Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th  (Read 58701 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »
I wonder if they have a license that depends on them producing a product within a certain timeframe?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
Well. They finally made it and dropped below tha half million mark.

Sympathy or suspicion aside, I think they have seriously underestimated the KS competition and the problems a KS brings, when hundreds of investors ask very detailed questions in public.

I still think, this might drop even lower in the next few days, when more and more backers realise that by now 150,000€ of funds have been lost and the risk for a very high pledge has considerably risen and continues to rise with the possibility of a Moria-situation in the last 48 hours („We cannot get out!“)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:49:07 PM by DivisMal »

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »
I wonder if they have a license that depends on them producing a product within a certain timeframe?

Unlikely, they own the licence, or at least a holding company in Hong Kong owned by the same guy does.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
Unlikely, they own the licence, or at least a holding company in Hong Kong owned by the same guy does.

Then it sounds like a sales tactic to scare up some new backers

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2018, 09:11:52 PM »
Jebus, £13k down in one day, that's not great.

EDIT: ... and counting - £14k and a half now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:19:26 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
They lost more yesterday.

I was watching this and Hellboy and they were competing to see if one could make the amount of money the other lost . . . . . .  ;D

Suffering from detailed questions in public is close to the truth. Not having thought that people might ask such questions and therefore have the answers already presented is probably closer to it.

Announcing that you do not have the masters, or the moulds and that you will have to be scanning them in and adjusting them to make 3d renders to be printed - suggests at least you should have one or two pieces done in such a way so that people can have confidence in what you are suggesting.

Then there is the PVC for what were once considered high end miniatures. Folk that collect Rackham/Confrontation do so for the quality. Without examples I'm sure people have lost confidence.

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2018, 11:29:01 PM »
They seem to have just abandoned the comments...

There are still people on there with no understanding of how things get made insisting that SD will be making steel moulds.
One person seems to think that their willingness to sell the masters means they are making steel moulds because it shows they aren't precious about them , Because apparently "when you make a steel mould, you encase the figure in steel and it gets damaged in the process"...

The mind boggles.I think I'll send that one to my old casting tutor to add to his big book of dumb mistakes.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2018, 12:03:28 AM »
Because apparently "when you make a steel mould, you encase the figure in steel and it gets damaged in the process"...

That is part of what happens in bronze casting for sculptures etc.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »
That is part of what happens in bronze casting for sculptures etc.

Indeed it is, I have a few of my own bronze works on my desk as i type. But it's not a method you'd ever need to use for miniatures, and you also don't coat the master in metal. You coat it in a ceramic shell , layer by layer over several days. it's also not a method you'd use if you needed more than 1 of something, Since the mould is destroyed when you remove the cast.

The comments on this kickstarter remind me of a teacher i worked with once when i helped to run an sculpture workshop at her school.
She wanted to cast her students hands, so she was all ready to get them to stick their hands in a bucket of setting plaster up to the elbow. I told her this would not only not work, but could seriously hurt her students. She said "but they'll have vaseline on so they can just pull their hands out." It took me longer than i would have liked to get her to understand WHY what she was planning wouldn't work, and she still insisted she had seen it work before and i was just making it more complicated.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2018, 05:25:42 AM »
€16944 down in total yesterday.  :o  Blimey, they lose as much daily as a small company would love to just reach at the end of a campaign. If the last six days pan out like that, that could be another €100k less - still above the goal, but possibly not by too much, and at about two thirds of what they had at their peak. Once again makes you wonder what the genuine funding required is...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2018, 05:35:13 AM »
The comments on this kickstarter remind me of a teacher i worked with once when i helped to run an sculpture workshop at her school.
She wanted to cast her students hands, so she was all ready to get them to stick their hands in a bucket of setting plaster up to the elbow. I told her this would not only not work, but could seriously hurt her students. She said "but they'll have vaseline on so they can just pull their hands out." It took me longer than i would have liked to get her to understand WHY what she was planning wouldn't work, and she still insisted she had seen it work before and i was just making it more complicated.

I have to ask -- what happened when the plaster hardened? :D

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
I have to ask -- what happened when the plaster hardened? :D

Well luckily the kids didn't have their arms in it. But there have been cases of kids getting third degree burns (people forget that plaster is exothermic when setting, and a large volume of it can get very hot in the middle), having their arms broken trying to get out, and even a few cases of amputation of limbs due to damage caused during the breaking of the plaster. If she'd gone through with her plan she'd have had 20 kids all weighed down by a bucket of hard plaster.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
One of my favourite's so far today:

"2018 best PVC > 2010 best metal."

Logic and experience fail me with that one, and most people on this forum have  access to a lot more of both of those than me.

mmmmm...... then I read the FAQ...

I don't think it will quite 'unfund' but its going to be very very  close.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:40 PM »
More losses all morning, and one of the 990 euros pledges has pulled out

There's a big thread over at the reaper forum saying pretty much the same stuff as here. One poster commented

Apparently, Sans-Detour is the company running the kickstarter, and they're planning on using Ludik for the fulfillment. Ludik is causing concerns because it is apparently having financial issues.   Now it's revealed that there is a third company in the mix, owned by the same people.

Hopefully it is just incomptence rather than badness and things will work out, but if I was a backer it would be a long nervous wait for Nov 2019...

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Their latest update is amazing... "We can deliver this project for just 300k euro, honest guv!"...

As a matter of fact, we own the original miniatures allowing the manufacturing of the molds. Therefore, you pay neither for the engraving nor for the fabrication of masters! All these reasons make this project very much atypical.

So don't be surprised by the gap in prices in comparison with other projects, or by the generosity of this offer. Confrontation Classic is one of a kind.