Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A good set of American Civil War Rules?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: A good set of American Civil War Rules?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 10:28:35 PM »
Yus, I got a bunch of Longstreet games under my belt now. The rules play wonderfully fluently. That's the thing Sam Mustafa (the author of the rules) does - he manages to abstract period warfare in this very clever manner so that the games flow well, but you also got all the things you look for in the period, it 'feels right' and leads to historically plausible results. Highly recommended.

Does the game scale easily to 28mm figures?
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 03:23:49 AM »
Im probably using 10mm Pendraken or Kallistra.   I havent decide on Longstreet OR Fire & Fury Brigade yet.  Im still looking around at reviews and battle reports to see which would be easiest to pick up and learn quickly.  I dont want to be bogged down in details and modifiers.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
Longstreet- Is a fun game and what drives it is the narrative which is the career of the leader. It's not a simulation game and if your into representing historical battles this isn't the rules for that imho. Now it does have a lot of flavor and delves into the aspects of the period very nicely and if your looking for game to just make you feel like your in the period then this works great, but if your looking to simulate armies on the battlefield and/or re fighting actual engagements then I would look for other rule sets.

Fire and Fury all variants-  Great set of rules for fighting scenario's that has stood the test of time. It has several additional books crammed full of scenario's so will keep you busy for quite some time. Rules are pretty straight forward and games flow nicely, but does take some time to play at times. While it can be argued what is the best ACW rule set I think all in all F&F is probably the most played ACW rule set with a great deal of ACW players at least having tried it.

Black Powder- An all around period rule set that is easily the most flexible imho. You can tailor the rules to your collection and how you view the period should be played. The basic rules are very easy and games flow fast. You can change rules or bolt on your own without the rules falling apart. The ultimate toolbox rules that I've very much enjoyed for both my ACW and AWI gaming.

Field of Battle 2- Another all around period rule set that you may really like as it includes cards to decide actions. It gives a very fast playing dynamic gaming experience with plenty of surprises. If your looking for some unpredictability in your gaming then this set is well worth the try. It's a really fun game that deserves much more press then it currently gets. Wonderful!

Your are spoiled for choice in this period and there are a ton more rules out there, but I didn't mention more as I either haven't played them or didn't much care for them and instead just posted what I currently play. Good luck!

Christopher
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:51:41 PM by Axebreaker »

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
Thank you Axebreaker.  I'll take a look at Field of Battle.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:29:56 PM by Bloodaxe »

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
Does the game scale easily to 28mm figures?

Yup, We play in 28mm, works like a charm. 

@Bloodaxe: 10mm is one of the wisest choices you can make.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
We've played some historical scenarios using Longstreet, and it worked very well.
So although the game may look like it's designed for the campaign rules, it works well for historical refights too.
You can adjust the cards each side has to allow for historical events or not allow ones you don't want.
It works fine with 28mm

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 06:19:51 PM »
Yup, We play in 28mm, works like a charm. 

@Bloodaxe: 10mm is one of the wisest choices you can make.

Thanks!  10mm will get the "mass battle " effect I'm looking for.  I think I'm going with Pendraken 10mm.  They have a complete range, even casualties.