the link below and add your name and email under one (or two) of the warbands listed. Then, simply play Starfall this summer with the warband you selected! Take a few notes on your experience with the warband overall: from list building to tabletop play. For each battle report you send in for your warband, your name will be included in a raffle and you could win a sweet prize pack!

You're gonna play Starfall this summer anyway, so why not use your battles to make our beloved game the best it can be!? Sign-up today! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B_yyfmLdTMai4duzJtuQV3pIGrY7E401pJgi1EjKIK0/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:45:52 AM by Burma44 »

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Update: the Warband Research Project sheet is now editable upon visiting. Now you can actually sign-up! Haha

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
STARFALL renamed/relocated to STAR BREACH: same great game!
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2018, 03:16:35 AM »
So very long, very ridiculous legal story short, Starfall (The FREE multiverse, sci-fi, tabletop skirmisher) has been officially renamed Star Breach, and can be downloaded for free in all it's glory at our new domain: https://www.starbreach.com

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, Star Breach has a simple aim: Any Sci-Fi Universe. Any Sci-Fi Models. 20 Unique Factions. Tournament and Campaign Mode. Forever Free to Play.

Along with the name change, there have been some light rule tweaks throughout the rules and documents (but nothing too major). Whether you're a new player or a vet, thanks for checking out the game, and I'd love to see what you come up with in the comments bellow! Welcome to Star Breach!