Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th  (Read 58817 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th
« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2019, 08:37:24 AM »
Wow

Disappointment in getting metal - well. That's unexpected.

Surprised they did not partner with Cadwallon, they have a lot of existing experience with casting their miniatures.

That aside, although I am surprised they are casting anything not resin pledge, it does of course make sense going back to the original material, and avoiding having to actually go through re-doing them all for plastic...

Here's to hoping the backers get their stuff, even with the disappointment of the material chosen for casting.

The world changes - people preferring plastic over metal...

amazed.

I just wonder if they are trying to find something to be disappointed about now that they might actually get something?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2019, 08:44:14 AM »
That update doesn't surprise me at all. I never saw them cast all those miniatures in plastic, they were sculpted for metal and AFAIK you can't just switch to plastic without doing tons of work on them.
And let's say 1500 people pledged for the big box...that was supposed to be a box filled with plastic, now with metal. And shipping prices are only increasing...how the heck are they going to pay for that increase? That box will weigh a ton!
But still, it's good to see progress for the backers!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
Glad I didn't pledge but the fact it is in metal now would have been more of an incentive. Still glad I dodged that one though.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #348 on: June 06, 2019, 10:19:47 AM »
Yeah this will be interesting, on the one hand metal was what they should have done in the first place and might mean the return of some classic minis. However it's going to be super expensive especially shipping boxes of 250+ minis cast in metal and while metal moulds are gonna cost way less than the planned plastic moulds, the pictures they posted show them using one mould per miniature?

There seems to be an insane amount of people on the project unhappy with metal... as opposed to soft detailed PVC casts... Even the best PVC minis (and there are fantastic ones these days) are gonna be a bit less detailed than metal due to the softening of detail.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
If they went for the metal right away I'd rolled the bones and backed it for sure... Man, what we all knew from the start, a 1 one 1 translation frome metal into plastic isn't viable took them about, how long, 16 months to realise?
We'll see where it goes, but surprised to see they still are trying to deliver. As is Heroquest 25th, so it seems  ;).
Leadhead

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #350 on: June 06, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
I bet they are going to wish they had not lost, sold and gifted the original masters now. Going to end up making new master casts from existing stock castings.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #351 on: June 06, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
If they went for the metal right away I'd rolled the bones and backed it for sure... Man, what we all knew from the start, a 1 one 1 translation frome metal into plastic isn't viable took them about, how long, 16 months to realise?
We'll see where it goes, but surprised to see they still are trying to deliver. As is Heroquest 25th, so it seems  ;).
Oh, I'd better go check HQ 25th, lol. Last update from what I remember was over a year ago now.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #352 on: June 06, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
I bet they are going to wish they had not lost, sold and gifted the original masters now. Going to end up making new master casts from existing stock castings.

To be fair the masters I saw for sale were the much older minis from 1st Ed and not the more popular ones. Still they seem to putting a single mini per mould and have 16 copies of Khanir the Savage in one so that's a hell of a lot of master castings required.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #353 on: June 06, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »

They still have most of the original masters and most of the green master molds from Rackham for the minis they are offering... I've seen them. Of the original masters they are missing, they have the masters from the original "master set" cast off the master sculpt that rackham used to make production molds... so the quality should be the exact same except the minis will be a bit lighter as they will be using lead free white metal. Rackham had some lead in their minis. I'm with the other poster in regards to shipping though... i weighed a mix of 15 rackham minis and it came out at 3 lbs... so simple math says that 250 minis would weigh 50 - 60 lbs.... that's HEAVY... and shipping to backers in south america and Australia could end up costing as much as the pledge. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:21:04 PM by gibby64 »
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #354 on: June 06, 2019, 05:03:05 PM »
From the lack of them supplying examples from the very start of plastic versions, it always screamed "not happening"

As better informed persons have mentioned and they clearly indicated they have access to masters.

Expect it to arrive to backers about the same time Heroquest 25th backers get their stuff..

regardless of the plastic love, i reckon they would have got a lot more money if they had done metal/resin options from the start.

They might even have had enough interest to then offer plastic options..

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #355 on: June 06, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
This KS reminds me of Wheel of Fortune: just pay in order to spin the big wheel around and see what you'll get, ranging from nothing via plastic unto metal and /or resin , or maybe nothing at all amd maybe increased shipping costs but maybe not  ;D.
Just wondering if they've got the cash in order to refill it ( + P&P ) or need a 2nd KS in order to fill in the hole this KS left...
If I were them I'd seriously consider launching a quick one where people can back seperate factions, of course for metal prices but still... The moulds are being made, why not make more money from a few extra spins?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #356 on: June 06, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »
Well, that’s unexpected. I recently have sorted through my immense Confrontation collection (and sorry @Gibby for never answering you back, but the baby and work needs all my time atm), and it’s still amazing how well these sculpts stand next to ultramodern ones.

On the one hand, I would certainly have backed the KS if it had been metal...but then I had wanted ALL metals back and the option to buy my choice and not a random collection of stuff I don’t want.

On the other hand...the postage will be crazy! They cannot hope to send metal models for the same price as plastics. That’s insane! If they manage to produce the models it already comes to strange math: how cheap do they expect to cast multi part metal models? 0,50€ per model maybe...that sounds unrealistic, but maybe they manage...but then postage might cost several times what they estimated!

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
Well they've reopened the pledge manager so you too can get your big box of metal for the low low price of 500 euro,  but act fast this offer is only available till the end of July when the price will increase to 600 euro!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2019, 03:12:04 PM »
Well they've reopened the pledge manager so you too can get your big box of metal for the low low price of 500 euro,  but act fast this offer is only available till the end of July when the price will increase to 600 euro!

Surely that's just the postage? :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »
For someone wanting to take the plunge into collecting Rackham, 500 euro isn't bad at all for metal... that's less then 2 euro per model... l've paid WAY more off ebay for some models...