Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Calvary!!!  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
The Calvary!!!
« on: April 28, 2018, 03:24:16 AM »
Was in the Occifer's Mess yesterday afternoon and the inevitable horse racing was on the gogglebox. Not being a gambler it doesn't do much for me apart from looking at the horses as a reference for painting wargames figures!
One thing did catch my eye and make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. About twenty horses, on the left side of the track, were thundering straight toward the camera on what looked like a dead flat straight, slowly they disappeared into a dip in the ground that you'd have sworn wasn't there. Several seconds later a head, several heads, then a charge of twenty horsemen appeared, hard right of the track! they were so far to the right they'd even caught the cameraman out, he had to do a quick pan right to pick up the action.
Several pints later the awful import of what I'd just casually observed sank in. I thought of blokes like Ompteda advancing in line, not a Curryasar to be seen. The penny dropped just how easy it would be to get taken and killed by the 'Calvary'!!!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Calvary!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:11 AM »
Interesting observation Harry !
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
:? Sad really, innit!!!???  :?

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 09:41:01 AM »

Online Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
Interesting observation. It’s one of those moments when you think “ if I hadn’t of seen that , i,d never have believed it “ .  Brings to mind reports from the Colonial period of Zulus / Fuzzies concealed by folds in the ground . The MWWBK’s rules handle this really well in their AI ( Babbage ) part of their rules when an enemy can appear dramatically in your flanks or rear . A friend and I played a memorable game last year when we both took a British company each  , in Africa , and attempted to scout across a river against the AI .  Although these rules have their shortcomings, I think the AI section works really well .

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
The MWWBK’s rules handle this really well in their AI ( Babbage ) part of their rules when an enemy can appear dramatically in your flanks or rear . A friend and I played a memorable game last year when we both took a British company each  , in Africa , and attempted to scout across a river against the AI .  Although these rules have their shortcomings, I think the AI section works really well .

So those rules actually can be played solo? That might be the motivation for me to get them (I am not fond of the other titles in the Rampant family, but solo gaming has become an issue for me, lately, as it becomes increasingly difficult to coordinate gaming time with friends, because of families, work, transportation times, etc.).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 09:52:59 PM »
MWWBK are a nice set of rules. We have used Mr Babage (the system for solo gaming) in 'Pony War' style games, i.e. players
against the 'system'. It does (almost) absolve the umpire (me) from deliberate bias.

Your post Harry has nudged a memory I thought you might be interested in.
Many, many years ago a friend told me about the origin of point-to-point horse races. Bored English officers in the Peninsular,
would mark two points on the map. The race had to be literally along that line. Bemused Spanish peasants would hear thumping
on their roof, upon going outside they would be met with the sight of an English officer, assisted by several servants/troopers
trying to drag a reluctant horse over the low roof of the hovel.  I can see you doing this as a participation game, complete
with silly/ bad puns for character's names.