Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100553 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2019, 12:42:54 AM »
Great project. Painting a clinically smooth digital figure to a nice look is pretty easy, but getting this great and specific look out of these old minis a.) doesn't only tickle the nostalgia bone, but b.) is the sign of really competent painting. Love the skin on those orcs especially.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
I thought I'd share some elderly miniatures who have been in the wars and needed some TLC to avoid being binned. I get a lot of joy from nursing these veterans back to something like their former glory.

Sometimes I want to recreate as faithfully as possible the original miniature, replacing weapons and making repairs that (I hope) will be invisible once painted. Sometimes I want to make something a bit different.

Going left to right on the first photo -

Orc chieftain with scimitar and flail (1) - this guy is one of the longest serving mins in my collection. I've had him since the early 80's and I butchered him quite badly back then, chopping off his hand (to replace it with an axe hand!) and grinding off the chains of the flail to give him a shield. He's also the closest thing I have to Barry Sheen (younger members are encouraged to Google him) with so many repairs, most people would have binned him.

I replaced the scimitar hand with a plastic zombie hand (with thumb removed and a new greenstuff one added in the right position), a ground-metal blade (a variant of this model had a scimitar blade close to this shape, but I was working from memory!), greenstuff hilt, a new wire flail haft and metal chains (probably too bulky, but it was the closest I had, size-wise) with repaired greenstuff weights. He also snapped off at the ankles during the repair, so he needed re-pinning with greenstuff patches over the join.

Orc chieftain with scimitar and flail (2) - just a greenstuff repair to a miscast end of the flail haft and a new ground-metal blade.

Orc chieftain with axe - the whole of the axed above the hand had snapped off, so I replaced the haft with wire and then covered it with greenstuff and lightly scored it for the woodgrain effect. A new axe head was painstakingly made to try to match the original as closely as possible (an original is shown behind for comparison).

Armoured Orc with large mace - the head of the mace was missing, so a new one was made from greenstuff. I stupidly tried to match the position of the rivets to the original (shown behind for comparison), which in hindsight was probably pointless attention to detail!

Armoured Orc with sword and shield (1) - the sword blade was snapped off by the edge of the shield, so an extension was made from plasticard and pinned in place, with the join covered by greenstuff.

Armoured Orc with sword and shield (2) - he had snapped off at the ankles (a common mishap with many of the C15/16 Orcs I believe). He's another contestant for the title of longest serving miniature and he has also sat crippled in my collection for over 30yrs, waiting to be repaired. He's just been drilled and pinned with the joins covered with greenstuff.

Second photo -

Great Troll adventurer (1) - this guys always seems to lose his maul. Since I already have an original model with maul intact, I decided to have a little fun. His original maul has been replaced with a slightly different version, made from a chopped-down section of standard from the plastic Ogre sprue. I have also built up his shield into a dome ready for a nice design I have planned.

Great Troll adventurer (2) - I wanted this variant to have a much shorter weapon, and also repositioned the hands to hold it in a different angle. I specifically wanted a weapon that looked like he could use it in one hand as well (he does have a shield after all, and no other weapon in sight!). I originally had a larger war hammer sculpted, but chopping it down to a simpler model seemed to work better with the aesthetics. Hammer head is made from plasticard and the haft is wire covered in greenstuff.

Half Orc - the long blade with this weapon (what would you call it, a glaive I guess?) rarely seems to have survived the years, so I picked him up cheap and added the blade made from ground metal. I fond it difficult to get the correct length and the notches in the right place, since I was working from an old Citadel illustration.

Great Trolls - these guys are in the waiting room. Since I already have an original model intact, I will be experimenting with these guys and having fun. I don't like the original pose very much to be honest (heresy!) so I may try to reposition him a bit to show a bit more life. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:34:31 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
Fantastic stuff - completely agree on the enjoyment to be got from repairing ancient lead.

Those are some grand repair and reconditioning jobs you've done there; looking forward to seeing them painted (obviously) but it's fascinating to see them like this. Very inspiriational.

I've a pile of similarly broken and/or half-fixed old warriors that I really ought to attend to...

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
Wonderful. So many old Citadel minis need work to repair  >:(

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
I love this and absolutely get the pleasure you find renovating these veterans - I'm very similar.

Would absolutely kill to have my original Half-Orc collection back again!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »
Nice stuff. Love fixin up old minis :-)
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 05:12:56 PM »
I enjoyed that Cubs. More please!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
As part of an ongoing 'Tragedy of McDeath' commission for a customer, this time it was the turn of the Maltmen (and one Maltwoman), tough brewery workers sworn to defend their precious whisky barrels, and their leader Brooben Keyler. Brooben himself is the 'official' McDeath miniature (also part of Citadel's old Thief range) and since there were no official Maltmen figures, they are hereby represented by various old Citadel club-armed peasants, rogues and wascally wuffians (including a Judge Dredd perp!) … so … much … brown ...

Brooben himself has in his mouth an odd object, which no-one could quite identify (not even the Perry twins themselves, who sculpted him but couldn't remember what it was meant to be!), so we plumped for an ornate pipe carved in the shape of a skull, with a little chain. It may or may not be correct, but it was our best guess.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »
PS. Spot the Patrick Stewart lookalike!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
Wow they look great!

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
Incredible painting. The old citadel ranges have bags of character :D
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 10:23:40 PM »
Beautiful work, Cubs.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 11:50:15 PM »
Great work Paul. I didn't recognise some of those Maltmen. A couple of them were from the Elric range originally did you know? They were the Beggar King's army.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2019, 01:06:19 AM »
Well well, those are amazing I must say.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2019, 01:25:38 AM »
Mother of the gods, those are nice.

:o
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."