Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Cmon Lovecraftian game, 'Death May Die'  (Read 12620 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Cmon Lovecraftian game, 'Death May Die'
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 03:57:54 AM »
They're making babies smaller and smaller these days I see.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
Well, I swore off Kickstarter a couple years ago (but am still happy I went all in on all three seasons of the original Zombicide) and closed my account but looks like I'll have to open a new one for this. At 59 all I collect these days are Lovecraft and Mythos stuff, bought my first "Tales of the" in 69 and started my Mythos miniature collection with the Grenadier models. Purged most of my miniature collection to scenery and Mythos models and only play Strange Aeons. Books are around 300 now and occupy a couple bookcases. Don't see how I can pass this one up.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 10:50:06 PM »
DMD convention rules explanation with Eric Lang! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8EneFrmhFY

First impressions from a demo. : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2022012/played-full-scenario-dice-tower-con

"Full disclosure: Rob's my partner in Restoration Games.

OTOH, that did let me get a chance to play a full scenario while I was at Dice Tower Con. The cultists had set the University on fire as part of their ritual. Me and two other adventurers, managed to keep the fire under control, destroy the implements of their ritual, save a few students, and -- yes -- I got to shoot Cthulhu in the face. Literally. I had the pistol.

I really, really liked it. By way of background, I was only so-so on Others. And, while I appreciate Zombicide, I never went in whole hog on it because I was worried about replayability.

But this game just nailed the sweet spot for me. The story elements where very much front and center without detracting from the combat. There were both strategic and tactical choices. For me, the weight there was just right. They were meaningful but not critical. Do you take the items to help you fight the fires or the axe to help you fight the monsters? Combat was quick and simple. Again, just enough choices to make it interesting without bogging things down.

But my favorite thing was the character advancement. It played briskly, about 90 minutes. The character ramp-up was smooth and fun. It's very cinematic. As you lose sanity, you get more desperate and your abilities improve. But Cthulhu ramps up too. You basically have to beat him in stages, and after you defeat a stage, he gets stronger. So, at the very end, characters are going out in a blaze of glory, and it can come down to one last desperate shot, but you've got everything maxed out, and you're rolling a ton of dice.

You can see both Eric's continued refinement of this type of game and Rob's influence in the narrative and elegance of how stuff fits together. Can't wait for this one.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »
Well.... Was interested...
Sworn off kickstarter...
Maybe give it a try
Cheking ks.. No chance getting the big one
Big rant on comments....
Not interested anymore.... Great show

Cultist#83

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 08:01:24 PM »
Cheking ks.. No chance getting the big one
Big rant on comments....

You do realise they're adding more batches with later delivery? At the time of writing, Apr 2020 is up and not very limited. The price hasn't increased from $250 either.

The exploding comment section is kinda hilarious. :)

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »
Yes have seen it.
But it just makes me remeber why i wasnt interested in Kickstarter anymore.....
Wish eveeybody a good campaing.... Im out

(by the way.... Exept beeing really big.... Im not sure whether its a good cthulhu version... Very small head.....)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:19:10 PM by harleyface »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 11:24:57 PM »
Yes have seen it.
But it just makes me remeber why i wasnt interested in Kickstarter anymore.....
Wish eveeybody a good campaing.... Im out

(by the way.... Exept beeing really big.... Im not sure whether its a good cthulhu version... Very small head.....)
More power to you.  This is really no different than a preorder at this point.  Especially with regards to CMoN.  Proven track record on quality and delivery.

Personally, I'd rather they roll them out this way than put the early date for everyone and then have them be late.  And I was only able to snag an April 2020 slot...

The base game appears to be shipping at the same time as everyone else.  It seems just the big Cthulhu and associated stuff will be later.

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 07:14:06 AM »
I feel dissapointed by this KS (or rather preorder). The basic goal of the game is very unlovecraftian - the author claims it's all about shooting Ctulhu in face...

Some monsters look great but others not. The deep ones just don't fit the description. Investigators seem to me mostly boring (men/women standing with a pistol) and the guns are awfully oversized.

I am afraid my plan to get some great HPL figures for other games has failed  :'(

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
The title keeps making me think of a Bond film  "Death May Die"

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 12:55:57 PM »
Totally unimpressed with this game. Seen the gameplay video ( the whole hour+ ) and it lacks a clear direction. Just walk in the fire, extinguish the fire, fail, reroll, reroll some more, get stressed for another reroll, o, wait, I'm totally stressed out now so I get.... another reroll. Don't like the loose board tiles, the models are ok-ish to good but I'm quite underwhelmed with the amount of big monsters in the basic game. The stretch goals are really unspiring, a few cultists and loads of investigators.... Boooring.
And I won't mention their messing-up with the final episode, the big guy himself. Yeah, it's the closing of the adventure but we've only planned 250 copies. And no, we haven't thought about releasing the chapter as an add-on but without the big guy. Thank you guys for suggesting that in the comments.
Utter shyte, this KS. CMON should know much, much better...
Leadhead

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
Are you folks even looking at the KS or just picking up stuff from forum comments?

There wasn't a cap of 250 for the big Cthulhu. Ever. They just tiered it out so their production could keep up. They also said in the latest update that the number of pledges for it will allow them to run multiple molds at once and produce more at a much faster pace.

The giant Cthulhu IS the board for the final episode so of course there was never a plan for selling the other components separately. Because of requests they are now considering making a tile to go with this stuff for folks that don't want Bigthulhu. Seems like a positive response to me.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
Limited is limited. Only when it backfired in their face they opened more and more pledges for the big guy. I was live following the 1st 45 minutes of the KS ( mainly because a friend really wanted the big guy and I at the time hadn't decided yet ) so I know what I'm talking about, regardless whatever CMON says afterwards. Damage control, I call it.
But feel free to think otherwise, it's not that a big deal, I'll skip this one  ;).

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »
Whatever man. The only truly limited thing about it was the price.

Your loss IMHO. I'm sure you can find one on eBay if you change your mind later.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
Not impressed by the gameplay. Rather was hoping for this one ( usually pretty positive about CMON-games, I own quite a few of them whilst eagerly awaiting an all-in Hate pledge  ) but all in all to me this one is a big disappointment.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »
I will watch the video but honestly I find the mega monster Cthulhu a bit silly. Where would you store it anyway...