Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:10:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686602
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100880 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #600 on: October 23, 2021, 12:00:47 PM »
Okay, after the teasing pictures of some of the support players, here are the main characters from Citadel's 'The Magnificent Sven' scenario, all 7 of them. I've stuck pretty close to the colour schemes as shown in the little 'cardboard cut-out' illustrations that came with it, with a few aesthetic or common sense changes here and there.

The players are as follows -

Sven Haslefresian, a Norse Dwarf engineer and major hero. The shield was simplified down to a red & gold colour scheme (not to make it easier, but because I think it looks better), with the general design and most of the elements remaining the same, except I changed it to a hammer that matched his own magic hammer (the original design had an axe ... why? when Sven carries a hammer and is an engineer!).

Juggo Jorikson, a Norse Dwarf berserker. Yes, he's meant to have turquoise hair, because he dyes it. Juggo also appears in McDeath for some reason, although he (weirdly) seems to swap from being a human to a dwarf halfway through the scenario!

Karra Lakota, an Amazon renegade. I absolutely adore the 80's punk-pop style of the old Amazon figures and yes, I did Google 'punk make-up' to help paint her face! The backstory of the (white, all-female) Amazons in Lustria hints at them being Norse settlers who somehow managed to produce all-female babies, but if I was painting them for myself I would probably make them darker skinned.

Aygar Mistletaine, a Norse Human wizard. I'm never sure about OSL (object source lighting effect) and I'm not overly confident with it, so when I have to do it (it's a glowing cross he has, I couldn't dodge it) I try to go minimal, so it's worked okay. The fancy robes, faded and shabby, took ages but look how I wanted.

Riolta Snow, a Sea Elf archer. She probably has the most changes, with the purple of her skirt toned down and all her gold decoration changed to silver, which seemed more Sea-Elfy. I also subtly introduced a wave and scale design to her shoulders.

Raidocks Timmowit, a Halfling adventurer. He's wearing gear borrowed from Sven, having rocked up in Lustria with nothing, which explains why nothing fits properly.

Karl Ustracutter, a Norse Human hero. Yes, the shield. There's no way round it, this did take some time. I really wanted the 'Evil Sun' design (a great bit of graphic design that was used almost universally back in the day, with no explanation) to be more authentic, with a smaller face sitting lower down within the red circle. But it was just too small! I couldn't do it! This was as small as I could make it, without losing all the detail, so there we go. The B&W checks running outside were a matter of putting little white blobs down in the right places, then neatening up at the end with thin black paint to get crisp lines and edges. Thin brush, thin paint, patience, that's the only way I can do it.

Enjoy!

Sven

Juggo

Karra

Aygar

Riolta

Raidocks

Karl

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:56:04 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #601 on: October 23, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
I am used to seeing great paint jobs in this thread, but these are just amazing! There are so many details painted in that make these figures pop.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #602 on: October 23, 2021, 06:20:32 PM »
Damn! Really nice work !!  :o

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #603 on: October 23, 2021, 08:10:38 PM »
Great work!

I have a lot of nostalgia for this scenario, as I think it was in the first Citadel Compendium I ever owned, with line drawings of figures.

Never played it, and only recently discovered I actually have a few of the figures in my stash.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #604 on: October 23, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »
Very good things here. Karl's shield is the business. And the magic user is just spectacular. And the turquoise hair. And so many other things too, as has been said. A real treat to see them all together.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #605 on: October 23, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
I think those guys and gals are truly breathtaking. I thought your painting could not get any better till you dropped that bunch on us. Your miniatures bring me a lot of joy! I hope we get a new update soon!

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #606 on: October 23, 2021, 08:56:12 PM »
Pure delight in seeing such classic models being brought to life with simply breathtaking painting…wow wow wow

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #607 on: October 23, 2021, 09:31:33 PM »
Fab! I believe I have that dwarf sitting on my painting desk :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #608 on: October 23, 2021, 10:16:16 PM »
Wonderful work.  Outstanding

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #609 on: October 24, 2021, 07:24:15 AM »
Fantastic work cubs. They look brilliant

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #610 on: October 24, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
Beautiful

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #611 on: October 24, 2021, 02:15:29 PM »
fantastic- Ilike the slightly desaturated palate . it takes a lot of skill to make those colours work but amazed at how well you pulled that off

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #612 on: October 24, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
OMG!
Thanks for sharing

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #613 on: October 24, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »
Love seeing those Sven figures again, and beautifully painted. Truth is Paul, no dingily dell painter (Citadel) ever did these this well back in the day. No way.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #614 on: October 24, 2021, 06:54:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad they have pleased. In truth they're such lovely models with a detailed background, it makes the painter's job a lot easier.

Love seeing those Sven figures again, and beautifully painted. Truth is Paul, no dingily dell painter (Citadel) ever did these this well back in the day. No way.

Oh you, don't stop. I do think we often improve by seeing what others are doing and trying to emulate that, or even better it. We have access to so many great online tutorials and techniques these days, due to the generosity of so many talented painters, we can just keeping pushing ourselves. If we look back to the days of the GW 'Eavy Metal in-house painters 20, 30yrs ago we would look at them in awe and think there's no way we could get close to that standard. But the standards have moved on and it's more accessible to all of us now.