Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 104281 times)

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
Outstanding. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the goblin!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2019, 06:44:18 PM »
That Runequest troll is both an excellent sculpt and extremely well painted.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2019, 12:54:49 AM »
Brilliant on both!

The way you've brought Bogdan Legbreak to life is astounding. Are you doing the full chariot, or is he destined for some other project?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2019, 08:21:20 AM »
Brilliant on both!

The way you've brought Bogdan Legbreak to life is astounding. Are you doing the full chariot, or is he destined for some other project?

I'm doing the chariot, but it's one of those time-consuming jobs that I'm sulking about and avoiding as much as possible. All that bare wood … and the wolves … don't get me wrong, I do love the distinct Nick Lind flavour to the wolves, but those deep set eye sockets and the mad fur texture … let's just say I'm one of life's prevaricators and I keep giving it the mañana treatment.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2019, 09:55:05 AM »
I saw this and decided to dig out the ones I have and give them some TLC, very inspiring so thanks for that.
I'm in the process of cleaning and repairing.
Okay, I've actually put it down now, so I kind of have to do it.

I've had this idea in the back of my mind for ages to grab some of the old Runequest models I played with as a kid (they all belonged to my brother) and paint them up.

First up is the unaligned adventurer from the Runequest Adventurers #2 boxed set, but I've painted him up as Daka Fal, with a spirit rune on his shield. This guy is one of my all time favourites - just such a classic, simple pose but one that is still full of dynamism. He sums up the aesthetic joys of Oldhammer collecting to me - a bit of wistful sentimentality that reminds me of my childhood, combined with wonderful sculpting (but awful casting by today's standards).

Offline MrMidblight

• Student
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2019, 10:16:21 AM »
Just dipping into the thread.

- Lovely stuff, that Talisman woodsman is OldHammer eyecandy!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2019, 10:54:12 AM »
I saw this and decided to dig out the ones I have and give them some TLC, very inspiring so thanks for that.
I'm in the process of cleaning and repairing.

Good to hear! The old Runequest models are beautifully sculpted and often overlooked, being indifferently casted (casted? cast?) and 'true' 25mm scale and a little on the small side. But they have such charm and paint up so nicely. The detail is crisp and would respond well to inks and washes to bring out texture. 

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2019, 10:59:10 AM »
I'm glad the thread is spreading a little joy, the models do lighten my heart.

And as if to reinforce the theory that nothing is as desirable to us as something we once had and lost, this peerlessly vintage C20 Troll, revelling in the name 'Shakined Bone Bender' is a model I once owned and to my shame, sold off years ago. I managed to buy one on eBay a while back (for a lot more than I sold mine for of course) and he has been sat on the desk gathering dust for months. I have finally got round to putting some paint on this glorious old sculpt, arguably the best Troll Citadel ever made.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
I love that figure, and I love your paint job.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2019, 11:48:06 AM »
I m not often speechless but the troll is wow. The skin tones are superb with the variations of tone  cubs. First class
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
Not sure that’s the best troll they ever did but it’s pretty fantastic!

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »
That's just gorgeous! Love this sculpt and I check eBay every now and then in the hopes of finding one at a reasonable price. I think there's a bit of its design DNA in GWs latest trolls (or troggoths).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »
Superb! It's inspired me to dig my Shakined out of the lead pile and slap on a gesso undercoat (for nothing more than a quick 'n' dirty speed-paint, mind).

I'd tend to agree that he's the best GW troll; certainly, that C20 range is unsurpassed, I think, though, that I might struggle to pick out a favourite. Facially, Shakined's the odd one out, as he doesn't have the Scandinavian-style droopy troll noses of the others. But he does have the advantage of being immortalised in interior artwork in various editions of Warhammer:

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
Facially, Shakined's the odd one out, as he doesn't have the Scandinavian-style droopy troll noses of the others. But he does have the advantage of being immortalised in interior artwork in various editions of Warhammer:

Yeah, he's certainly unique, which is his charm for me. His features are so comical - the big flappy ears, pot belly, spindly legs - that I felt he needed 'nastying-up' a little. It's one reason why I went for black, beady eyes, so he'd look a little more sinister. I also felt that the dried dark blood on the bone was nastier than dripping red somehow.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:52:56 PM by Cubs »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
I also felt that the dried dark blood on the bone was nastier than dripping red somehow.

I noticed that: it works really well. He's done this before ...