Forum > Age of the Big Battalions

A good set of American Civil War Rules?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bloodaxe:

--- Quote from: Jabba on April 25, 2018, 01:33:00 PM ---Another vote for Brigade F&F here. Currently play using 15mm, have had some great games.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I'm probably going to pick it up. I'm looking at reviews and trying to find some battle reports.   I might go smaller scale, 10mm or 6mm so I can paint faster. 

Battle Brush Sigur:
I've heard much good about Altar of Freedom. I've got Pickett's Charge lying around and it looks very good; haven't tried it yet. At this point I'm rather sure that Longstreet is my favourite set of ACW rules.

Bloodaxe:

--- Quote from: Battle Brush Sigur on April 26, 2018, 12:22:49 AM ---I've heard much good about Altar of Freedom. I've got Pickett's Charge lying around and it looks very good; haven't tried it yet. At this point I'm rather sure that Longstreet is my favourite set of ACW rules.

--- End quote ---

Have you played a few games of Longstreet?   How were the rules? I'm lookin ng for something that is relatively simple and easy to pick up & learn quickly.

Battle Brush Sigur:
Yus, I got a bunch of Longstreet games under my belt now. The rules play wonderfully fluently. That's the thing Sam Mustafa (the author of the rules) does - he manages to abstract period warfare in this very clever manner so that the games flow well, but you also got all the things you look for in the period, it 'feels right' and leads to historically plausible results. Highly recommended. The cards system adds a very nice 'poker element' to the whole thing and adds period flavour. Just had a game two weeks ago at our Gettysburg Gaming Day here in Vienna:

https://www.battlebrushstudios.com/2018/04/show-report-gettysburg-gaming-day.html

Also comes with a very clever little campaign system.

Bloodaxe:
Maybe Longstreet is what I'm looking for.  I'm a big fan of Battle Cry.  I like the card element. So maybe I'm looking for something along those lines. A slightly more in depth Battle Cry. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version