Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:44:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690932
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 699
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New BCW from Musketeer Mins  (Read 11664 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: New BCW from Musketeer Mins
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 08:49:28 PM »
Yep I am CONSTANTLY tripping over wierd and wonderful things in York!
The weather here is just terrific too! I suppose you'd know being from Scarborough ;)

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
When BCW entered the public domain, someone described it as the "Lebanon with lewis guns" as all factions are capable of fighting all other factions. The left is split, the BUF and Regulars are not happy allies etc. So some people don't see it purely in terms of left and right; there are Yorkists who support the monarchy, but want to see the Duke of York on the throne. All this gives opportunites for short term alliances and unusual allies. But generally see below;

"So if I have this right, and likenining this to the Spanish Civil War, one side of the third English (We prefer British as the Scots, Welsh and Irish are not English) Civil War would be BUFs, Black-and-Tans, and British Militia (headed by Toffs), the Household Brigade, the RAF, some TA, the Police, versus, on the other side, Workers Militia and IRA plus Anglicans, Yorkists, some TA and regular army, royal navy ratings, local defence forces.; yes?"

I think its plausibilty is one of its attractions; Mosley at least thought he would form a govt under Edward VIII and spent the rest of his life waiting for that call. Also, the unregulated nature of the idea, with no one set of rules or Codex telling you what you can and can't do, plus for us Brits, the chance to set the war in our own backyards, with quaint weaponary and uniforms.
"For we went, changing our country more often than our shoes.
In the class war, despairing
When there was only injustice and no resistance." B. Brecht

Offline Musketeer

• Scientist
    • Footsore Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
The Workers Militia packs are now available on our website  :)
Cheers

Bill

"I see lead people"

http://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »
I ordered 20 figs from Musketeer Miniatures and payed them wíth PayPal june 25. Today it´s september 25 and I still haven´t got them.

I send Bill and Hazel over ten mails and a letter but they never answer. =(

Mattias in Sweden.
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
Bill has moved to Manchester.

It took 3 weeks for them to connect his phone and he didn't have internet access from home yet (last I heard) he has almost finished setting up his business again.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 11:11:18 PM »
Bill has moved to Manchester.

It took 3 weeks for them to connect his phone and he didn't have internet access from home yet (last I heard) he has almost finished setting up his business again.

OK! Well, I hope he will send me the minis when his business is up again. I love his detailed figs.

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
Send him a PM, he might be able to browse the boards.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Yeah, that could be I god idea! Thanks!

Offline bob and his dog

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »
Actually, the critics (on Pulp Forum) said the concept is "awful" and not liked.  It was a defender who said it was merely "improbable".

I am new and just catching up so sorry if I am lagging too far behind. Does anyone interested in the VBCW care what the Pulp board thinks.  This episode is no more "pulp" than is the Spanish Civil War, or the IWI.  Pulp is about flamboyant detectives and flashy dames, and cults and space monsters, and adventurers tracking down mummies.  As far as I can see, VBCW is about battles among political factions in UK in the late 1938 over the control of the government. Alternative history like Harry Turtledove creating an alternative world in which to set battles.  Skirmish battles-- large and small.  Figures made for the Pulp genre are certainly useful for including in these skirmish games, but this is not pulp fiction gaming.
I am interested in land warfare throughout history and beyond, except the Seven Years War, in Europe.

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »
I am new and just catching up so sorry if I am lagging too far behind. Does anyone interested in the VBCW care what the Pulp board thinks.  This episode is no more "pulp" than is the Spanish Civil War, or the IWI.  Pulp is about flamboyant detectives and flashy dames, and cults and space monsters, and adventurers tracking down mummies.  As far as I can see, VBCW is about battles among political factions in UK in the late 1938 over the control of the government. Alternative history like Harry Turtledove creating an alternative world in which to set battles.  Skirmish battles-- large and small.  Figures made for the Pulp genre are certainly useful for including in these skirmish games, but this is not pulp fiction gaming.

You're so right.  Exactly the way I feel, BUT, since it is an "alternative setting", people can't be stopped if they want to include "true pulp" stuff, so it seems VBCW (as for now) is in a subcategory: "alternative 20C history".  Perhaps later followed by "Weird VBCW" (I hope not!!!  lol).

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

former user

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
one can also want to make a very sharp distinction.
Under such circumstances, "Pulp" would follow the original timeline and exaggerate minor details that would have been probable.
In that context, VBCW is alternative history since the timeline is altered.
The very notion of Pulp as I see it is that everything is contrasted to the extreme and there are no grey shades.
Following that concept, there could be alternative history Pulp and OTL Pulp, but always with a twist to RPG, thus allowing to exaggerate the actions of the main characters.

The problem with people being rather rigid about the historical context is that they always forget that wargaming is in fact "alternate history", otherwise You would simply set up the battle and unroll a preset action sequence.

Since everyone should game along their own taste and inclination, the only approach is to be tolerant of what others want to do. Minor alterations are better done with the appropriate sense of proportion (but this again is a very subjective matter).

Having allied agents running amok behind german lines in france might be acceptable, blowing up nazi leaders in a cinema might not.

Nazis trying to aquire archaeological artefacts might be acceptable, them doing this in Egypt and performing "ancient jewish" rituals might not.

As with everything, it is a matter of taste and acceptance.
Trying to "convince" other gamers that they are gaming "wrong", because historically inaccurate certainly does not align with the above stated approach (and is as by my personal view, grossely intrusive and anal retentive  ;))

all in all a rather dispensable discussion
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:27:24 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
I am quite curious as to how anyone interested in Pulp could consider this or any concept 'awful'. Could it be because Mosley hasn't got a secret island base and an army of trained gorillas to do his bidding? Or that he has yet to develop a 'death ray'? Pulp is a very broad heading in which you find extremes and improbabilities, whether they are based in reality or science fiction. I'll echo former users comments and put it down to one or two guys telling others they are 'doing it wrong'.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
I am quite curious as to how anyone interested in Pulp could consider this or any concept 'awful'. Could it be because Mosley hasn't got a secret island base and an army of trained gorillas to do his bidding? Or that he has yet to develop a 'death ray'? Pulp is a very broad heading in which you find extremes and improbabilities, whether they are based in reality or science fiction.

I totally agree with you.  I would also add that the BUF make excellent pulp baddies.
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 04:50:04 AM »
I totally agree with you.  I would also add that the BUF make excellent pulp baddies.

That's what I've considered them for. Generic troops of some regime more concerned with the spiffiness of the uniforms than the quality of the troops, or similar. The Presidential Guard of Lower Slobovian, or the smartly-attired troops of the Emir of Outer Blarghistan, say. ("A very forward-looking chap, the Emir. I'm sure we'll be able to do business with him, what!")

My interest in the actual '38 British Civil War is minimal, but I like the variety of figures coming out because of it!