Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tramp Steamer Part 1  (Read 4779 times)

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
Tramp Steamer Part 1
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
So, I decided to start a Tramp Steamer that can be used in VSF (Victorian Science Fiction), Pulp, and World War I & World War II table top games.

I'm using foam board core that I bought from Michaels.

The 1st step was to draw out a pattern from the bow to stern of how I wanted my tramp steamer to look.  The 2nd step was to lay the template on the foam board core, and stencil the template onto the foam core board.  The 3rd step was to cut out the pattern of the tramp steamer bottom where the beams of the ship goes.

In a hour or so, I had this done...

I stopped at this point, because I wasn't sure how to go at scribing the foam core board for the stern of the ship.  I didn't know how to bend the foam core board for the stern.  So, I asked Steve, and John about it and Steve helped me put the stern pieces on my tramp steamer.

The next step was to score 2 pieces that were 4" in length and 2" in height.
I used these 2 pieces to help bend 2 foam core board pieces with 1/4" scoring.
These 2 pieces with "L" for Left and "R" for Right go on the inside of the bottom piece and pinned down.

This took about an half hour...
This is how the Tramp Steamer looks:...

The next step was to make the beams going across the tramp steamer.  This took about a half hour.
The next picture is the beams going across ..

After talking to John what he thought about the doors, and portholes I decided to not cutt them out of the beams going acrosss because I wanted it to have no cutted holes in those pieces going across.  I will probably buy these pieces.

The next step was to again use my template to cut out the top so that the cabin, and cargo hold door can be put on top of this piece.  This took about 20 minutes. This is what it looks like...

Next, was the cabin that is suppose to have where the captain steers the tramp steamer from.  Making this cabin took about a half hour to 45 minutes.  This is what I came up with so far...

This is what I have done so far...

This is what I have done so far...

As of July 23, 2009 I have done this work on my tramp steamer.  I made changes to the cabin so that it is up higher!!!
I have spent a few hours a day to none.  I probably have put 70 to 80 hours into my tramp steamer so far...
I have used styrene sheets for the outside and inside of the boat's hull.
Here are some pictures in order since last time I shown where I was :

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:57:03 PM by BigMecha »
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Online Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tramp Steamer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
This should be interesting...

I love "build" threads!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
Looking good so far.
Are you intending to have an interior?

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
Looking good so far.

The interior will be actually where the beams cross the tramp steamer.  It is 2"  in height.  Enough for 28mm, but I want to use it with 20mm to 25mm sailors and weapons.
There will be cargo area, sleeping area, kitchen area, and engine area.

Anywhere I can find 25mm ship's steering wheel, cargo hold door, doors for steamer, gun replacement with guns, and other odd and end ship stuff.

thanks

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Nice job so far...that is on my "To Do List", which is not to be confused with my "Honey Do List" which always precludes my "To Do List"!! :(
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
Looking good so far.

The interior will be actually where the beams cross the tramp steamer.  It is 2"  in height.  Enough for 28mm, but I want to use it with 20mm to 25mm sailors and weapons.
There will be cargo area, sleeping area, kitchen area, and engine area.

Anywhere I can find 25mm ship's steering wheel, cargo hold door, doors for steamer, gun replacement with guns, and other odd and end ship stuff.

thanks

Reviresco. It is the shiz.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »
thanks Sinewgrab.  I will have to check to see what they have for ship's accessories.

I bought tonight (5/13/2009) some wood (like balsa) for the cargo door, and sticks for the ship's deck.
Bought some varnish, and the tools for cutting the wood.  Bought some dowels...

I didn't find any sewing pins though...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:53:53 AM by BigMecha »

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:49:45 AM »
Sinewgrab is absolutely right.  Reviresco is the company for all the metal parts to finish a tramp steamer.  Reviresco has several models of its own, and sells all the little bits you need for scratchbuilding. Here's the link:

http://www.tin-soldier.com/
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »
As this problem has vexed me in the past, what exactly was your process for bending the back rounded foamcore pieces?

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:59 PM »
As this problem has vexed me in the past, what exactly was your process for bending the back rounded foamcore pieces?

Joey

I used these 2 pieces to help bend 2 foam core board pieces with 1/4" scoring.
These 2 pieces with "L" for Left and "R" for Right go on the inside of the bottom piece and pinned down.

Does this answer your question?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:55:38 PM by BigMecha »