Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689740
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th  (Read 58399 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »
Well, glad I dodged that bullet... :)
Leadhead

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #301 on: December 15, 2018, 07:52:54 PM »
I still wonder about all of the people defending the project. Unlike Upfront which was previewing art and cards these fellows effectively showed nothing.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2018, 10:20:22 PM »
I’m a big fan of Confrontation, but I didn’t get a good impression from the KS since the beginning. Thank the gods I didn’t back it (being semi-broke all the time helps)

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2018, 01:08:33 AM »
Ok, thank you. Was wondering because 3 of the people in my game group joined the kickstarter but don't keep track of miniature related things. (they all played 17 years ago). Luckily I only pledged for the resin undead guys because I already have all the models I wanted in metal. I was hoping this was a way to get my board game group back into miniatures, but might have the opposite effect.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2018, 06:01:23 AM »
Comments currently appear overall civil, with few, if any, posts by those defending SD.

Yslaire posted this comment, translated from French, about Ludik eight months ago:

Yslaire
4 days ago

There is indeed no evidence of non-payment of suppliers - only of Chaosium that one could qualify as entitled. Now the final troubles of Ludik took place during the KS (summer-autumn 2018) and not 10 years ago: https://www.black-book-editions.fr/forums.php?a=last&topic_id=10111.

I really invite you to read this to better understand the links that exist between these distinct societies but whose managers (and addresses) are very related: http://necrophiludique.blogspot.com/2018/12/confrontation-sans-detour -The return-de.html? m = 1

Again this does not indicate any wrongdoing but it is time to look at facts that are essentially verifiable. Yes it remains Adventures, yes it remains Confrontation, but Cthhulhu alone had to easily weigh 50% of the turnover of Sans Détour. Few companies could absorb such a loss. We wish them the announcement of Chaosium is only a warning shot or they are very strong legally / financially.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #305 on: December 16, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »
The comments on the Ulule (French KS site) for the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign are interesting.

Sans Detour has quoted from the public notice Chaosium put out about the loss of the CoC licence but in "translation" all reference to breach of contract and 2 years unpaid royalties/licence fees has gone missing,  thus making it read like SD are the victims.

Whether the backers of that campaign will get their books (now a year overdue) is uncertain and SD have not made any response to the questions being raised about the statement.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #306 on: January 01, 2019, 01:54:03 AM »
The natives are getting restless, so Collaborateur Sylvain Couture posted six days ago:

SD sera de retour de vacances en janvier 2019. / SD will be back from vacation in January 2019.

When was the last time these guys weren't on vacation? lol

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #307 on: January 01, 2019, 03:28:43 AM »
Some tidbits from the French Infiniti forum, translated to English:
http://www.bureau-aegis.org/forum/index.php?topic=13765.20

* (Regarding the Chaosium statement) It seems that among the employees all this did not know and that they learned the news by the release of Chaosium ....
* (The liquidation of stock) the liquidator in question is one of his friends who still works with him
* SD says, on its FB page, "Other unfounded comments were made against Ammirati, who is not an employee of the company."

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #308 on: January 01, 2019, 03:33:15 AM »
Culling from the Confrontation KS comments...

Here's another statement, from Chaosium, released December 23rd.

We are taking this unilateral step to at least enable Éditions Sans-Détour to fulfil obligations to their Masks of Nyarlathotep/Day of the Beast Ulule.com backers:

Chaosium will unilaterally grant a license to Éditions Sans-Détour to fulfill the 2017 Ulule.com crowdfunding campaign. We do that despite our concerns that we will never see a cent of the not insubstantial royalties owed by ESD, by ESD’s repeated acts of bad faith, for their serious breach of contract, and copyright and trademark violations. We do that because we don’t want the fans to get punished for someone else’s deeds.

This license DOES NOT permit Éditions Sans-Détour to sell Masks of Nyarlathotep/Day of the Beast to game stores, distributors, or online. It ONLY allows ESD to fulfill the Ulule crowdfunding campaign to existing backers and nothing more. Nor does it waive ESD of its obligation to pay Chaosium the royalties owed. Chaosium reserves all rights to seek legal relief against ESD as specified under its (now-lapsed) contract with ESD.

We’ve tried to work with ESD to move past what is obviously a difficult period in their company’s finances, but not only have we not received any royalty payments for books sold since the end of 2016 - we haven’t even received sales data upon which royalties could be estimated. Our requests for this information have been ignored.

SD's response to Adventure RPG's statement.
https://fr.ulule.com/aventures-le-jeu/news/communique-201354/

And Adventure's response.

I have read the latest press release from the publisher SANS-DÉTOUR,

which does not hesitate to charge me with the project's" freeze ", to report information that could be covered by the confidentiality of the exchanges, and clearly defamatory, so I intend to assert my right of reply

here, which will be brief and very clear:

without payment of royalties since the fundraiser and after months to question my editor on this subject, I was forced to bring in my legal adviser, without any more success.

In addition, in the face of persistent silence, and in the absence of factual information on the fundraising, I could only take note of the suspension of the contract. SANS-DETOUR has been duly informed beforehand and repeatedly, as it should, by official means. To my great regret, the discussion is interrupted today. The expected answer to these questions belongs to SANS-DETOUR.

As for the allegations of SANS-DETOUR with regard to my rights as author, I leave it to the "legal" to take care of it. The termination of the project does not in any way result in the production of any license agreement.

This situation is a real heartbreak for me, the AVENTURES project being one of the most motivating and exciting of my career. If out of respect for the community invested in this project, informing is essential, this information must respect certain principles. "

Source: http : //urlz.fr/8rRb

EDIT: Also found this discussion about Chaosium and Aventures' statements on a French gaming forum.

Eloniel says that, within the last two years, SD pulled in a fair amount of money from crowdfunding, yet did not pay royalties. :
"More seriously it is abuse, they have the biggest crowfunding of the French jdr both in amount and number of subscribers (Adventure) and they manage to not pay the royalties. It's pure theft. I advise the backers to meet to file a complaint for fraud in case you do not receive your pledge. It's too easy to cash, not to pay royalties and file for bankruptcy to put a box behind."

https://www.black-book-editions.fr/forums.php?topic_id=12066&nbp=3&nop=0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:30:57 PM by ced1106 »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #309 on: January 01, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
Only one way this is going to end. 
Sadly not likely to be with the crooks behind this scam in prison for fraud though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/996665814/confrontation-classic-the-legendary-skirmish-game/comments
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:44:16 PM by robh »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2019, 12:17:18 AM »
The half-bothered disinformation campaign appears to be working... lol

Quote from: Isaac Alexander
That’s a nice little trick that Chaosium pulled; by giving SD a license extension to fulfill their Ulele campaign, They keep their good name intact while keeping SD from making any profit by selling more copies after (if) they fulfill the ulele orders. The Call of Cthulhu translations were their main revenue stream, wasn’t it? Why would they let the license lapse?
Quote from: CaitSidhe
They didn't let the licence lapse, Chaosium never renewed it because SD haven't paid them royalties in 2 years, how did you miss that part of the story? They also didn't pay any royalties due to the Aventures guy hence the termination of that project. It seems they're not good at paying their dues in general...

Sans Detour should've focused on the Cadwe army in metal, since they're compatible with almost every other faction IIRC, and possibly a styrene multi-part Cadwallon militia box, as based on the metal versions, these are compatible with a variety of other games and shorn of symbols, 14th/15th Century HYW infantry. Based on sales, subsequent campaigns could cover one or two other factions at a time. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but PVC doesn't have the same appeal for me...

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
The half-bothered disinformation campaign appears to be working... lol

Sans Detour should've focused on the Cadwe army in metal, since they're compatible with almost every other faction IIRC, and possibly a styrene multi-part Cadwallon militia box, as based on the metal versions, these are compatible with a variety of other games and shorn of symbols, 14th/15th Century HYW infantry. Based on sales, subsequent campaigns could cover one or two other factions at a time. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but PVC doesn't have the same appeal for me...

Hah, I don't normally post dickish responses online but that guy had to have been intentional, you couldn't find out they lost the licence without seeing why...

They could have done all that stuff you said but I'm sure it's pretty clear they have no intention of actually producing stuff they were just hoping to pull in a massive pay day to cover their outstanding debts.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »
It's in French, but here's a blog that's been keeping track of SD and has a good summary.
http://necrophiludique.blogspot.com/2018/12/confrontation-sans-detour-le-retour-de.html?m=1

Something it adds to this thread is Christophe Ammirati. SD said CA is not an employee -- until you look at a screenshot of the SD site that shows he is, as the Finance Director.

Christophe Ammirati:

If someone holds the keys to the financial mystery, this is this guy.

Unless there is a recent change; he is the financial director of Sans Détour. (his Linkedin profile does not mention this responsibility, but the site of Sans Détour yes).

So it is this man who should have signed checks to Chaosium, who also could have provided a sales statement for Chaosium.

But he is also a leader of Stellar Licensing and Consulting , the owner of Hong Kong-based Confrontation's intellectual property, and therefore, head of the company that needs to earn royalties for the Confrontation Classic's Kickstarter and the possible future Confrontation Resurrection.
The "team" page of Stellar Licensing unfortunately returns to an error 404: impossible to confirm it there, but on Linkedin it is clear.

Honestly, I would not want to be in the shoes of a man who may find himself in a position to choose between paying royalties to Chaosium and paying a return on investment for the Confrontation license (which must have been quite expensive).

Here again do not necessarily see malice. I believe there are strong business and friendship ties between these two men and that they seek to get out of trouble in one way or another rather than voluntarily shutting down the world. Only when you play the tightrope, the slightest accident of course can be fatal.

Another proof of this proximity, the company Way of Gamers / Smart Trading Limited, located at the same address as the warehouses of Sans Détour also belongs to Mr. Ammirati.Stock liquid  that looks very much like that of Ludikbazar ...

While formerly Way of Gamers was known only for a site of collaborative work and crowdfunding for creators geeks to the uncertain success ( 1 only unfunded project ).

It is these appearances of conflicts of interest, combined with a certain amateurism, and the news of Chaosium leaving a doubt about the finances of Sans Détour that lend at this moment to all possible theories in the absence of answers to these questions :

-What was the actual financial situation of Sans Detour when launching the kickstarter of Confrontation Classic?
- If the little hands and the project manager were probably unaware of it: who knew about the dealings with Chaosium regarding the royalties?
- Has Stellar Licensing received her royalties?
- What exact role does Christophe Ammirati and his companies play in the partnership, what are the interests of each other?
- Will the current finances of Sans Détour and its concerns of rights allow you to deliver The Masks, and, while having lost this cash cow, especially, in the long term, to deliver the KS Confrontation Classic?
- Who will eventually take over the resin casts of Confrontation? Who is in charge of standard plastic production?
- Where is the production planning of the big figurines?

http://necrophiludique.blogspot.com/2018/12/confrontation-sans-detour-le-retour-de.html?m=1

Way of Gamers looks to be a French crowdfunding site, although I don't see any projects there at the moment?
https://www.wayofgamers.fr/qui-sommes-nous

MOB (Michael O'Brien, Head of Licensing and VP) of Chaosium posted more regarding their statements about SD on a Chaosium thread:

Ludikbay declared bankruptcy; at this point I don't think ESD has though. But as Sandy says, it was not our desire to end the partnership with ESD, but we ended up having no choice. We had previously regarded ESD as a valued and trusted partner, but then they simply stopped paying us, or even answering our emails, or coming up with excuses when they did.

ESD never finalised the rights to Masks of Nyarlathotep/Day of the Beast. The rights were contingent on ESD paying the standard license fee that was agreed to in the contract with Chaosium. This payment was supposed to made within 10 days of receiving the crowdsourcing funds from Ulule. But ESD never paid up*. Chaosium served notice on ESD to rectify this, but they persisted in ignoring us (nor pay any of the outstanding royalties owed for more than two years). Hence, the termination of ESD's permission to use our trademarks, logos and all related intellectual property, including Masks of Nyarlathotep/Day of the Beast.

Because this put the Ulule backers in a unfortunate situation, having pledged funds to a project that the company producing it never properly secured the rights to, we came up with the unilateral solution posted here. This is despite Chaosium ourselves still not receiving a cent from ESD from the Ulule campaign (and ESD's total liabilities to Chaosium exceeding well in excess of €100K). We took this course of action because we don’t want French CoC fans to get punished for someone else’s deeds.

We will be announcing the new French licensee shortly.

*obviously, if at the time we were aware of that ESD were going to do this, we wouldn't have given them the green light to use our IP and trademarks in the Ulule crowdfunding campaign. But in early 2017 we still regarded ESD as a valued and trusted partner.

https://www.yog-sothoth.com/index.html/news/sans-detour-stripped-of-call-of-cthulhu-licence/

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:43:40 AM by ced1106 »

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:27 AM »
Translation of a post on the French Black Book Editions forum. :

Laurendi
Author Info
3 weeks ago
gentlemen,

Perhaps you should consult the previous balance sheets of the company?

The latest figures available are not recent. On the data provided, we are very far from a company that rolls on gold: 46690 € Net Profit in 2014. This is not what is called a solid company.

For the rest, concerning the ability of Chaosium to intervene to prevent a publication ... must be lucid: I do not see what they could do immediately. It is not a French entity. The rights are different. It is already difficult to recover an unpaid balance between French companies, then with an American company and the legal costs related to an action ... in short, I can not see Chaosium launched a lawsuit which will cost him a fortune and which guarantees him not to recover his bet. On the other hand, it is a good reason to break a contract with a partner who disavows it.

Finally, in case of scam, know that it is the state that is considered as high priority by the financial agent. So if judicial liquidation there is, the first ones to be used are the agent and the State. Then the rights holders cheated. In other words, you will have nothing.

Ultraviolet also has some comments about their accounting in 2017 in this thread.
https://www.verif.com/bilans-gratuits/SANS-DETOUR-504290206/

Also, SD owes Petersen Games "six figures" of Cthulhu Wars not distributed, or something to that effect.
https://www.black-book-editions.fr/forums.php?topic_id=12066&nbp=91&nop=23
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:58:51 PM by ced1106 »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
Well I did back this... I think anyone who has looked at my thread has noticed i'm a big fan of Rackham... so I pretty much had to back this even though I was not a fan of SD and how they ran the campaign... AT ALL... i still sucked it up and pledged.... i figured it would work out... i've been in over 30 kickstarters and they have all delivered (or are going to based on constant weekly updates showing progress and enthusiasm)... some a bit late, but they are all very well run and good communication from the creator... I have to admit, I don't think I get this one... there is too much shady crap going on. I have pretty much written it off as a loss... if it ever does deliver it'll be a nice shock, but i'm not planning on it. Such a shame. You couldn't have a more incompetent group of people running a kickstarter. I've learned my lesson and if they look off from the start i'm not going to assume that they will right it later! 
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co