Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689677
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 104322 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad it's spreading a little Oldhammer love. I don't hate new stuff, I just enjoy smearing myself in nostalgia and sitting in it so the waft reaches others.

Interesting side note (to me at least) but I’ve been thinking about how my painting is evolving as my eyes get older. I seem to be slowly moving towards increased contrast - sharper edges and stronger colours. I think it’s easier on my eyes these days  :)

I think I am too. I'm finding that when I've 'finished' a model these days I'll often look at it, then um and ah, then give it a little dab of pure white somewhere (see the cheek of the woodsman or the spike on Spot's tail) - just a tiny bit to draw the eye - and then I use a dark wash to add a depth of shadow somewhere else (Spot's belly, Arka's mail shirt) to drag the contrast in the colours out a bit more.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »
Great stuff! The hound is brilliant - and all that effort with the tail has really paid off. He's come out (damn Spot!) superbly.

Side-note: is that really Juggo Joriksonn? I thought he was a Norse dwarf!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:35:34 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Side-note: is that really Juggo Joriksonn? I thought he was a Norse dwarf!

That worm-can is most displeasing. The official Citadel miniature for Juggo is the mad Norse Dwarf berserker type with two swords (as seen earlier in this thread), BUT the fluff in the scenario and the illustrations for Juggo, show him as a bearded human with an axe (very similar to this guy). BUT the illustration in the character section shows him with two eyes, whereas the playing counter shows him with a black eye patch! Frankly it's enough to make me despair.

Basically, whatever the guys at Citadel were smoking/drinking while they cobbled the whole McDeath thing together, it seems to have resulted in no-one talking to anyone else and the official miniatures (usually taken from the existing Citadel ranges) in particular often bear little or no resemblance to the characters, which is doubly confusing because there were much more accurate figures already in the Citadel ranges that could have been used. One wonders if it was to do with production problems, or lack of stock, or details being changed at the 11th hour, or just plain old rushing to get it all published for a deadline.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:13 PM »
I see - that's quite a tangled tale! To make matters, this guy (or the matching miniature) was the official Juggo Jorikson in The Magnificent Sven, a year or two before:

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
Ah, now to tangle the skein yet further, that set of legs is clearly the ones used on the Arka Zargul model, but with a different top half!

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
So many figures of that era have the same basic "dollies".

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2019, 12:03:07 PM »
The Mcdeath miniatures are superb
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
Hopefully this is now the last Juggo to go with this McDeath collection. This time he's the Talisman Woodsman, with added eye-patch.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »
I just took some time going through this thread- I'm so impressed with the dirty, worn, "lived-in" effect you get on your miniatures. They  match up so well with the picture in my mind when I think of what these characters/creatures would look like if they were real.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
Thanks, but in all honesty it's an easy effect - usually just a bit of dark brown wash and/or a quick drybrush with a muddy colour. I mix my own colour combinations as well, so I have a lot of very handy brown shades already to go.

Offline peleset

• Librarian
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »
Brown is truly the colour of life.

Please, keep splashing that brown around!
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
Wonderful stuff. Thanks for the weathering info for your browns. My browns always tend to be too muddy or slightly grey.  :(

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
More selfish indulgence this week with a little break between paying jobs.

First up is a Great Troll Adventurer from the Runequest Humanoid Adventurers boxed set. I bought him cheap in a job lot with other broken Runequest Trolls because his weapon was missing, so he has received a new maul, very similar to his original, made from parts of a leftover plastic Ogre standard I found in my bits box. He has also had his small shield built into a dome with putty, so I could put a scarab design on it. I don't know if he was an unfortunate recast, or just a poorly cast original, but there is a dirty great lump of waste metal under his right arm, which instead of trying to remove, I just painted as another box or satchel he is carrying. I love that he is so fully kitted out for adventuring!

Now I don't usually show unfinished models, but I thought I'd give a sneak peek of a longish project I'm working on, namely the Goblin Warlord from the old Nick Lund Goblin Warlord Chariot (it also appears under various similar names). The shield is painted to go with the rest of my (still theoretical) Malal Warband, in the black and white design.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »
I love that troll adventurer.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/