Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:13:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689711
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 739
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 104340 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: Runequest - nostalgia project
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 08:34:36 PM »
Lovely

Do you have any ducks coming?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »
Excellent Cubs. I had that whole original boxed set of Runequest figures. Thought I still had them somewhere, but looked for them a while back and couldn’t find them. Must have sold them on... Wish I hadn’t now...  :'(

They not overly expensive, I'm pleased to say. You can pick them up for about £5-£10ea even on eBay, and I managed to buy a full boxed set for £40 on a FB trading page.

Lovely

Do you have any ducks coming?

The duck is on the list.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
Had a look and yes I have all the figures I thought I had, lovely dynamic sculpts, I think they may have to feel a brush soon,but only to preserve them from the rot.

I also seem to have two copies of another figure in a Corinthian helmet striking out from behind a figure eight shield (sorry, don't know if they have real name looks kinda like a cello...)

They're old casts with all the attendant mould line issues, but does anyone want the spare?  ???

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 09:21:39 PM »
Let's make this easy for everyone:
http://solegends.com/citrq/index.htm

Gosh, I that’s come out well.
I’ve so much nostalgia for this range ... probably a good idea to avoid eBay for a few days.

This. Very much!

Agreed. I played a Trollpack Dark Troll for years, so I'm very particular. So far, only an old Ral Partha sculpt got it right, and even that one was scaled wrong.
I really like the trolls, it's just a pity that they're not proper Runequest trolls with dog faces.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »
I played a Trollpack Dark Troll for years

Me too! He was a beast and my favourite character by far.

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »
Mad Knight Castings do some really good uz. Rapier Miniatures also do a few decent uz.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 01:56:08 AM »
Mad Knight Castings do some really good uz. Rapier Miniatures also do a few decent uz.

Both are too cartoony for my tastes. I'm painting up the Rapier right now, so I hope I can make them work. The Great Troll in the beetle armour is pretty nice, and the Morokanth are excellent, but the Dark Troll is all wrong proportionately.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
When you get them finished, please share. I'd love to see some decent photos of them!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
Ah, is that how it happened? I always wondered why they didn't match properly.

Here's a French blog that shows the progression of the Gloranthan troll. The Citadel ones are very close to those original Luise Perrin illustrations.

This settles the question, I think, of whether they were RQ trolls or Citadel ogres/night goblins/red goblins first (they haunt the broader Citadel ranges in those guises; e.g. the Kyger Litor types are ogresses and the dark troll with the axe is a red goblin champion).

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
I wonder what made them swap from the big noses to muzzles? Incidentally, as loth as I am to mutilate classic old models, I've bought some broken Runequest trolls from eBay on the cheap with a mind to converting them into muzzle faced versions. Bit of fun really.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
I wonder what made them swap from the big noses to muzzles? Incidentally, as loth as I am to mutilate classic old models, I've bought some broken Runequest trolls from eBay on the cheap with a mind to converting them into muzzle faced versions. Bit of fun really.

I'd guess it was part of a general process whereby Gloranthan trolls, elves and dwarves became more distinct from their generic namesakes and more properly Aldryami, Mostali and Uz. Even in RQ2, those things look pretty generic (the trolls have become a bit more orc-like). But look at the Mostali now:

I've acquired a batch of the goofy GW orcs for purposes of speed-painting a HotT army. But I've been thinking of snouting some of them up as RQ trolls, as they're suitably pot-bellied, muscular and top-knotted. They're also about the right size for Dark Trolls. And the comic aspect might even work OK too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:36:30 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
I've acquired a batch of the goofy GW orcs for purposes of speed-painting a HotT army. But I've been thinking of snouting some of them up as RQ trolls, as they're suitably pot-bellied, muscular and top-knotted. They're also about the right size for Dark Trolls. And the comic aspect might even work OK too.

This is a good shout.

Offline Duff

• Scientist
    • Duff Paint
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
Love your take on a Daka Fal cultist Cubs. For trolls, there's the Fenris trio, they are massive hunks of metal mind, proper looking trolls though.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »
Excellent Cubs. I had that whole original boxed set of Runequest figures. Thought I still had them somewhere, but looked for them a while back and couldn’t find them. Must have sold them on... Wish I hadn’t now...  :'(

Not finding something in the lead pile doesn't mean it's not there.  lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Old Citadel FTF series Paladin
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
A couple of months ago a very kind member of the Oldhammer FB group (or it could have been a member on here, I'm afraid I've completely forgotten who it was!) donated this battered old Runequest model to me.

This member had seen me bring new life to another old Runequest model and figured, since he was never goings to tackle this model and it'd probably end up in the bin, I might as well have a crack at it. Poor old model's sword was miscast or broken off, he was on the verge of lead rot and the shield had a lump missing off the side. Apart from that though, he was a lovely old figure, one I'd never seen before (he's a lunar cult member, from the less well known 'Humans and Aldryani' boxed set).

Despite the issues, I was pretty sure a little TLC would bring the best out of him again, so I set to work replacing the sword with a bit of metal from an old set of tweezers, ground down into shape with my mini-drill. The shield was repaired with greenstuff.

It took me a couple of weeks inbetween paying painting work, but I finally got him finished this week. I wanted him to be wearing polished hard leather armour and have an oxhide shield, as a slight break from the norm. What a handsome chap, and a reminder that even an ugly old model is not necessarily a lost cause.

q
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:14:06 AM by Cubs »