Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 105218 times)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #780 on: January 09, 2024, 06:42:43 PM »
Agree with all the others - absolutely fantastic work!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #781 on: January 09, 2024, 09:47:07 PM »
Purty.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #782 on: January 09, 2024, 10:52:58 PM »
They're gorgeous!

Your RuneQuest series is reinforcing my growing belief that Glorantha looks best in miniature when it involves the Perrys filtering Luise Perrin's early RQ illustrations, big-nosed trolls and all. (I also think that Glorantha as a game world was better when it was more lightly sketched in the 80s and less about the earnest anthropological treatises and what precisely your character's grandparents did during Starbrow's Revolt ...).

The chaos conversion is wonderful - and it's always good to see Proto-Slambo!

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #783 on: January 10, 2024, 08:30:07 AM »
Bugger! Can it be pinned? If not you could try my method by grinding down a waste bit of flat metal (tweezers in my case) with a nice pointy root to slide into a drilled hole in the handle.
Don't worry Cubs, I managed to pin it (through gritted teeth!)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #784 on: February 02, 2024, 08:58:39 AM »
Cubs your a master at this painting thing, pure gold.  :-*
The shield on that dwarf is next level.

Just making a comment so I can keep up to date with all the eye candy. Keep it up.

Matt

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2024, 05:19:22 PM »
Some more old Citadel lovelies on commish, mostly C-series. I've been experimenting with a slightly different method of painting cloaks, leaving a dark shade towards the bottom and in deep creases during the early layering, then highlighting up more on the shoulders, but with rich colour not too bleached out with white. I wanted to more accurately convey the way light affects cloth and I'm happy with how it's going.

This guy's an old FF Goblin, the first Citadel ever made I'm told.

C-Series Fighter with big scimitar. I wanted to keep him very dark and sinister, so I went and had fun with the shield instead (the metal edging is painted on).

C-Series Fighter. The sword may have been a normal short sword, but suffered damage over time that changed its shape, but anyway I painted it as a cleaver-type sword.

C-Series Fighter. I wanted him to look like a Knight Errant on a quest in the wilderness, with grubby armour and a rough cloth cloak.

C-Series Thief. I blacked out the edging of the sword to give it a really crisp, clean line (the old metals can be wobbly) and I'm happy how it's turned out.

C-Series Fighter. I thought he was a Thief when I took the pics and only found out he should have been with the Fighters when I was checking later. Oh well. I used a similar technique with his sword as well and wanted a really bright contrast with the shiny metal being drawn from the scabbard for a dramatic effect.

C-Series Thief. This guy confused me to start with because I couldn't quite work out what he had in his right hand. I've painted it as a stick, which I decided it probably was, although that's not the most impressive weapon. Then again, he is a Thief, not a warrior. EDIT: Just found out, he's actually a C-Series Wizard and the stick is a wand! Good job I painted it as a stick then.

C-Series Thief. This guy is a variant of a model I've already painted, the dude with the broad-brimmed hat. It's pretty much the same model other than that. He certainly has some Elf ancestry going on.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 06:56:40 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #786 on: March 24, 2024, 05:23:50 PM »
Breathtaking as always!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #787 on: March 24, 2024, 06:31:04 PM »
Those are just beautiful! As always, I love the palette you’re using, it just suits these adventurers. The painted- on metal edging on the dark palette fighter looks very convincing- I would have sworn it was part of the model.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #788 on: March 24, 2024, 08:03:19 PM »
Wonderful!

Is that a rescuplted or replaced shield on the goblin, or is it a variant? I have a few of those with a raggedy wolf emblem rather than a skull. Looks great in any case!

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #789 on: March 24, 2024, 08:26:50 PM »
Fantastic work! The eyepatch thief is probably my favourite.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #790 on: March 24, 2024, 08:37:29 PM »
Yes the eye patch thief is my favourite as well.

Cubs just stunning, and you have done a remarkable job identifying each bit of the model while painting. That's an art on itself with some old minis!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #791 on: March 24, 2024, 09:15:29 PM »
Wonderful!

Is that a rescuplted or replaced shield on the goblin, or is it a variant? I have a few of those with a raggedy wolf emblem rather than a skull. Looks great in any case!

Not replaced, so I guess it must be a variant. I really do not like the big chunky SKULLZ on the old shields. There's an Orc Bodyguard model with a similar one (the dude with 2-handed axe) against a stipply background ... it's a horrible blight on a great model.

Cubs just stunning, and you have done a remarkable job identifying each bit of the model while painting. That's an art on itself with some old minis!

Ain't that the truth! No explanation as to what it is, it's just some stuff the sculptor put on. There was one a few years back where the model had an odd-shaped pipe sticking out of his mouth. I contacted the Perry's just on the off chance they could remember what it was and they got back to say they had no idea! I did it vaguely brown. If in doubt, paint it vaguely brown.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #792 on: March 25, 2024, 03:31:06 PM »
It's crazy how much more characterful the older sculpts are.  Nice work, as usual.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #793 on: March 25, 2024, 04:33:18 PM »
These are amazing.

I actually have a copy of the FF goblin with the same sheild design so I guess it was pot luck which one you got. Was one if the first figures I ever bought (new as well!) and currently sits under several coats of thick enamel.... I'd strip it off but am convinced that's all that's holding the axe head on!

The fighter drawing his rapier is a perfect likeness of my old fencing tutor, Bill. Lovely work.   8)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #794 on: March 28, 2024, 09:29:58 AM »
I'm happy with how it's going.

As well you should be - magnificent work, Mr Cubs. Magnificent work!