Forum > Medieval Adventures

SAGA - Byzantines

<< < (2/5) > >>

Captain Harlock:
Its good to see some (eastern) Romans. A fine start. I noticed that V&V miniatures started producing some excellent resin minis for infantry and Varangian Guard.
http://vminiatures.com/28-mm/byzantium/

About the buildings. It depends from the region but for the general feel, it wouldnt be far away from the traditional Greek and southern italian style. Basically a mix of Greek and Roman architecture. Here is an article (in Greek) that has some mosaices depicting houses.
http://www.diakonima.gr/2013/08/09/%CE%B7-%CF%80%CF%8C%CE%BB%CE%B7-%CF%83%CF%84%CE%BF-%CE%B2%CF%85%CE%B6%CE%AC%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BF-%CE%BF%CE%B9-%CE%BF%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AF%CE%B5%CF%82/

You should definatelly check locations like Mystras, here is a video of the paleologian palace

Monemvasia

You can also take some ideas from byzantine monasteries like those of mount Athos.

Ogrob:
Love the watchtower!

Hu Rhu:
Nice painting on those Byzantne minis.  :-*

AngusH:

--- Quote from: killshot on May 13, 2018, 02:20:37 PM ---Nice start to the project. You could try Crusader Miniatures’ line of Byzantines since you aren’t a big fan of GB.  Their Viking and Normans are great figures.

--- End quote ---

I grabbed some Varangians and some slinger levies from Crusader and I agree - really nice minis. A touch smaller than the GB to my eye, but when based they look close enough.

--- Quote from: Captain Harlock on May 13, 2018, 02:21:42 PM ---Its good to see some (eastern) Romans. A fine start. I noticed that V&V miniatures started producing some excellent resin minis for infantry and Varangian Guard.
http://vminiatures.com/28-mm/byzantium/

***snipped lots of great stuff on Byzantine architecture***

--- End quote ---

Oh man I wish I'd seen these V&V Varangian guard. It's been years since I've seen it, but I believe they are an exact match for one of the Angus McBride illustrations from one of the Osprey Byzantine books that got me interested in Byzantium in the first place.

Thanks also for the links to the Byzantium architecture, really interesting stuff!

--- Quote from: Ogrob on May 13, 2018, 03:24:33 PM ---Love the watchtower!

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Not happy with how orange it is, but my airbrush died on me and I had to make do with the cheap craft paints I had on hand!

--- Quote from: Hu Rhu on May 13, 2018, 05:09:59 PM ---Nice painting on those Byzantne minis.  :-*

--- End quote ---

Thanks mate! I won't win any painting competitions but I spent more time on these guys than I normally do.

AngusH:
I had a game versus my buddy's Anglo-Saxons tonight and I wanted to test out the Warbanner mechanic although I only got my mini in the mail this morning... so I had to improvise a little bit. I think I captured the general Byzantine aesthetic however:

Alas, the game did not go so well. It was our first 6pt battle, and it really came down to the 4th turn where I had a horror roll on a decisive charge by my mounted hearthguard, and then also had a horror defensive roll with a key unit on my opponent's turn that really sealed the battle. I'm starting to get the hang of it though, as all my other games have been fairly one-sided losses prior to this. I think the Last Roman board is a bit underwhelming, but most of the blame lies with me I'd say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version