Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100804 times)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »
Okay, I've actually put it down now, so I kind of have to do it.

I've had this idea in the back of my mind for ages to grab some of the old Runequest models I played with as a kid (they all belonged to my brother) and paint them up.

First up is the unaligned adventurer from the Runequest Adventurers #2 boxed set, but I've painted him up as Daka Fal, with a spirit rune on his shield. This guy is one of my all time favourites - just such a classic, simple pose but one that is still full of dynamism. He sums up the aesthetic joys of Oldhammer collecting to me - a bit of wistful sentimentality that reminds me of my childhood, combined with wonderful sculpting (but awful casting by today's standards).

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:31:56 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Runequest - nostalgia project
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
Brilliant! Superb paintwork on a terrific miniature (I have him somewhere, but with his legs long detached from his ankles, I fear...). The weathering on the shield is fantastic.

There's a real magic about those old Perry sculpts. I love the fact that the adventurer actually looks like an adventurer, complete with baggage and gear. This thread could be just the inspiration I need to set to work on my long-neglected stockpile of broo.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
That's a good plan - I haven't got the Broo sets and in all fairness, lovely as they are, I just can't afford the emotional or financial outlay to start collecting them now.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
Watching intently! My own RQ project has just started (again!) and this will be some fine inspiration. Great painting!
The Broo are still some of my favorite minis of all time, but the Trolls... Not so much! ::)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
I really like the trolls, it's just a pity that they're not proper Runequest trolls with dog faces.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
Oh now that is lovely! Beautifully grungy and battleworn, I love it.  8)

I think I have this figure in the bottom of a box somewhere, with some others of the range - a Hercules type with a club, an archer and one in similar armour to this but with a two handed sword. They have languished there for a few years as they are old, rough casts but seeing this makes me want to get them out for a clean up and see what I can do... 

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
I think I have this figure in the bottom of a box somewhere, with some others of the range - a Hercules type with a club, an archer and one in similar armour to this but with a two handed sword.

The club fella sounds like the Issaries adventurer from the box #1. The archer sounds like the Aldyra adventurer from box #2. The guy with the two-handed sword could either be the Humankt adventurer from box #1 or the Orlanth adventurer (my next subject) from box #2.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
I bow to your superior knowledge, you may as well be typing random letters as far as I'm concerned as I have no experience of RQ and inherited the figures from a friend.

People keep telling me its a great system/world but I've just never had the opportunity to try it.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
I haven't played the game in 30 years or so - I understand the various versions changed a bit over the years. But basically the players can choose to follow a certain cult, which has various traits with its advantages and disadvantages and allows them to interact with other cults in certain ways. Just one of the nice bits of flavour to make Runequest stand out from similar D&D style games.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 03:27:53 PM »
I really like the trolls, it's just a pity that they're not proper Runequest trolls with dog faces.
In fairness to Citadel they do match the pre trollpak artwork from Runemasters very well. Trollpak defined the Gloranthan troll with the Lisa A Free artwork.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »
In fairness to Citadel they do match the pre trollpak artwork from Runemasters very well. Trollpak defined the Gloranthan troll with the Lisa A Free artwork.

Ah, is that how it happened? I always wondered why they didn't match properly.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 05:55:48 PM »
Gosh, I that’s come out well.
I’ve so much nostalgia for this range ... probably a good idea to avoid eBay for a few days.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
That shield...  :o

Offline Blasphemia Blackwood

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »
Exquisite! The colour palette is appealing, and the wear and tear on the shield is so well done. Looking forward to the next one.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
Excellent Cubs. I had that whole original boxed set of Runequest figures. Thought I still had them somewhere, but looked for them a while back and couldn’t find them. Must have sold them on... Wish I hadn’t now...  :'(