Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100577 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: A Runequest rescue and restoration project
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
Bravo!

The shield is tremendous - and it's a nice way to create an 'all-purpose' Gloranthan fighter. The highlights on the bronze are amazing too.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Old Citadel FTF series Paladin
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
Or to be exact, he's FTF25 - Paladin on Quest, who later survived the chop to become a C-series fighter (I only know this because I asked clever people who were better at research than me). He's one of the oldest figures I own and to be honest, was a bit of a pig to paint because the armour has some seriously wonky lines and horrible 'dead' areas with lumps of metal just lurking about.

Still, he's scrubbed up well enough with a little work, and it's a really good pose, although his face is reminding me of the England rugby player Mike Tindall, for some reason. I decided since he was a Paladin, he wouldn't have dirt, damage or grime on him, which is unusual for me.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Old Citadel FTF series Paladin
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
He's splendid! Must be very recent or very early Tindall, given the relative straightness of the paladin's nose!

I like how those old Citadel figures were designed as adventurers, with loads of kit. Mind you, I don't think anyone would ever fight with a backpack on if they could help it; I'm enjoying annoying my RPG players by making them dump their stuff to fight without penalty, so that they can be separated from their ill-gotten gains.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
Lovely work! The contrast of the leather kit and the armour is very nicely done.

One of the best things about these early Citadel adventurers is the way that not only do they carry proper amounts of stuff about, but (like this guy) they look as if they've been doing it for a while and are wondering if they really need all those iron spikes and oil flasks &c &c that seemed like a good idea at the time...

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
Very nice line work. Love the shield.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
Brilliant painting.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
Amazing work on this ancient miniature.

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »
Amazing painting the matching scabbard and shield help give the model personality. The pose reminds me of the rumoured origin of saluting.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I may just merge my old Citadel nostalgia threads into one, to stop spamming the board with individual threads each time I do an Oldhammer model!

This Paladin guy perfectly represents the joy and frustration of the Oldhammer lover. The pose, the character, the proportions, the face, the wonderful individualism are just a joy. But the actual technical precision of the sculpt and the quality of the casting are something best left in the past. It was simply a way of life in the 80's to expect to spend a good half hour or so carving off the horrible casting lines and lumps of waste metal. Sometimes you were re-sculpting parts of the model because big parts were obscured by horrible lumps of lead.

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Great stuff

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »
Right, that's it, no more individual threads for my various Citadel nostalgia stuff, it's all going in the one thread now. Thanks to White Knight for the tidy merging, I've got my Runequest guys and the Paladin in here now and I'll just lob the rest in as they get done.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »
Cracking! You've gotta love the repeat pattern on the shield, sword and dagger sheafs! :-*

How do you get such a dirty set of armour? Do you start with silver and ink wash the cheap out of or the opposite, dark colours then drybrush silver?

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »
How do you get such a dirty set of armour? Do you start with silver and ink wash the cheap out of or the opposite, dark colours then drybrush silver?

I've got a nice colour mixed up I've called 'Oily Steel', which is a lovely smooth metal to which I've added a dark brown edge. It's not too shiny, kind of halfway between a metallic and non-metallic shade. This was the base colour over black undercoat, with highlights done in ordinary steel colour (painted on, not drybrushed). This was then given a good wash with brown ink, then the crevices deepened again with a second wash. Then I highlighted again with the steel colour and finally put some little white dots where the light would be picked up. It took a while (one reason I'm not a fan of painting full armour) but it got the effect I was after. I actually thought he was much shinier than I normally do! 

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
Thanks for that! I’ll need to try that sometime!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »
Your painting is so good that it makes the much older sculpts look phenomenal, to the point where I really want them myself (as someone who's very indifferent toward Oldhammer). I'd love to see your work on newer sculpts - not out of disrespect toward the older models, just curious to see how you manage to make cleaner sculpts pop.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords