Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 105044 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2019, 08:17:18 PM »
Absolutely bloody brilliant  8) 8) 8)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »
There's a lot to love in this thread. The painting is superb, especially when you consider how rough and ready some classic citadel scuplts  can be, not to mention the iffy quality of a lot of the casts.
Top painting Cubs, particularly love your metals.
Keep 'em coming.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
The latest addition looks wonderful!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
Those C20 Trolls are new to me. What a bunch of cool models. Thanks Cubs for broadening my horizon again ;) Your painting is awsome as always. I am so happy when I come on here and see that you have update your thread. Please keep on doing what you do....

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2019, 12:16:23 AM »
That's glorious! A sculpt ahead of its time I'd say!

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
This is a great thread. Really nice work and a nostalgia trip too.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »
Lovely, characterful work.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2019, 09:43:35 PM »
Nice painting.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:00:30 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »
Got my lads ready to paint

Citadel and ral Partha

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »
Go man, go!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »
Orctober is on us! Here's the compulsory Orc for the annual tradition, along with a little story. He's the last one of the C15 Armoured Orcs I decided to collect a couple of years back, and he led me a merry dance indeed. When I did find him listed somewhere he was insanely overpriced. I don't know if he was rare, or I was just having crappy luck. When I finally saw him one day for £2.99 on eBay, I snapped him up sharpish.

I don't normally take so many angles on the photos, but his face has some great detail, like the scar on his right cheek, and a beard! Whoever heard of a hairy Orc? Ah, the old days of variety in sculpting, rather than the generic computer-generated faces. With that in mind, note the hairy leg. I suppose it could have been chainmail or animal skin trousers, but it just looks like he's a particularly hirsute individual (he could probably pass for a Hobgoblin or small Bugbear as well).

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Yeah, one of my favorite pre-slotta Orcs, this one. PJ and basing of course excellent as always ;-).
Leadhead

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2019, 12:00:25 AM »
Brilliant as ever! Lovely muted tones. As always, the richness of the colours in the teeth (in particular) is astonishing.

Orctober is on us! Here's the compulsory Orc for the annual tradition, along with a little story. He's the last one of the C15 Armoured Orcs I decided to collect a couple of years back, and he led me a merry dance indeed. When I did find him listed somewhere he was insanely overpriced. I don't know if he was rare, or I was just having crappy luck. When I finally saw him one day for £2.99 on eBay, I snapped him up sharpish.

He's definitely much rarer than his sickle-wielding headmate (this guy), who seems to turn up all the time. And he shares a body with one of the two dart-throwers in the range.

I don't normally take so many angles on the photos, but his face has some great detail, like the scar on his right cheek, and a beard! Whoever heard of a hairy Orc? Ah, the old days of variety in sculpting, rather than the generic computer-generated faces. With that in mind, note the hairy leg. I suppose it could have been chainmail or animal skin trousers, but it just looks like he's a particularly hirsute individual (he could probably pass for a Hobgoblin or small Bugbear as well).

You know, I think GW created the notion of hairless orcs at some point in the 90s, for reasons unknown. Tolkien's orcs were hairy: one of the Uruk-hai has a "hairy ear and filthy jowl", and Grishnakh's "hairy arms" are mentioned a couple of times.

And Warhammer orcs/goblins were (sometimes) hairy for quite a while. Besides this orc's head (on its two bodies), there's a long-haired C15 armoured orc (the one with two clubs), and then there's the fellow with the Leatherface-style metal helmet: he has a pointy beard poking out from beneath his face-plate. The Great Goblins were quite a beardy lot too.

With the slottabased ranges, things became a bit more standardised, but quite a few Kev Adams goblins still sport impressive moustaches. And the first savage orcs had lots of hair. Some of the Iron Claw black orcs have facial hair, and one or two of the second wave of Space Orks have the odd beard too.

So it's quite odd that they suddenly decided that orcs were hairless (I think it was explicitly stated in the rulebooks at one point).

Anyway, it all serves to reinforce your point about the wonderful variety of the early Citadel ranges. Those C15 orcs had so many traits that vanished from the subsequent ranges, whether it was beards, darts, two-handed swords, paired shortswords, Gene Simmons tongues, walrus tusks or foot-long underbites.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »
Lovely painting on that orc (although I always liked the ridiculous big jawed ones).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:19:44 AM by steders »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
Yeah … I invite you to make your own thread for posting pics of your models though. This is kind of for my stuff.