Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:58:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th  (Read 58657 times)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2018, 02:08:17 PM »
They added a lot of cool stuff to the unlocked minis... I'm def staying in... it got a lot better... and i like that there is only 4000 being made... i think they start to reverse the negative trend now... a lot of extra add ons you can buy too... we'll see...
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
That looks like a last gasp desperation ploy to me.  So many figures they are (theoretically) committed to producing without a confirmed level of funding.
As if there were not enough red flags on this already.

Staggering hubris from these idiots.

Shame about Confrontation.  :'(

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
They added a lot of cool stuff to the unlocked minis... I'm def staying in... it got a lot better... and i like that there is only 4000 being made... i think they start to reverse the negative trend now... a lot of extra add ons you can buy too... we'll see...

They did add a lot of stuff yes, but no idea how they're gonna afford to produce all of it. It seems especially mental with this being a completely limited Kickstarter only now so they won't be making their money back on this stuff afterwards. Of course they still have a retail pledge of x6 boxes... dunno how that works with the 4000 limit and no retail release...  ;D

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
$1.43 per mini not including all the terrain, boards..... no repeating minis.... i'm going to guess they've been crunching numbers and can get all these produced for 4000 sets for a certain amount... they are going to make a LOT selling just the add ons to people who don't want the big box... the plastic dragon has to cost less then a dollar to make and they are selling it for $149.... they are going to make a lot of money on this... i don't worry about them going broke.... it's PLASTIC... and they already have the sculpts (tho that is still somewhat unclear).... you could probably make each batch of 4000 minis for about $15-20 in raw plastic cost at the buying levels these chinese plants get it at.

Offline Lolbat

• Student
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
Of course they still have a retail pledge of x6 boxes... dunno how that works with the 4000 limit and no retail release...  ;D

I can’t see any retailer being interested in this. A very expensive one-off product that won’t be expanded upon or rereleased?

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
i don't worry about them going broke.... it's PLASTIC... and they already have the sculpts (tho that is still somewhat unclear).... you could probably make each batch of 4000 minis for about $15-20 in raw plastic cost at the buying levels these chinese plants get it at.

The raw plastic costs is never an issue with these things it's tooling. Plastic moulds are notoriously expensive, like £20k - £30k per sprue to make. Then you've got all the rest of the production including packaging, cards etc. Assuming they can even produce them, we still don't even know what kind of quality these are gonna end up as since they're only showing old studio pictures of the miniatures.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
So their response to the freefall has been to limit the regular pledges to 2000 (as well as 2000 early birds) and declare that this stuff will never be available outside the KS... It also seems they have no plans to actually bring back old Confrontation stuff as their new Resurrection game will have it's own new minis.

That is either a joke or they want to test to which extraordinary degree you can abuse fanboys & girls... If not before this should make the last one run away screaming...

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
That is either a joke or they want to test to which extraordinary degree you can abuse fanboys & girls... If not before this should make the last one run away screaming...

Well they're going up now so seems to be working... They've also just announced a resin pledge, all in much like the main pledge but without any stretch goals.

Resin is Confrontations Holy Grail.
Get your hands on the 178 unique miniatures from the Celebration Pledge in resin at the price of 990 €.

This pledge includes the 2 Battle Sets, but none of the Stretch Goals.
    This prestigious edition will not be available as a Late Pledge.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
Well they're going up now so seems to be working... They've also just announced a resin pledge, all in much like the main pledge but without any stretch goals.

...hmmm, I've seen that. The resin is indeed tempting...but €1000,-???? Seriously?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »
The raw plastic costs is never an issue with these things it's tooling. Plastic moulds are notoriously expensive, like £20k - £30k per sprue to make. Then you've got all the rest of the production including packaging, cards etc. Assuming they can even produce them, we still don't even know what kind of quality these are gonna end up as since they're only showing old studio pictures of the miniatures.

Bang on.

None of this actually makes any sense to me. If this will be the 'last' chance to get the old style miniatures why on Earth do it in PVC? Why on earth go through all of the hassle to get metal production moulds made only to not get the use out of them, and at such a relatively low cost?

Material cost is by the by. How many moulds are they needing for these? My guess is that this is the reason for the lump them altogether deal. They can economise on mould space without worrying about making units out of them etc.

Still, seems dodgy as hell to me which is why I have avoided it and not recommended it to anyone.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »
It is possible they could be pricing doing this with the cheap short life Aluminium moulds although 4000 plus retailers pledges is on the limit of "quality" injection for those. Maybe that is why they capped the number.

Still, seems dodgy as hell to me which is why I have avoided it and not recommended it to anyone.

Agreed.  It still feels wrong.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:13:01 PM by robh »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2018, 06:49:43 PM »
Maybe that is why they capped the number.
My guess is that it purely was done to create more demand; fear of missing out and all that.

In reference to another post above - I doubt any particular number crunching has been done. The required knowledge and capability seems severely lacking in the team behind this KS. I sincerely hope things turn out well, for the backers more than the company involved. But I have seen little evidence to believe that will be the case.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »
I suggested on dakkadakka that they were doing this all as one big box to keep the work and cost to a minimum and make a quick buck. Essentially just pack everything into one or two big moulds, Get them pumped out in china like cheap toy soldiers.

I really don't see how they could have had a proper worked out budget that says they couldn't afford single faction boxes or a smaller starting point, But now with LESS funding then they had after the first week, they can afford to throw a whole bunch of stuff in? Seems like a desperate last grasp, and I highly doubt they've properly factored any of these new rewards into their timeframe/budget.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »
A CHALLENGER APPEARS.

that is to say that Cadwallon, the company that had kept confrontation alive by recasting the old figures for the last few years, have a kickstarter launching soon.

These are all their own sculpts, many of which i belive have been on heir website for a while.

They are in a lovely rackham style, and unlike SD we know the material and skill set being used.

This kickstarter to me seems like it is being run by people with more passion for confrontation than the actual confrontation one!
actual fresh sculpts, a new game, and a clear attention to detail and aesthetic consistency that does the legacy of rackham proud.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/755853.page
https://cadwallon.com/legends-of-signum

(I do wonder if the name is meant to confuse people and draw in age of sigmar fans....  lol )

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
It is a strange looking game, part CCG, part miniatures with a city builder mechanism in there too.
The miniatures are excellent, I have a couple of them.
There is not going to be a "just the minis" pledge but each starter faction has a figure box with a few tokens etc in.

Kickstarter Advance look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2034410916/319726173?ref=445132&token=ceea4041

Some of these sculpts look perfect for Cadwallon types. I have them for Moonstone.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:10:33 PM by robh »